Dangerous Game with 9.3x62?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Just a quick one chaps. A mate of mine has a Blaser R8 in .308. He wants something to shoot boar, bear, maybe African DG too. Will the 9.3x62 work for that? I know it's borderline and some countries want .375, but that will take a lot more changes to the rifle for it to work. From what I can see he can just slap on a 9.3x62 barrel and crack on? If it will do the job that is?! I'd appreciate your opinions!

It will probably work in most situations where legal.

Croc, leopard, giraffe, eland, bears should be fine any day.
Probably lion as well.

Though it has taken tons of buff, elephant, rhino and hippo over the years, it may be inadequate in some angles/situations. So it is not a "stopper", but then neither is the .375

I guess bullet choice and shot placement are more important than the 0.009 in difference in diameter compared with the .375 HH.

Your mate would be very well advised to do exactly that: get a 9.3X62 barrel. Perfect for "boar, bear," and cape buffalo. On Buff, A 286grain AFrame from a 9.3 and a 300grain AFrame from a 375 will do the same thing in actual, real, reality (Use AFrames on Buff and/or listen to your PH). SO for "African DG," your mate is covered for Leopard, Lion, and Buff with a 9.3. I know any PH will prefer a client with a 9.3 barrel on his Blaser that he's practiced with and is intimately familiar with over a client who goes out and buys a new to him 375. Just be aware that the 9.3 and 375 are NOT "stoppers" the way a 458 Lott or 470NE is.

RE: the 375 minimum laws in various jurisdictions. You'd be surprised (maybe not so much) about how exactly many of these laws are observed and/or enforced. For example, in some jurisdictions, the 375 rule might just stipulate that someone present (ie your PH) has a 375 or bigger. Or there might be a specific exemption for the 9.3. You have to be precise about where you want to go and what you want to do. While I'm sure there MAY be a jurisdiction/professional organization/company/PH that says, specifically : "9.3X62 - NO 375H&H - YES," I have not encountered it in actual, real, reality.

There is no replacement for displacement.
The 9.3x62 is 80-95% (depending on the load) of the 375H&H in terms of energy.
But it is not a 375...

Reality - no one will most likely ask as long as it's OK with your PH/outfitter.

Best plan - Step up to a MA bolt head and order a 375H&H barrel along with a 300WM.
Face it, your mate is nearly hooked.
Might as well jump in the deep end at this point.

300 grain Swift A-Frame in 9.3x62 will take anything that walks....the 9.3 and 375 H&H are very close to each other and don’t think a critter shot by one or the other would know the difference....I have really fallen for my 9.3x62 and would honestly use it without hesitation on anything other than an elephant....

I have both calibers, like them both, and have seen both used effectively on buffalo. I would not go to extra expense to convert to .375 if the 9.3 is easier. However, I have to be honest, when I’m after buffalo I carry my .458 Lott.

Thanks guys. Your advice has been much appreciated as always.

What I have noticed from looking at the chart on the Blaser website is that if he was to step up to a MA bolt head, not only could he have a .375H&H but he could buy a .416 Rem Mag or .458 Lott! He's in a different police area to me so it could get interesting re. what he's allowed. Maybe it's worth him asking for a Lott as I did and seeing where they lead him?

Since my little adventure with my police force I'm glad I ended up with the .416 over the .458. It seems like a more all round calibre, but then if he has a Blaser he can simply chuck another barrel in his case so plains game doesn't much matter!

Edit... He's worried the 9.3 will be lacking a bit. I've passed on what you've said but he likes shooting my rifle. In fairness to him he shoots it like a .22 so something bigger wouldn't be a disadvantage for him!

Last edited:
Screenshot_20191018-001102_01_01_01.png

Roughly 500 pound Royal Bengal tiger taken by my client with a 9.3 millimeter mauser bolt operation rifle and a single soft head cartridge .
It certainly did the trick on Royal Bengal tigers .
It even used to work on Gaur Bisons , as long as the Gaur was under 1800 pounds live weight. For any larger Gaur ( 2000 pounds or heavier ) , it would still work , but proved inadequate for stopping a charge from an enraged animal.

He is a client. His job is to put as accurate and lethal first shot as possible into a DG animal. If he does that, the stopping capabilities of a particular rifle are largely irrelevant.

I assume we are really talking about buffalo - a 9.3 would be excellent for a cat and few people will take one elephant hunting. My 9.3’s (63 and 74R’s) are nearly perfect bear rifles. The difference between a 286 and 300 gr A-frame are pretty small. Still, there is a difference.

