Delta Luggage Tracking

Brent in Az

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
I thought this was interesting. Anyone have any experience with this system?

DENVER, Colo. - Delta Airlines is trying to prevent lost luggage by using technology to track bags from start to finish.

Radio frequency identification, or RFID, will replace the bar code scanning done by hand, which has been the airline standard for decades.

RFID technology is widely used in other areas of our daily life, though you may not recognize it.

On the campus of Metropolitan State University of Denver, the Auraria Library uses RFID to check books in and out, and speed up the process.

"I want to check out all these books," said Ryan Turch, Information Technology Desktop Support Technician. "All I have to do is come to this kiosk, put in my student ID number."

The kiosk simultaneously scans the RFID chips in the back of each book, saving students and librarians valuable time.

Bike-sharing program, Denver B-cycle, also uses RFID to track its inventory. Each bike and each bike rack has individual RFID chips that link users' credit cards to their specific rentals.

"We do about 365,000 rides a year," said Nick Bohnenkamp, Executive Director of Denver B-Cycle. "From a RFID perspective, we have pretty infrequent failures, any given day. We might have maybe one every other week, at this point."

When it comes to luggage, Delta says tests showed a 99.9 percent success rate. Customers can use their phone app to follow the progress, long before baggage claim.

Delta airlines spent $50 million to install RFID technology at airports around the world, including 4,600 scanners and 3,800 bag tag printers.

Delta employees handle 120 million bags each year.

Have not tried the app yet!

Sounds like a great idea to me.
Northwest airlines providing customers slips when their dog crate came on board was always a confidence builder on my flights with them.

Delta introduces innovative baggage tracking process
By Ashton Morrow · posted April 28, 2016

Delta is deploying Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) baggage tracking technology, a first for U.S. carriers, providing customers with improved real-time tracking of luggage throughout the travel experience.

This move marks a historic shift for Delta and the 120 million bags it handles annually. RFID will replace barcode hand scanning – the industry standard since the early 90s. With this new technology, scanners use radio waves to capture highly accurate and consistent data stored on an RFID chip embedded in the luggage tag, driving superior tracking and increased transparency.

With RFID, customers will see their bags on and off the aircraft during their journey via push notifications to the Fly Delta mobile app beginning in the fourth quarter of 2016.

“With a $50 million investment in RFID at 344 stations around the globe, we aim to reliably deliver every bag on every flight,” said Bill Lentsch, Delta’s Senior Vice President – Airport Customer Service and Cargo Operations. “This innovative application of technology gives us greater data and more precise information throughout the bag’s journey.”

Initial deployments of RFID integrated throughout the baggage process show that bags are tracked at a 99.9 percent success rate, ensuring proper routing and loading.

For customers, RFID means much more than just consistent baggage handling.

Thanks Brickburn, for the additional info. I think it's a great tool to be able to check the status of luggage and guns prior to departure.

Am awaiting the aluminum foil wearing black helicopter dodging crank to conclude it's a conspiracy to track his gun.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
TINFOILHATGUY.jpg

Attachments

• TINFOILHATGUY.jpg
    TINFOILHATGUY.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 378
Well that didn't take long....

I am still laughing.

This is so you can watch Delta lose your luggage...... you'll be able to watch your bag go to Bangladesh as you go to africa.:D

This new twist would not hinder me from packing one set of hunting cloths in the carry on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg