Does the background affect you ?

Null754

AH member
Reaction score
I shoot sporting clays at a few clubs where most of the stations are in the woods. then the last few
stations are in an open field. I struggle at times in the open field & wonder if there were trees or what not
closer I would judge the distance to the target better.
your opinion ? Thanks

I have a hard enough time trying to concentrate on the leading edge of the clay to think about the background much. When I replay shots in my head, the background is blurry.

Do you shoot with anyone who can watch and give you an idea of what you are doing wrong to make corrections?

I shoot sporting clays at a few clubs where most of the stations are in the woods. then the last few
stations are in an open field. I struggle at times in the open field & wonder if there were trees or what not
your opinion ? Thanks

We all use the surroundings to judge distance. You are obviously used to shooting in trees.

A favourite design at a local shoot: Long crosser, coming toward slightly, launched from a down hill position. The hill gradually sloped down and away. No cover in sight.
It’s a guaranteed station that drops scores.

Learn to judge the target size at different distances. Well worth the effort.

Last edited:
I guess I have the opposite problem. I struggle with targets in the trees, but do fine in open field. I use a ShotKam to help with correcting my sight picture. They are a very good tool and show you exactly what you are doing wrong.

What color glasses are you wearing?

Purple will help dampen green backgrounds and help you focus on the clay..

Some people go overboard with this stuff IMO… I find a set of orange lens, a set of purple, and a set of clear, are all I really need for adding a little competitive advantage (different backgrounds,different light conditions, etc dictate what I wear each day… I don’t change lens each station..).. where I’ve seen people show up with 6-10 lens options… that just not for me…

Here’s a decent article on lens colors and their advantages..

Might help you with focus and better judging distance/lead requirements…

your opinion ? Thanks
Null754: backgrounds will always affect shooting Sporting Clays and well set courses always have combinations of woods, open fields and blue sky target presentations — that adds difficulty and challenges shooters. I think trees and other hard-fixed objects help you determine distance because you can stare at them before targets are thrown and use them as “markers”. Also, most Woods courses have closer targets - but can have sharper angles and the target may not be in clear sight the entire time which limits where your “break points” can be. Clearly viewed, consistent targets against open backgrounds are more in Skeet & Trap…thats why Sporting Clays is more difficult and Not a game of perfect scores….but it is Fun and never boring

Color rendition makes a big difference as well as glare. try some Wiley X Captivate shooting glasses, game changer.

I guess I have the opposite problem. I struggle with targets in the trees, but do fine in open field. I use a ShotKam to help with correcting my sight picture. They are a very good tool and show you exactly what you are doing wrong.
I’m thinking about getting one of these for that reason. Plus it would be fun for a hunt report.

Do you find it has a big impact on the swing of your shotgun?

I’m thinking about getting one of these for that reason. Plus it would be fun for a hunt report.

Do you find it has a big impact on the swing of your shotgun?
Yes, the ShotKam at the end of my 32" Beretta DT11 adds noticeable weight. I usually shoot 50 to 60 rounds then take it off. You can definitely feel the extra weight on the barrel.

Yes, the ShotKam at the end of my 32" Beretta DT11 adds noticeable weight. I usually shoot 50 to 60 rounds then take it off. You can definitely feel the extra weight on the barrel.
Chashardy: I would think Shotcam “must” impact barrel weight and only question would be “How much”? Sounds like you have a good routine for using it. Also think it is only one part of training - the other is use of a good coach and then specific practice drills vs. just shooting 1000s of rounds…although it takes many rounds to improve

The problem I have had with the open meadow crossers is too much time to shoot. Causes me to overthink the shots. That is one station I need to shoot low gun plus. Push myself to hurry the shot. I already know what the flight plan is for those targets so stay off the gun until the last second. Then I'm shooting instinctively = breaking more targets. A word of caution: shooting low gun well requires a gun that fits well, especially LOP.

If you're shooting a small shotgun (410 or 28), try changing to tighter choke. Those crossers flying on edge way out there may be sailing through the pattern.

I shoot sporting clays recreationally - nothing serious.
I always wear personal protective equipment.
This includes ear protection and safety glasses.
This is about safety glasses and contrast to the background.

I have three type of glasses: transparent, dark and yellow glasses.
Transparent glasses I have for average daylight conditions. (most frequently used)
Dark glasses for strong sunlight and midday shooting
Yellow glasses that (at least subjectively) improve light or visibility, or at least improve contrast in cloudy day, with less sunlight present against the greenish background

So, last time, it was rainy day. Clouds, intermittent rain, overcast sky. Not too much light.
I left my yellow glasses at home, and I had other two glasses in the range bag.
With transparent glasses I couldn't see the clay, because of green woods in the back in the background. (pine trees).

Contrast and background is extremely important in any target shooting, and choice of paper target is very important if anybody wants to make meaningful shooting.
For example:
ISSF pistol target is yellowish background for rings 1-6, and rings 7 - 10 are in black. Sight alignment is on lower end, 6 o clock, to be aligned between black and yellowish rings for best contrast. (And iron sights are made slant in forwardd to prevent any light reflection to the eye of shooter.
Sight are adjusted to hit center, when aiming at 6 oclock point between ring 6 and 7.

Background of such ISSF target is not white but yellowish, dark enough to reduce sunlight reflection to shooters eyes, and light enough to make good contrast against black rings.

Long range targets are light blue, being the best for contrast and clear picture at longer distances, tackling mirage effect as well., when for the shooter is necessary to see thin crosshairs of second focal plane scope, against distant target, shimmering on mirage

Smart riflemen, zeroing and recreational shooting:
Best to use light color background target, like white, yellow, light blue, or light grey, preferably with some squares or printed scale in inches or centimeters.
White-ish paper will give good contrast to see the bullet hole, and printed scale or printed squares will give good visible indication of poi error or accuracy from shooters position.

That being said, very often I have seen unexperienced shooter zeroing a rifle on black target similar to pistol target ISSF 25 meter R50. Shooting at black center, Then they usually dont see black hole, on black background, so after every one or two shoots need to walk to target 100 meters away to see where they hit.

So, yes. background is important.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairaRatle

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.