AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Has any one been charged a over sized baggage fee for bow or rifle cases that exceed the 62 inch combined total of length , width and depth ? In numerous trips to SA and Namibia I've never been charged yet my bow case is 69 combined inches, am thinking of buying a two bow case that has a total of 72.5 combined inches.

No Jeff... Never, in 6 trips on both SAA and Delta and my SKB case exceeds the posted size allowance. I have also never had a client to date report that they have been charged the oversize fee for their bow case. BUT, as we have learned lately from some of these similar posts, it is often left to chance of selective enforcement...

Flew this June on Delta and checked SKB bow case, Pelican rifle case and a checked clothes bag. No oversize fees on cases. They did hit me $200 for third checked bag tho. I knew that was going to happen so I expected it.

Have flown Delta three times and United one time with guns. My case comes to 77 combined inches. Have never been charged extra.

Has any one been charged a over sized baggage fee for bow or rifle cases that exceed the 62 inch combined total of length , width and depth ? In numerous trips to SA and Namibia I've never been charged yet my bow case is 69 combined inches, am thinking of buying a two bow case that has a total of 72.5 combined inches.

No for me also, but I’m a Diamond 2 million miler so I can get away with most anything on Delta.

Almost. Sadly...

5 trips to RSA and 5 different airlines and no one has questioned size of rifle case.

Nope

Nor on my three delta trips...

Given the design and nature of my main bag, I'm sure it has been over, under and about right on the max combined inches for Delta, United, and various "you name it" airlines on MANY MANY domestic and intl. flights. I do keep it under the weight limit though as they do check that. My gun case is a Pelican one gun take-down so it obviously is not an issue. I've never been charged nor questioned about the main bag. To me, seems like oversized carry-on bags is where there can be a real PITB choke point for people efficiently and quickly boarding and deplaning. A small daypack carry-on solves that issue.

Dunno about the latest problems reported with odd or oversized checked gun/bow cases other than some bow cases seem very large to me. My only thought is, possibly, up until now many airlines have been lax on enforcing their own policies about oversized checked bags for obvious reasons like customer relations ... much the same way they have ignored the size restrictions on carry-ons. Who knows?

Last edited:
No I’ve not had it happen but who knows, the next trip could be the one!

Six trips to RSA on Delta and never a charge!

Look at it this way, are you going to change your travel plans for a trip of a lifetime or are you just going to just do what you want to do and pay accordingly?

I know that a lot of us budgeted for these hunts and would really like to keep it to the minimum but there are times when you just have to open up your wallet if needed and pull out a few greenbacks to get what you want. Then perhaps cut back on something else.

So don't worry about oversize charges, just smile when the check in person tells you that your bag is overweight or if your rifle/bow case is a inch too long. Life it too short to worry about these small things when you are going to have the time of your life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErrolKish0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.