Does Size Really Matter?

geoff rath

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Nyati on this subject; size doesn't matter to me. The Cape Buff on my bedroom wall is missing half a horn, an old bloke who had "been through the wars". He makes a good hat rack. I actually measured the Oryx a week or so back; the Outfitters suggested 40", he's actually right on a meter (39.36"), I don't care .... but, the memories ....

Nosler guy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
sci
B&C sucks IMO because the mass of the points has no value, but you get more mass measurements the more points you have on the beam. So a heavier buck with less points can have a smaller mass score than a thin buck with lots of points.

Your statement regarding mass measurements is not really accurate - the B&C system (for most multi pointed game like whitetail deer) allows 4 mass measurements (on the main beam) irregardless of how many points the antler has.

And I totally agree with you, the system gives no credit or recognition to mass in the points - which in most peoples opinion, is one of the most impressive features on a set of antlers from a mature animal

Nosler guy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
sci
B&C sucks IMO because the mass of the points has no value, but you get more mass measurements the more points you have on the beam. So a heavier buck with less points can have a smaller mass score than a thin buck with lots of points.

Your statement regarding mass measurements is not really accurate - the B&C system (for most multi pointed game like whitetail deer) allows 4 mass measurements (on the main beam) irregardless of how many points the antler has.

And I totally agree with you, the system gives no credit or recognition to mass in the points - which in most peoples opinion, is one of the most impressive features on a set of antlers from a mature animal

kevin masters

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
us mexico alaska south africa
average birds but one of the best hunts I've ever had! my 14 year old daughter after two failed seasons! two birds with one shot!!! hope there isn't any KFWD people on here,lol
My daughter was looking at my posts and informed me that she was thirteen for that hunt,lol cant keep track of time! And she likes this picture better.
View attachment 235249

20170402_192217 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sherlene97

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh