Door trim - mahogany as a gun stock?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
The mahogany trim around our newly installed front door would have made a beautiful rifle stock, though I don't know how that particular wood holds up under recoil. :)

20240112_175210.jpg

There are so many different kinds of mahogany, as illustrated in the photo. Both the door and trim are "mahogany" but different wood and likely from different continents. The door is, I suspect, Philippine mahogany. The trim is obviously something else. In earlier times Cuban mahogany was the most sought after for fine furniture. No longer can be imported due to conservation measures. Philippine mahogany is too soft for gunstocks.

There are so many different kinds of mahogany, as illustrated in the photo. Both the door and trim are "mahogany" but different wood and likely from different continents. The door is, I suspect, Philippine mahogany. The trim is obviously something else. In earlier times Cuban mahogany was the most sought after for fine furniture. No longer can be imported due to conservation measures. Philippine mahogany is too soft for gunstocks.

What about South American mahogany?

It is a great furniture wood, easy to shape and carve finishes to a beautiful color. However it isn't dense enough for a gunstock. When our forefathers had access to all the virgin timber and could use most any wood your never see a mahogany gunstock. Walnut, maple, cherry, mesquite but not mahogany.

Would probably work for a 22LR stock but I would stick with a better option.

Also Tamboti or Sandal wood is used

I think that lead wood would also make a nice grip cap and accent piece on the forend.

The mahogany trim around our newly installed front door would have made a beautiful rifle stock, though I don't know how that particular wood holds up under recoil. :)

View attachment 580039
My opinion - I would Never use Mahogany for a gunstock - unless I was a “Stock maker” and wanted to experiment. I think there is a reason that hardwoods like Walnut & maple are used most commonly - they“work”, proven durability. Mohogany is known for Outdoor Furniture, insect resistance, etc.. Considering a custom gunstock - made from a blank - will cost $2000-$3000+ just for the Labor - why risk it? I understand you’d save some $$$ on the blank because a good Walnut blank will run $500 - $2000 and UP... I do Not have any direct experience with Mohogany except on my deck & some lawn furniture….Maybe some other Members have experience with Mohogany gun stocks ??

My opinion - I would Never use Mahogany for a gunstock - unless I was a “Stock maker” and wanted to experiment. I think there is a reason that hardwoods like Walnut & maple are used most commonly - they“work”, proven durability. Mohogany is known for Outdoor Furniture, insect resistance, etc.. Considering a custom gunstock - made from a blank - will cost $2000-$3000+ just for the Labor - why risk it? I understand you’d save some $$$ on the blank because a good Walnut blank will run $500 - $2000 and UP... I do Not have any direct experience with Mohogany except on my deck & some lawn furniture….Maybe some other Members have experience with Mohogany gun stocks ??
It is actually the classic choice wood for indoor rather than outdoor furniture. Most of our furniture dates from as early as the Georgian (second half of the 18th century) through the French Empire periods. All of our European pieces are either walnut or mahogany with the majority mahogany. Less expensive European, particularly English, furniture will be oak. American furniture from the same period will tend to be cherry and walnut.

Mahogany is a great choice for furniture and for accents (your door frame) or veneers. It is not a good choice for a firearm. My oldest is a is a late 17th century snaphance musket. The Italian maker chose walnut for a reason.

Last edited:
It is actually the classic choice wood for indoor rather than outdoor furniture. Most of our furniture dates from as early as the Georgian (second half of the 18th century) through the French Empire periods. All of our European pieces are either walnut or mahogany with the majority mahogany. Less expensive European, particularly English, furniture will be oak. American furniture from the same period will tend to be cherry and walnut.

Mahogany is a great choice for furniture and for accents (your door frame) or veneers. It is not a good choice for a firearm. My oldest is a is a late 17th century snaphance musket. The Italian maker chose walnut for a reason.
Red, I’ll take your word for it, I’m not a furniture expert - although my outdoor deck and table/benches are all Honduran MahoGany…maybe that’s why they have weathered so badly and some are rotting also. I might as well make a gun stock out of it because it’s gonna be firewood by next year

Red, I’ll take your word for it, I’m not a furniture expert - although my outdoor deck and table/benches are all Honduran MahoGany…maybe that’s why they have weathered so badly and some are rotting also. I might as well make a gun stock out of it because it’s gonna be firewood by next year
Large French Empire (c1825) display/book cabinet flanked by an English rotating book case (c1880) and ladies' roll top secretary (c1860) - all are mahogany.

bookcase6.jpg

Large solid mahogany neoclassical bookcase (c 1875). Early 20th century mahogany pedestal next to it.
bookcase1.jpg

Victorian mahogany veneer bookcase (c1870) with solid mahogany base. The stock on the French musket is of course walnut.
bookcase2.jpg

Last edited:
Large French Empire (c1825) display/book cabinet flanked by an English rotating book case (c1880) and ladies' roll top secretary (c1860) - all are mahogany.

View attachment 580330

Large solid mahogany neoclassical bookcase (c 1875). Early 20th century mahogany pedestal next to it.
View attachment 580331

Victorian mahogany veneer bookcase (c1870) with solid mahogany base. The stock on the French musket is of course walnut.
View attachment 580332
Beautiful furniture Red leg.

View attachment 580330

View attachment 580331

View attachment 580332
Spectacular furniture

On a furniture note. the quality furniture was built out of mahogany all the classic French Empire and Queen Anne are an example. Cherry was used in the lower price point furniture and stained the dark red colors you always see in cherry. The reason for the staining was to try and make it look like mahogany. In the early years of the US as a country cherry and maple were used like pine and particle board today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double