Africa
Member of
B&C, DSC
Hunted
US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
I am headed to Windhoek Thursday. Schedule looks like this:
DAL to ATL--Delta
ATL-JNB--Delta 200

Here's the rub. In light of Delta's computer shutdown Mondy, there have been numerous cancellations and delays at Delta. I am concerned about the DAL to ATL leg,as they cancelled that flight on today's schedule for some reason. Obviously if I miss that one, no connection for ATL to JNB is possible.

Question: If I have to take a Southwest flight from Dal to ATL to make the connection, instead of the Delta flight from DAL to ATL, will my reservation for flight 200 ATL-JNB still be valid, even though I'm not on the DAL-ATL leg?

Just trying to consider options at this point.

Only Delta can confirm this for sure, but - and this only as a general rule - if you miss the first leg of an itinerary, the entire itinerary is cancelled.

I would either speak to Delta or to my travel agent (if you used one - this is when they come in handy). Delta is apparently waiving all sorts of rules with respect to this latest debacle.

I recently had family that missed a first leg and then drove to the second leg airport only to find out the itinerary was cancelled, Certainly call Delta to find out

Delta "owns" this one. Normally airline recovery is pretty quick (even Delta). Yesterday and today should account for all the re-bookings. Really good reason to use a travel agent who specializes in routing folks like us. They already would be working an issue like this.

I must admit this is bother me, how can their recovery to the problem be this slow?

+1 on calling Delta and getting this figured out today. The more time they have, the more options they'll have available to them.

This is my 4th trip to Africa, first time I've booked everything myself........hindsight is 20/20 as they say. They (Delta) are saying everything should be caught up and back to normal by this evening......we'll see.

I've had itineraries cancelled when missing the first leg. You don't want that to happen. Stay in touch with them and if the flight from Dallas to Atlanta gets cancelled work with the gate agent, get your flight out of Atlanta confirmed and then book the separate flight. Hopefully, it won't come to that and if it does you have sufficient layover time in Atlanta to cover getting a different flight.

I must admit this is bother me, how can their recovery to the problem be this slow?
Over a thousand cancelled flights? Somewhere around 100,000 re-bookings? And on flights that are all near capacity already. Somewhat amazing they can pull it off in 72 hrs.

Just got off of the phone with Delta. They are telling me that all operations out of Dallas Love Field and Atlanta are 98% back to normal now, and will be 100% by this evening. In the unlikely event they cancel or delay DAl-ATL, if there's another Delta flight available that will work they'll just switch me, if not and I have to take Southwest, I will be allowed to keep the rest of my ticketed travel the same from ATL-JNB-WDH.

thi9elsp has the protocol down and is exactly how the Delta guy explained it to me:
"I've had itineraries cancelled when missing the first leg. You don't want that to happen. Stay in touch with them and if the flight from Dallas to Atlanta gets cancelled work with the gate agent, get your flight out of Atlanta confirmed and then book the separate flight. Hopefully, it won't come to that and if it does you have sufficient layover time in Atlanta to cover getting a different flight."

I have missed flights at the start before, if the counter folks are worth their pay, they can usually find alternate flights for you to make connections. We once missed our home airport flight out, and were late getting to WDK but we did make it on all new to us flights. It sucks but it can be done. Just keep going and take any flight offered, don't give up. Once you are in the air, it will all come together.

Over a thousand cancelled flights? Somewhere around 100,000 re-bookings? And on flights that are all near capacity already. Somewhat amazing they can pull it off in 72 hrs.

It's easy they bump everyone for eternity. They now operate two days behind for eternity.
It is the only way to keep the inconvenience spread among your customers. It is only fair.

@JGRaider

It's a reflection that I've traveled way too much the past 19 years as a consultant. Good luck and hope it goes well. Ann and I travel Tampa - ATL - Joberg in October.

John

Your traveling out of DAL and not DFW on delta? If, you can also purchase a fully refundable SWA ticket and if you don't have to use it, at least you get your money back.

Alway let Delta cancel out the first leg if necessary, otherwise your whole trip is canceled and you may be place on their no sale list.

By the way, this was the first and last trip using an travel agent.

The mess is about corrected! Flying again in the morning myself so I am staying in tune.

The mess is about corrected! Flying again in the morning myself so I am staying in tune.

So you're hearing it's getting straightened out? Good to hear that from someone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois