Delta passengers: Behave yourself :-)

Ok We American's played USA Tackle Foot Ball at some point...Just askin how you let a Chinese rush past you on the narrow airplane aisle??? Blocking is a fundamental skill learned at age 8...
Yeah it didn't happen to us. We saw it in the other aisle.

If you're ever in China or Tibet standing lines, they like full body contact, even on your wife so I would stand behind her and stiff armed to the rear! Lol

Yeah and how about those.... that were never taught that when the plane is being off-loaded to please just wait your turn and stop trying to squeeze past people that were seated ahead of you! ..........
I had some muppets trying that on a flight into Toronto. There was an older lady attempting to get her baggage out of the bin and these two were coming up the aisle pushing past anyone without regard. I stood up beside her and get her baggage down for her while making the aisle impassable with my diminutive stature. My elbows tend to be at the same height as a lot of miscreants noses and my backpack also tends to swing around a lot when people crowd me. They followed at a polite distance after that.
I want to be out of those tin cans as fast as anyone, but stepping on people to get off is not acceptable.
I think that if you really want to get off the plane first, pay for those cheap seats up front.

I also have a diminutive stature of 6'5" and 240 lbs. I have had a few try to get pass me when there is no need and I usually just let them bounce off of me.

Playing college basket ball teaches us a lot on how to hold your ground.

Basic Civility has always been easy for me…
I’m a failure at advanced Civility the ability to recognize “microaggressions” that trigger snowflakes…was programed out of me at Ft. Benning Ga in 1982…I fly Delta Comfort Plus for the extra room I need to practice Manspreading
Advanced civility is unattainable for me. I become macro aggressive when they use words like microagression and equity. Their attempts to justify same with a straight face have me practicing restraint.

I had some muppets trying that on a flight into Toronto. There was an older lady attempting to get her baggage out of the bin and these two were coming up the aisle pushing past anyone without regard. I stood up beside her and get her baggage down for her while making the aisle impassable with my diminutive stature. My elbows tend to be at the same height as a lot of miscreants noses and my backpack also tends to swing around a lot when people crowd me. They followed at a polite distance after that.
I want to be out of those tin cans as fast as anyone, but stepping on people to get off is not acceptable.
I think that if you really want to get off the plane first, pay for those cheap seats up front.
@BRICKBURN
Being 6 and a half foot and 250 pounds plus and add backpack pus a face that would scare the crap out of a number there ain't nothing that can get past me on a plane aisle.
Bob

Ok Ok I can't help myself I have to ask... what DC-10 bush airline did you fly where the passenger compartment communications was a "Bullhorn?" Damn that some seat of your pants air transportation.
Figuratively speaking.....

I turns out we're all on the naughty list:
Greetings,

This is an update on your upcoming travel as Delta has dropped their direct Atlanta-Johannesburg flight through May 31 and your flights have been affected.

I am recommending that clients request a full refund for their Delta ticket. Please note the company we use to process the refunds does charge us for each refund submitted; therefore there is a $50 agency fee per person to process refunds or reissues as stated on your itinerary. I hope you understand as we have a lot of time/work invested and our commission is being recalled by the airline. If you have additional tickets other than Delta, I can let you know the options for refunds or rebooking.

If you have rescheduled this trip or if you still plan to travel and need to book alternate flights, please send that info so we can begin the rebooking process. I will be working through rebookings as quickly as possible by departure date and appreciate your patience during this process. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

Kind Regards, Lori Spears
unnamed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I turns out we're all on the naughty list:
Greetings,

This is an update on your upcoming travel as Delta has dropped their direct Atlanta-Johannesburg flight through May 31 and your flights have been affected.

I am recommending that clients request a full refund for their Delta ticket. Please note the company we use to process the refunds does charge us for each refund submitted; therefore there is a $50 agency fee per person to process refunds or reissues as stated on your itinerary. I hope you understand as we have a lot of time/work invested and our commission is being recalled by the airline. If you have additional tickets other than Delta, I can let you know the options for refunds or rebooking.

