Dangerous Game Rifle in .404 Jeffery /10,75 x 73/

I really enjoy the 404 Jeffery and think it is fine cartridge with a very manageable recoil. I have an old British 404 retailed by Army Navy Co-Op Society that only weights about seven and half pounds but the recoil is not unpleasant. I apologize for the pictures not being better but I am not much of a photographer. View attachment 197445 View attachment 197438 View attachment 197440 View attachment 197441 View attachment 197503 View attachment 197504 View attachment 197444
Very nice and very early rifle - probably pre-WWI. Most of the English makers bought barreled actions from Oberndorf and finished the rifles in the UK. Of course, Army & Navy bought from across the trade. Assuming the stock is original (and I think it is - looks like a bit of oil staining near the action and forearm escutcheon), it is somewhat Teutonic with the forearm key. So, I would guess it was procured finished, but a bit Anglicized, from the German supplier. If original, the stock was restored at some point which would have been when the checkering was added around the recoil lug pin and perhaps to the forearm. The same rifle from the same period for the German Colonial market would have had a Schnabel rather than a forend cap, and likely would not have been checkered at the forend. Nice rifle.

Just another .404...

DSC00978.JPG
DSC00979.JPG

Very clever, now print us some magnum double square bridge mauser actions. (y)
Stug, we will commence shortly by printing a double square bridge Obendorf Magnum action /as well as CNC a double square bridge action.. I foreseen difficulties to sell it abroad and our laws in South Africa does not assist an entrepreneur in our country ....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Very ingenious use of technology , Id sure like to get my hands on some of that bottom metal should you decide to make any available :whistle:
Regardless impressive work.

Pat
Pat, the first five trigger guard/bottom metals/magnum magazine boxes is busy been cast ...I will give more information in this regards. Since I do not need any documentation to be able to sell these items it will be possible to ship to USA and around the world..it is not consider as ammunition or a weapon since it is only a meganism that holds the rounds... (y)(y)(y)

FANTASTIC rifles and very interesting reading..thanks.

I will be using one of these cast items to build my 8x68S hunting rifle with..I will be able to load out to OAL of 91 mm

Reactions: HWL
Pat, the first five trigger guard/bottom metals/magnum magazine boxes is busy been cast ...I will give more information in this regards. Since I do not need any documentation to be able to sell these items it will be possible to ship to USA and around the world..it is not consider as ammunition or a weapon since it is only a meganism that holds the rounds... (y)(y)(y)
Gert still VERY interested. Thank you for still remembering.
Regards
Pat

A very very nice 404, little more information please if available?
Regards
Pat
The rifle was built in the 90´s by the well known gunsmith and employee of RWS, Siegfried Hadler, Fürth/Bay Germany.

Scope is a 2,5x Leupold on detachable mounts, that under no circumstances will hit your eyebrow ;)

Magazine holds 3+1, two crossbolts, barrel 25 1/2 "

HWL

Thanks for the info HWL, the quality shows thru. She is a picture of form & function, and damn pretty to boot!

Beautiful looking rifle you have. Congratulations.

Received my first set of dies that have been made to order! Kinda neat that they’re in 404 Jeffery!

674C0816-9780-4AEA-B61C-06A271176FF6.jpeg
A74FA1C3-F003-4316-A99D-F4B13113BE5F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Between a couple of mates, they have "built" and stocked at least a half-dozen 404s her in Oz; becoming very popular and effective for Water Buff...

What I will be building for my daughter on a ZKK602 Action....

Best buffalo cartridge ever designed and well capable of dealing with elephant as well....

Exceptional all round DG caliber and much better than the old trusty 375 H&H for DG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross