Did a little handgun shooting...

When I shot the course for my CCW the instructor made it clear that anyone doing head shots automatically flunked the course. They wanted everyone to concentrate on COM obviously the larger target.
Yeah, the instructors don't have a sense of humor. No guts (head shots), no glory! Ha! Ha! Ha!

They did allow us to spend an hour or so shooting steel on the range after the class so I guess that made up for everything else. That was back in the olden days when ammo was cheap and plentiful. Actually it's been about 12 years now.

I suppose I shouldn't say this, since it will undoubtedly get in the hands of some Communist that will want to cause trouble, but in the two counties that I have applied and received concealed carry permits no proficiency requirements were involved. Just get fingerprinted and have a clean criminal history and background check.

The communists are already causing trouble here in California, hence the proficiency tests. Though Nevada and Utah require it as well, just not to that extend.

To be honest the test is stupid easy, it is there as an impediment. Just need to put 70% of the rounds anywhere on the target to pass and unless one if being unsafe instructors would help people pass.

Very PC Target, must be one of those white nationalists I hear so much about glad you smoked that evil bastards heart out! Lol
New Mexico had a requirement that you had to qualify with the largest caliber in each type of firearm that you were to carry so I had to qualify with a 45 Colt Bond Arms for Derringer, 45 ACP Les Baer for auto and a 45 Colt revolver. You can carry anything smaller in that type of firearm. I thought that was crazy. But Cali always takes the cake!
Good shooting!
Qualify with a Bond? That must've been fun. If you could remember the offset and which barrel you were on you could seriously ace the test. Try that with an ADC...no way.

The communists are already causing trouble here in California, hence the proficiency tests. Though Nevada and Utah require it as well, just not to that extend.

To be honest the test is stupid easy, it is there as an impediment. Just need to put 70% of the rounds anywhere on the target to pass and unless one if being unsafe instructors would help people pass.
This is almost an annoying waste of ammunition for you. I had to qualify once for a side job. The instructor couldn't believe I could hit the target as fast as I was dry firing. S&W 625. Needless to say it was a waste if my time and ammo. Cocky instructor wanted me to slow down and hold the X ring, so I did, but it was boring. There are literally people who cannot hit paper at five yards during these tests. Until I took one, I had never seen such marksmanship levels as they don't exist in competition circles.

I have been an avid handgun shooter all my life ever before i started shooting long range and hunting.
This is one of a favorite.
rbXbozR.jpg

I have been an avid handgun shooter all my life ever before i started shooting long range and hunting.
This is one of a favorite.
View attachment 406738
There is little to like about such a pistol. I'll wager it's as boring as a Baer. With one ragged hole in the target there is little enticement to continue shooting. I once got to shoot four rounds out of a TRP operator bull barrel and it cloverleafed at 15 yards. It was annoyed by my poor shooting making it look bad.

The two below are my favorite handguns. An SVI Infinity 2011 in .40 S&W that I compete with in USPSA and STI DVC Carry that I CCW. Same manual of arms.

nufniBhl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tanks ... Thank for starting this thread, I am always curious about the different laws and interpretations from California concealed carry; especially after I went through the ordeal of shipping a .470NE Heym to California.

Being born and raised in Texas I can honestly say that I had never seen a civilian walking around in public with a gun on their hip openly carried until I was 27 years old and visiting SEATTLE of all places; walking down a pier was a well dressed couple in the 50's and the man had a beautiful 1911 in a gorgeous matching waist belt and holster. I would later find out that in Washington state (at least at the time) all you did to get a carry permit was walk into a Sheriffs office and have them do a background check and pay a fee and they gave you the permit then and there.

Here in NV we can carry open or concealed. Don't see many open carry, though. Most people want the element of surprise of cc.
I just renewed my ccw. I had to sit in on the law portion and shoot 12 rounds, 4 each at 3, 5, and 7 yards. Scored 47 out of 50. Not so good but I hadn't shot in nearly a year. Saving grace was my old standby S & W 5 inch 1911 .45acp with 230 gr fmj. Gotta get out more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!