Obviously, a 40 something in exactly the right place is equally lethal. It is, however, my belief that most first or only one time buffalo hunters are better served with the .375 simply because the transition is so easy from a familiar “deer” rifle. It is also so incredibly versatile for everything else the client will be doing on that hunt. I can use my Blaser .375 with great precision, which for most relatively short modern day buffalo hunts is, again in my experience, what is most important.

Probably the most universally useful Blaser combination for Africa is the magnum bolt head and .300 / .375 barrel combination. Your friend will not find many advocating the .308 / 9.3. The latter is, however, nearly perfect for Europe.

He is a client. His job is to put as accurate and lethal first shot as possible into a DG animal. If he does that, the stopping capabilities of a particular rifle are largely irrelevant.

I assume we are really talking about buffalo - a 9.3 would be excellent for a cat and few people will take one elephant hunting. My 9.3’s (63 and 74R’s) are nearly perfect bear rifles. The difference between a 286 and 300 gr A-frame are pretty small. Still, there is a difference.

Obviously, a 40 something in exactly the right place is equally lethal. It is, however, my belief that most first or only one time buffalo hunters are better served with the .375 simply because the transition is so easy from a familiar “deer” rifle. It is also so incredibly versatile for everything else the client will be doing on that hunt. I can use my Blaser .375 with great precision, which for most relatively short modern day buffalo hunts is, again in my experience, what is most important.

Probably the most universally useful Blaser combination for Africa is the magnum bolt head and .300 / .375 barrel combination. Your friend will not find many advocating the .308 / 9.3. The latter is, however, nearly perfect for Europe.
Red Leg
I am inclined to agree. Your advice is very sound , as always. The .375 Holland and Holland magnum calibre is fairly superior to the 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge and remains my personal preference above all other cartridges. It is also a safer cartridge for a novice shooter to use. I also understand that in many parts of Africa , the 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge is not allowed for dangerous animals.

I like the 9.3x62. In regards to the Blaser R8, he would only need standard barrel and magazine insert for the 9.3. The .308 insert will be too short for the 9.3. If stepping up to the .375 and lad larger barrels he must be aware of the different barrel profiles, Blaser has standard (17mm at the muzzle), semi weight(19mm) and safari(22mm) and may require the opening of the barrel channel.

I like the 9.3x62. In regards to the Blaser R8, he would only need standard barrel and magazine insert for the 9.3. The .308 insert will be too short for the 9.3. If stepping up to the .375 and lad larger barrels he must be aware of the different barrel profiles, Blaser has standard (17mm at the muzzle), semi weight(19mm) and safari(22mm) and may require the opening of the barrel channel.

It also requires buying a magnum bolt head, can’t use the standard bolt head that the non-magnum chambering use

When I buy my Blaser R8 it will be in the exact configuration you suggested (300 win mag/375 H&H), and thanks again for all your excellent input and advice on that. However, if I already owned a 9.3x62 and was doing the once in a lifetime hunt in Africa, I wouldn't hesitate to use that rifle on buff, other DG (with the exception of an elephant), and PG, especially if money was a consideration. If my PH said the 9.3 wasn't going to be allowed where/for what I was hunting, then I'd have to step up for a new rifle or borrow/rent one from the PH, but if he says the 9.3 is fine I think one is safe using it as a client, with the proviso that you are using quality ammo.

When I buy my Blaser R8 it will be in the exact configuration you suggested (300 win mag/375 H&H), and thanks again for all your excellent input and advice on that. However, if I already owned a 9.3x62 and was doing the once in a lifetime hunt in Africa, I wouldn't hesitate to use that rifle on buff, other DG (with the exception of an elephant), and PG, especially if money was a consideration. If my PH said the 9.3 wasn't going to be allowed where/for what I was hunting, then I'd have to step up for a new rifle or borrow/rent one from the PH, but if he says the 9.3 is fine I think one is safe using it as a client, with the proviso that you are using quality ammo.
Absolutely. And one of the more famous African writers, PH's, and Rhodesian patriots "Ganyana" (his nom de plume) Don Heath, would have agreed completely.

9.3x62 is a fine cartridge.

Using one as mentioned where it is not legal for DG is fine, as long as things work out as they should....
If however you decide to use one and things go south and a tracker or PH gets seriously injured or killed I would not like to be the one who was using the illegal firearm if the powers that be decide to take things further.....

9.3x62 is a fine cartridge.

Using one as mentioned where it is not legal for DG is fine, as long as things work out as they should....
If however you decide to use one and things go south and a tracker or PH gets seriously injured or killed I would not like to be the one who was using the illegal firearm if the powers that be decide to take things further.....
And a very good point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg