Delta just cancelled June 1 ATL to JNB flight

I heard through another AH member that his Delta flight to SA was also cancelled and that he reached out to @TRAVEL EXPRESS to seek new flight options as he had self booked with Delta 6 months ago but that Travel Express is not accepting new clients right now. I assume that is bc of all the cancelled flights, rerouting etc. What a mess !! I'm still hoping Emirates is keeping it's routes to Zim in July.
Gracy Travel may be able to help him rebook. Having said that, in today's travel climate, booking with an agent is the better option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been using Gracy for years Shawn is the best you can not go wrong with them.
Today I booked the Ethiopian air flight from Washington DC to Addis and then on to Namibia. We depart June 15th and return 26 days later... I hope I work enough before I go.

I am using Gracy travel again, they are excellent.

I picked this route at the direction of both my PH and Gracy travel. Shawn at Gracy informed me they have had near 350 people who have taken that route since things opened up again last fall. Delta through Joberg was basically a non-option.

Delta still hasn't sent a cancellation notice, but I called and the flight HAS been cancelled.

They rebooked me ATL - AMS - JNB and return JNB-LHR-ATL.

Flying Delta, KLM and Virgin.

21 hours instead of 15 each way is not the greatest.

Anyone see warning signs???

Delta still hasn't sent a cancellation notice, but I called and the flight HAS been cancelled.

They rebooked me ATL - AMS - JNB and return JNB-LHR-ATL.

Flying Delta, KLM and Virgin.

21 hours instead of 15 each way is not the greatest.

Anyone see warning signs???

I have a Virgin Atlantic flight JFK>LHR>JNB and back on June 11th. I called Virgin to see status they only have a flight schedule through May 15th right now (this was as of Friday). May 17th the UK is supposed to open international travel again, so they are slow to update flights past then. Basically the guy said to wait and see. Not much info, but it’s what I have. I’m thinking I might get to Africa on a hope and a prayer!

My Delta flight arrives in AMS 2 hours before the departure flight on KLM to JNB.

Will that give enough time to get firearms on the KLM flight?

My Delta flight arrives in AMS 2 hours before the departure flight on KLM to JNB.

Will that give enough time to get firearms on the KLM flight?
This is exactly the type of question that Gracy travel can help with. Considering the year that we are in, it makes more sense to spend a little extra on coordination with an expert. It is a small cost in the total of a hunt. Removing the uncertainty that we can, in light of so much change due to the pandemic, is a prudent decision.

In the times that I have used a travel agent they have either beaten or came real close to the price if I had done it on my own.

And then they deal with the problems.

Anymore I would never think of doing it myself if I am traveling with firearms.

Good plan.
Please pass on what route you end up taking.

It was no trouble to get a complete refund from Delta.

I booked DL200
It got changed to DL204
Then it got completely cancelled
Delta rebooked me ATL-AMS-JNB to Africa (KLM from AMS to JNB), and JNB-LHR-ATL (Virgin from JNB to LHR) - at my request. The Delta rep could not give me any details concerning firearms in AMS, on KLM, in LHR or on Virgin.

After investigating it more, it looked like there was no way that my rifles would make it aboard the KLM flight in AMS given only 2 hours to make it on the KLM flight to JNB.

After making a few more calls, I determined that neither the KLM flight or the Virgin flight was a sure thing.

I called Delta back and they told me that all of my money would be credited back to my credit card.

Then I called Gracy and talked to Shawn.

Looks like I'll either be going ATL to Dallas, then flying Qatar from Dallas - Doha - JNB

or

ATL to Dulles, then flying Ethiopian from Dulles - Ababa - JNB

I'll let you know what I decide.

I, too, requested a refund from Delta for cancelled flight DL204. I am booking United from Houston to Newark to Johannesburg. Hopefully leaving on June 21. I’ll let y’all know. Unfortunately I do not have enough time for Qatar or other options.

Last edited:
I, too, requested a refund from Delta for cancelled flight DL204. I am booking United from Houston to Newark to Johannesburg. Hopefully leaving on June 21. I’ll let y’all know. Unfortunately I do not have enough time for Qatar or other options.

has United run any flights on this route yet ? Still waiting for inaugural flight?

Still holding my breath for Delta in late august. Depending on how the trend looks in late May I'll be booking a backup plan.

Couple of comments after dealing with Delta canx my 8 June flight:

1. Be sure to book on a day that you have COVID test results in hand. Discussed with COVID Consultants and Tuesday is a no fly day due to Lab closed on Sunday/FEDEX not operating.

2. Emirates is flying to JNB but not taking passengers back to Dubai through 30 May. If it is extended you will need to rebook.

3. Europe: you can fly through Amsterdam with guns but will need to return through Paris. No passengers from JNB to AMS. I’m staying out of Europe, never know when they are going to stop flights from South Africa.

4. United out of Newark, good luck. Hope and a prayer they will fly this route, with South Africa declared “do not travel”, doubt this will happen.

5. Booked Qatar last night with Travel Express. The only airline that has continued flying through this COVID mess.

When I travelled last week, I was booked ATL-AMS-JNB and JNB-AMS-ATL for the return. This was without firearms. The day before my return, KLM cancelled JNB-AMS and I was forced over to Air France via Paris. The return trip was 36 hours, door to door. Painful, but I made it.

I am glad I have a travel agent. Especially this year!

Update:

Shawn with Gracy talked to folks in JNB and felt comfortable enough with United actually making the flights starting June 1 to go ahead and book it.

She booked me on United from ATL (11:20 AM) to EWR (1:37 PM), then United from EWR (8:45PM) to JNB (5:45PM).

This will take quite a bit longer than the initial ATL to JMB flight on Delta (mainly just a long wait at EWR), but I don't have to deal with firearms in other countries in route and it saved an overnight stay & concierge in JNB on the return flight.

Gracy will monitor the United situation for me, get the refund if something happens with the flight, and book the Ethiopian or Qatar option if needed.

Thanks for the recommendation to use Gracy!

(I would have used Travel Express, but no one answered the phone at 9:00 AM on Thursday morning)

The piece of mind that comes with someone monitoring the situation and knowing the logistics of international travel with firearms is definitely worth their commission.

It just so happened that I was with a shotgun coach who has traveled with USA teams competing in Europe when I rebooked with Delta to fly through AMS on the way to JNB. He told me that there was NO WAY my rifles would make it to Africa with me if they had to go through AMS with only a 2 hour layover.

I talked to another person with international hunting travel experience who also confirmed this.

It was then that I cancelled everything with Delta and sought the help of a travel professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg