Dire Wolves

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
16,032
Reaction score
86,223
Location
Texas
Media
409
Articles
7
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
5
Mex/S.Amer
3
Europe
8
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
This has happened very recently to almost no media attention. From a scientific perspective, it is a really interesting accomplishment - the effort is more than merely selective breeding of "extinct" visual characteristics like the Quagga Zebra project. The actual genome changes are about 15-20 from standard grey wolves. Still, those are the ones associated with size, musculature, and ear shape which is also distinctive. Not sure what one does with these things should they prove to be fertile and to breed true to the genome construction. After all, they went extinct because the mega fauna on which they preyed vanished, Imagine what a pack of these could do to an elk or cattle herd. On the other hand, imagine a trophy display of an Alpha dire wolf carrying a mule deer in its jaws. :oops:


 
Last edited:
I see they’re working on mammoths, dodos and others as well
 
Guess its time to step up to the .505 Gibbs. On the other hand , maybe a towed 20 mike mike is the best choice. Maybe we should start a new thread called, Go Big or Go Home! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
 
"They (Colossus Biosciences) are working to 'restore the past, preserve the present, and safeguard the future.' The aim is to preserve species to be stronger and more resilient to thrive in today's ecosystem."

Riiiiiggghhht... Boy if ever there was an apropos application of that Ian Malcolm line from Jurassic Park, that's it right there.

1744074280990.jpeg
 
Would add a whole new dimension to varmint calling. :oops:
 
Would add a whole new dimension to varmint calling. :oops:
what a rush that would be calling bears would lose all appeal after.
 
I say if the USA ends up with Greenland we stock it with Mammoth and have a lottery for tags.

I’m just saying there would be no need for Ivory import permits…. Right?

Didn't know whether to give that a laughing emoji or a love one. Well played sir.
 
If we intend to play God I believe we should concentrate on animals that we as humans caused their extinction. Quagga, blaubok, passenger pigeon, Labrador duck and the ivory billed woodpecker just to name a few.
The return of the Pleistocene mega fauna would be interesting though.
 
As previously stated above...just because you can doesn't mean you should. This planet is already screwed up enough.
Might as well go out with a bang!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,071
Members
169,488
Latest member
SharynPico
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top