Double rifle fitting

I googled this a while back. I’ve never been fitted with a try gun but I have been measured. This technique was in the ballpark of those measurements. If you have a fine gun room nearby you could stop by and shoulder weapons until you get one that’s feels like an extension of your body. Copy the dimensions of that firearm.

Correct. I got my own measurements using a method you can google and found it works for me. I might add I have found the hard way LOP is critical to enjoyment with a big bore double

I dabble in trap shooting. At best, dabble.

however, I do love a good excuse for missing and being a pretty short guy, I feel most guns have too long a length of pull.

I don’t know or remember the name but there was a good shotgun fitter in Traverse City Michigan. A Google search should get you in the right direction.

I know a double rifle isn’t a shotgun but it is about all I know about fitting guns. Seems like many people have really strong thoughts on gun fit. But very few actually know or have had it done. Everyone says it’s important.

John.

Brian Balynski at Fieldsport is who you are referring to. He is a good fitter.

So what's the actual problem with the safety/cocker on these though?

Do they take a lot more pressure to operate or what's the deal, does it take 20lbs to operate the safety on these vs. 4lbs for a normal safety...

Or maybe it's not that, maybe the travel is overly long, 1/2" for a normal safety and you have to push the safety's on these Krieghoffs 1 1/2" or something?

And all those numbers are just hypotheticals to make the point, I have no idea what the actual numbers are, just trying to get a feel for why there would be any issue with the way these things have their safety set up.

So what's the actual problem with the safety/cocker on these though?

Do they take a lot more pressure to operate or what's the deal, does it take 20lbs to operate the safety on these vs. 4lbs for a normal safety...

Or maybe it's not that, maybe the travel is overly long, 1/2" for a normal safety and you have to push the safety's on these Krieghoffs 1 1/2" or something?

And all those numbers are just hypotheticals to make the point, I have no idea what the actual numbers are, just trying to get a feel for why there would be any issue with the way these things have their safety set up.
Well, it's a decocker not a safety. In a parallel post with the OP, I've addressed this. The decocker is simple in principle and operation. Some flavor of this is relatively common in German guns. It's simple to use, doesn't take hardly any effort. And for those who can't get this part correct, you do not need to manually recock the action when you break it or reload. If they are set to cocked, they stay that way.

Well, it's a decocker not a safety. In a parallel post with the OP, I've addressed this. The decocker is simple in principle and operation. Some flavor of this is relatively common in German guns. It's simple to use, doesn't take hardly any effort. And for those who can't get this part correct, you do not need to manually recock the action when you break it or reload. If they are set to cocked, they stay that way.

I don't know what "In a parallel post with the OP I've addressed this," means, I didn't see that, didn't see another thread? But maybe I'm misunderstanding

But for more into why I got to wondering about this we need simply look at Rookhawks post back on page 1 post #14 here, in it he notes.

"...I ask because there are very strong feelings about their cocking-safety design. If you love it, more power to you to get what you like. (And it is safer)

The disdain for them effects resale value because the design creates a smaller buyer pool."

If this de-cocker is so straight forward and simple and is no more trouble to operate, how on earth can this be creating such an issue Rookhawk would actually note there's disdain for these rifles because of it?

Is it that people are so used to auto-safeties that come back on when the gun is fired, broke open, then shut again? If I'm reading your reply correctly the Krieghoff will not "auto-safe" but stays on fire, so it would have to be "de-cocked" or what many would likely refer to as "put on safe," manually.

As I contemplate selling off my life, soul, and all my possessions to get a double rifle I've heard this brought up about these Krieghoffs a few times but never really understood what the big deal was here.

How can this be something creating so much disdain for these guns?

You'd have to ask Rookhawks, I can't speak for him, but I think he speculates. I have a Classic and two Blaser BBF with different forms of cocker/decocker and 3 R8 which use a very similar system. IT's quite easy to use. I don not believe there is any disdain except for a select few who don't own one.

I don't know what "In a parallel post with the OP I've addressed this," means, I didn't see that, didn't see another thread? But maybe I'm misunderstanding

But for more into why I got to wondering about this we need simply look at Rookhawks post back on page 1 post #14 here, in it he notes.

"...I ask because there are very strong feelings about their cocking-safety design. If you love it, more power to you to get what you like. (And it is safer)

The disdain for them effects resale value because the design creates a smaller buyer pool."

If this de-cocker is so straight forward and simple and is no more trouble to operate, how on earth can this be creating such an issue Rookhawk would actually note there's disdain for these rifles because of it?

Is it that people are so used to auto-safeties that come back on when the gun is fired, broke open, then shut again? If I'm reading your reply correctly the Krieghoff will not "auto-safe" but stays on fire, so it would have to be "de-cocked" or what many would likely refer to as "put on safe," manually.

As I contemplate selling off my life, soul, and all my possessions to get a double rifle I've heard this brought up about these Krieghoffs a few times but never really understood what the big deal was here.

How can this be something creating so much disdain for these guns?

It’s a good question. I’ll bet a google search would answer it. However, true or not, it has gained momentum in the potential customer base and may affect the value of a resale, whether you agree with the conclusion or not.

That big thumb switch or cocking lever, or safety... whatever you call it, detracts from the classic look of a double. As I mentioned earlier, it may be the best system available, very possible it's the safest. Personally not a fan but I haven't shot one either.

All comes down to personal preference.

As previously mentioned, the kriefhoff cocking mechanism is very safe. If it’s not cocked it will not shoot! However, it is a much longer throw with more pressure than the safety on other doubles. I once hunted hogs with a krieghoff 500/416 that belonged to a friend. Very nice gun and very accurate! After a short range session we went into the bush and stumbled across some hogs in thick cover at close range. In the excitement I short stroked the cocker. In a second or less I corrected the mistake and was able to drop one hog. With more practice it would not be an issue. After a few episodes of Tracks Across Africa, with snap caps and the Krieghoff clicking away at the animals on the flat screen, you’ll be ready for your own safari! I hope your deal works out!

I may just have to schedule a road trip. That sounds like a worthwhile venture, especially since I have not handled or shot any doubles so I don't know exactly what I like.

Be warned, if you head out to visit JJ and Champlin Firearms, he will likely try and sell you on a Chapuis double! He'll tell you it's the best double available at that price point. He convinced me and I love my Chapuis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg