Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA life member
Hunted
Namibia,USA, east cape sa
Years ago I was in a car accident, my right eyebrow and eye lid were plastic surgery repairs, now I’m starting to see results.
I am now left eye dominate. I shoot with both eyes open.
My question to all the knowledge here, is should I start shooting left handed?

I’m cross eye dominant, right handed with left eye dominant. I’ve got no issues shooting rifles right handed and do so, scoped or with open sights. With handguns I shoot right handed while aiming with left eye, I can aim with the right one but it feels less natural. I keep both eyes open with rifles and handguns. Shotgun is harder and most of the time I need to close my left eye while bringing it to the shoulder or else I miss quite badly.

Thanks, I feel my right eye is getting weaker. I’ll keep shooting both eyes open

You should always shoot both eyes open - rifles, shotguns (especially), and handguns. That means you should use your dominate eye for sighting purposes. Sometimes injury does not change the dominate eye. I assume you know how to do the simple test? Point at something both eyes open with your dominant hand, and then cover one eye. If you are still pointing at it with the eye covered, the uncovered eye is dominant.

I'm cross dominant; right handed, left eyed. I have always shot right handed with left eye closed. If I try to shoot both eyes open my left eye "gets in the way" and I can't see my sights except when I'm snap shooting with a fast draw. Fast draw pistol work I don't have time to think about closing one eye and it doesn't affect my scores. I can shoot both pistol and long guns left handed using my left eye, right one closed. Explain that one.

I'm also left eye dominant but still shoot right handed with a rifle, I use both eyes when shooting a pistol and shotgun

If the weaker eye is deteriorating, maybe you should start doing some shooting practice from the other side, just in case. Airgun, rimfire, whatever.

Shooting from the other side is a good skill to have anyway. Some sport science also says that learning to do something with the "wrong" side is good for the brain.

I'm cross dominant; right handed, left eyed. I have always shot right handed with left eye closed. If I try to shoot both eyes open my left eye "gets in the way" and I can't see my sights except when I'm snap shooting with a fast draw. Fast draw pistol work I don't have time to think about closing one eye and it doesn't affect my scores. I can shoot both pistol and long guns left handed using my left eye, right one closed. Explain that one.
We all can shoot with one eye closed - It is just not as effective or quick as using both. It is impossible to shoot a shotgun well with one eye closed. Two eyes provide depth perception. Hitting flying targets depends upon accurately judging speed, angle, and distance simultaneously in three dimensions. In fact when shooting a shotgun, one should never "see" the sight at all, but should focus on the target (why shotgun fit matters so much). I suspect your fast draw work has more to do with shooting flying than in "aiming" in the traditional sense. At least that would my "explanation". :)

I have Macular Degeneration, and had a detached retina in my dominant eye, in the last 2 years. I’m training myself to shoot with my other eye. It’s not going bad, but I lack depth perception at least close up. It’s been a real learning curve over the last 2 years.

Do you know how to determine your dominant eye? As a general rule you will shoot better using it even if it means switching hands. It may take a little time but in the end you will be better off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.