If you have rescheduled this trip or if you still plan to travel and need to book alternate flights, please send that info so we can begin the rebooking process. I will be working through rebookings as quickly as possible by departure date and appreciate your patience during this process. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

Kind Regards, Lori Spears
View attachment 387168
Didn't enjoy getting this email today either. It's Monday for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
I flew for work 25+ years and did my share of blocking although I only played flag football. The best job I did was in St. Maarten waiting for our flight to St. Barts. We were given a number and "when your number is called get into line to board". When our number was bypassed, I, at 5'9" 160, was able to stop all departure at the gate until the supervisor arrived, allowed us to board and started just counting off 12 passengers at a time with assigned numbers no longer having any meaning.

Good luck to all of you that have trips planned this year as I hope you are able to travel and enjoy the adventures.

It is only in North America and Europe that I have found people actually wait their turn to de-plane............but in 2016 in Tambo, I met a Chinese citizen that was polite.............FWB
I get it exactly! I've come to the conclusion that much of this behavior is mistaken as "unruly". In fact much of it is "normal" and culture based. People who grow up and live in very crowded conditions in both their own space and when moving around for work or travel, tend to seem pushy or even unruly to many of us westerners. If you grew up having to survive among hoards of people (hoards that many of us never see or let alone experience), you too would probably start acting this way just to survive :) Make no mistake even in cultures who live in extreme crowding there is protocol. And if that protocol is violated it will be dealt with swiftly by whichever means is normal in that culture. While this may seem off topic, it illustrates some behaviors common to most people, whether they walk, drive or commonly use only public transport.

It applies to all forms of getting around. Walking, small motor cycles, bicycles and pedicabs, motorized tricycles and top downs, cars, trucks, planes, busses, trains and even donkey, water buffalo, horse or ox powered. I have had the "privilege" of driving around a lot in some of the most crowded traffic on the planet. Amazing how it works. No traffic regs to speak of with most traffic law viewed as only a suggestion. Few if any traffic lights or controls. Everyone honks continually just like bats squawk sonar pings... and for the same reason! No they are not being rude, they are communicating just like a swarm of bats on wheels. No body goes very fast and most of the time the bumpers, tires and fenders are only inches apart. People in these places tend to drive in a way just like a mass of pedestrians negotiates crowded walk ways. Defensive driving is not a concept for driver's ed school, it is used and if not used, better let someone else drive. Learn the rules of the road right away or hire a taxi! So when I see all the Chinese tourists en masse pushing ahead, I have to remember, it is a learned cultural trait for survival. We are seeing more Chinese simply because there are a lot of Chinese on the planet and an increasing percentage of them are moving into the traveling middle class.

After moving around in, including driving, walking and using most all varieties of small vehicles, in some of the most crowded population centers of SE Asia, I learned to take a slightly different attitude toward these behaviors we view as "rude". Patience is a virtue and aggressive behavior rarely pays off and should only be used as a last resort in the face of same. There is a post graduate driver's ed diploma just waiting for anyone successfully negotiating a leisurely drive around Manila, accident free, during rush hour :). No matter if walking around an airport terminal or driving a city street, IMO, it is best to try to blend and politely squeeze in. In the end I would rather deal with 20 mil+ people scurrying around Manila than fighting high speed, crash, go and stop traffic in LA, Salt Lake City or Denver! :)

Delta explains the delay in a statement,

We continue to adjust our flight schedules in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel restrictions and customer demand. As a result of this, we have delayed the planned restart of operations between Johannesburg and Atlanta, plus the launch of our new Cape Town service. We plan to relaunch these flights once the situation allows. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to our customers.
As with any new international route during the pandemic, the June 1 date is still subject to change. When Delta first announced its two-city South Africa service, the carrier planned to start flights on Oct. 24, 2020. It was then delayed to Jan. 8, 2021, and again to March 27, 2021.

