Delta 201 diversion

they are supposed to get an A350-1000 For this route. Does anyone know if it is still the A350-900 flying currently?
from my perspective this diversion is a complete embarrassment for Delta and not routine in anyway. If it were me I would miss my connection and likely have another overnight. The passengers should be compensated.
Philip

Flew a FLIB for twenty years. Old adage for getting there by plane, "Time to spare, take to the air".

they are supposed to get an A350-1000 For this route. Does anyone know if it is still the A350-900 flying currently?
from my perspective this diversion is a complete embarrassment for Delta and not routine in anyway. If it were me I would miss my connection and likely have another overnight. The passengers should be compensated.
Philip
You're right. It's not routine but it isn't that unusual either. It happens. The alternative is they never leave JNB unless they're 100% certain they can get all the way to ATL without the possibility of an enroute fuel stop. At certain times of the year that policy would cause a few cancellations. Which is more inconvenient? An enroute fuel stop or having your flight cancelled?

Compensation is not in play because it's a weather issue. The airline only has to compensate when the reason is within their control and Delta doesn't control the weather.

You're right. It's not routine but it isn't that unusual either. It happens. The alternative is they never leave JNB unless they're 100% certain they can get all the way to ATL without the possibility of an enroute fuel stop. At certain times of the year that policy would cause a few cancellations. Which is more inconvenient? An enroute fuel stop or having your flight cancelled?

Compensation is not in play because it's a weather issue. The airline only has to compensate when the reason is within their control and Delta doesn't control the weather.
I appreciate your perspective but I disagree. Diversions are unusual and most of them make the news. They are usually either a mechanical issue or due to health concerns of a passenger. I have never heard of a “routine” diversion for any reason. Delta is flying a plane that is unsuitable for the route therefore it is their fault and not weather related. I would not want to fly an airline that was not 100% sure they could get me to my destination barring some unforeseen circumstance.
My point still stands about the mistake Delta made by taking the 777 off this route. It can get there regardless of weather and load!

My point still stands about the mistake Delta made by taking the 777 off this route. It can get there regardless of weather and load!
Dollars and cents, the triple sevens were less efficient.

Boeing 777-200LR

• Range: 8,555 nmi (15,843 km)
  • Capacity: 301 passengers in three classes, 440 passengers max.
  • MTOW: 347,500 kg (766,000 lb)
  • Fuel burn rate: Approximately 6.8t per hour

Airbus A350-900ULR

• Range: 9,700 nautical miles (17,964 kilometers)
  • Capacity: 300-350 passengers in three classes, 440 passengers max.
  • MTOW: 280,000 kg (617,000 lb)
  • Fuel burn rate: Approximately 5.8t per hour

Comparing the performance of the two aircraft, we can see that their sizes are essentially identical. However, that’s where the similarities end. The A350-900ULR outperforms the 777-200LR where it matters most: Range and fuel burn, with the Airbus flying much further while burning less fuel. As we noted above, this isn’t much of a surprise, considering its development was 13 years later.

The 777-200LR does have a higher maximum take-off weight (MTOW). A portion of this increased weight is the additional capacity needed to store fuel to go the distance. In addition to burning more fuel, the extra weight will also result in more expensive operations, with most airports calculating landing fees based on MTOW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross