Dominant eye

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by brandondd24, Mar 21, 2019.

1. brandondd24

brandondd24 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life member
    Hunted:
    Namibia,USA, east cape sa
    Years ago I was in a car accident, my right eyebrow and eye lid were plastic surgery repairs, now I’m starting to see results.
    I am now left eye dominate. I shoot with both eyes open.
    My question to all the knowledge here, is should I start shooting left handed?

2. Opposite Pole

Opposite Pole AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
    Hunted:
    Australia, Poland
    I’m cross eye dominant, right handed with left eye dominant. I’ve got no issues shooting rifles right handed and do so, scoped or with open sights. With handguns I shoot right handed while aiming with left eye, I can aim with the right one but it feels less natural. I keep both eyes open with rifles and handguns. Shotgun is harder and most of the time I need to close my left eye while bringing it to the shoulder or else I miss quite badly.

brandondd24 likes this.

3. brandondd24

brandondd24 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life member
    Hunted:
    Namibia,USA, east cape sa
    Thanks, I feel my right eye is getting weaker. I’ll keep shooting both eyes open

4. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    You should always shoot both eyes open - rifles, shotguns (especially), and handguns. That means you should use your dominate eye for sighting purposes. Sometimes injury does not change the dominate eye. I assume you know how to do the simple test? Point at something both eyes open with your dominant hand, and then cover one eye. If you are still pointing at it with the eye covered, the uncovered eye is dominant.

5. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    I'm cross dominant; right handed, left eyed. I have always shot right handed with left eye closed. If I try to shoot both eyes open my left eye "gets in the way" and I can't see my sights except when I'm snap shooting with a fast draw. Fast draw pistol work I don't have time to think about closing one eye and it doesn't affect my scores. I can shoot both pistol and long guns left handed using my left eye, right one closed. Explain that one.

Red Leg, MMAL and brandondd24 like this.

6. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    I'm also left eye dominant but still shoot right handed with a rifle, I use both eyes when shooting a pistol and shotgun

brandondd24 likes this.

7. perttime

perttime AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    If the weaker eye is deteriorating, maybe you should start doing some shooting practice from the other side, just in case. Airgun, rimfire, whatever.

Shooting from the other side is a good skill to have anyway. Some sport science also says that learning to do something with the "wrong" side is good for the brain.

brandondd24 likes this.

8. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    We all can shoot with one eye closed - It is just not as effective or quick as using both. It is impossible to shoot a shotgun well with one eye closed. Two eyes provide depth perception. Hitting flying targets depends upon accurately judging speed, angle, and distance simultaneously in three dimensions. In fact when shooting a shotgun, one should never "see" the sight at all, but should focus on the target (why shotgun fit matters so much). I suspect your fast draw work has more to do with shooting flying than in "aiming" in the traditional sense. At least that would my "explanation". :)

9. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    I have Macular Degeneration, and had a detached retina in my dominant eye, in the last 2 years. I’m training myself to shoot with my other eye. It’s not going bad, but I lack depth perception at least close up. It’s been a real learning curve over the last 2 years.

10. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Do you know how to determine your dominant eye? As a general rule you will shoot better using it even if it means switching hands. It may take a little time but in the end you will be better off.