Only time will tell whether Delta will need a fifth delay for its hotly anticipated new triangle route.

I get it exactly! I've come to the conclusion that much of this behavior is mistaken as "unruly". In fact much of it is "normal" and culture based. People who grow up and live in very crowded conditions in both their own space and when moving around for work or travel, tend to seem pushy or even unruly to many of us westerners. If you grew up having to survive among hoards of people (hoards that many of us never see or let alone experience), you too would probably start acting this way just to survive :) Make no mistake even in cultures who live in extreme crowding there is protocol. And if that protocol is violated it will be dealt with swiftly by whichever means is normal in that culture. While this may seem off topic, it illustrates some behaviors common to most people, whether they walk, drive or commonly use only public transport.

It applies to all forms of getting around. Walking, small motor cycles, bicycles and pedicabs, motorized tricycles and top downs, cars, trucks, planes, busses, trains and even donkey, water buffalo, horse or ox powered. I have had the "privilege" of driving around a lot in some of the most crowded traffic on the planet. Amazing how it works. No traffic regs to speak of with most traffic law viewed as only a suggestion. Few if any traffic lights or controls. Everyone honks continually just like bats squawk sonar pings... and for the same reason! No they are not being rude, they are communicating just like a swarm of bats on wheels. No body goes very fast and most of the time the bumpers, tires and fenders are only inches apart. People in these places tend to drive in a way just like a mass of pedestrians negotiates crowded walk ways. Defensive driving is not a concept for driver's ed school, it is used and if not used, better let someone else drive. Learn the rules of the road right away or hire a taxi! So when I see all the Chinese tourists en masse pushing ahead, I have to remember, it is a learned cultural trait for survival. We are seeing more Chinese simply because there are a lot of Chinese on the planet and an increasing percentage of them are moving into the traveling middle class.

After moving around in, including driving, walking and using most all varieties of small vehicles, in some of the most crowded population centers of SE Asia, I learned to take a slightly different attitude toward these behaviors we view as "rude". Patience is a virtue and aggressive behavior rarely pays off and should only be used as a last resort in the face of same. There is a post graduate driver's ed diploma just waiting for anyone successfully negotiating a leisurely drive around Manila, accident free, during rush hour :). No matter if walking around an airport terminal or driving a city street, IMO, it is best to try to blend and politely squeeze in. In the end I would rather deal with 20 mil+ people scurrying around Manila than fighting high speed, crash, go and stop traffic in LA, Salt Lake City or Denver! :)
Yes, exactly, it is normal in some cultures but only due to lack of personal space education. When I’ve been in Asia and Africa, I’ve done some “educating” and people have backed off. Full body contact while waiting in a line or pushing past people in front of you is uncalled for and not something I’m willing to accept and at 6’1” barefoot, I haven’t had any trouble establishing my personal space boundary.

Yeah and how about the Chinese and some Africans that were never taught that when the plane is being off-loaded to please just wait your turn and stop trying to squeeze past people that were seated ahead of you! That 20 seconds gained isn't going to make a difference but it sure is obnoxious! I guess some people were never taught in school in 1st grade or by their parents to line up and politely wait your turn when entering/leaving buildings, rooms, etc... My wife and I just shake our heads in disgust when we see this on overseas flights. We don't see it in the USA much.
only western cultures have near universal buy-in on game theory. IMO, that's a principal reason why the west is vastly wealthier than the rest of the world combined.

@BRICKBURN
Being 6 and a half foot and 250 pounds plus and add backpack pus a face that would scare the crap out of a number there ain't nothing that can get past me on a plane aisle.
Bob
I can relate. I'm 6'6" and ~240, my oldest boy is about 6'4" and also 240, but with less than 15% body fat. My youngest is maybe 6'5", and about 230. He has to keep his weight down on account of he's a helo pilot in the US navy (at least for training).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg