CZ bolt modification?

Cliffy

AH elite
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
127
Media
7
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hunted
Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
Still mulling over a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 and want to know if anyone has modified a bolt on one to allow "low" scope rings instead of medium or high to clear the bolt handle. I've read about it on another forum but would like to hear from someone who has actually done it. How much if any stock work was required.
 
I have not heard of this being done and frankly dont know why anyone would. I had the same rifle for some time and used in Africa twice as it was, worked great. My rings were not high, probably medium and I used a 4X Zeiss and a Kahles 3-9x40, both to good effect. However I am used to shooting with a fairly high cheek weld having a number of guns that are scoped that were not designed to be scoped. I would just get the gun, get the lowest rings, (and a scope without a huge front bell,) that will clear and learn to shoot it as is.
 
Not on a CZ, but got it done on an old Mauser and that is very common to do here in Norway.
I put on a new stock that didn't need any work to make the bolt handle fit.
I am not sure how it is with the CZ as I don't own any now.
 
Just finished up an Odendorf Mauser and noticed the bolt handle rubbed the rear ring slightly I ordered a pair of Burris Tall rings and problem Solved,,,I found it cheaper to change out the rings than Re-modd the Bolt
 
I have a 7x64 CZ550 with a 3-9x40 Leopold on it and no problem with Talley meduim mounts. I suspect that if you stick with a Leupold scope and its relatively small rear housing (1" tubed Leupolds that is) that you won't have a problem with low mounts.

However a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 contacts with the bolt handle in the same mounts on my rifle due to the much larger rear housing.
 
Cliffy, Cost to value ratio. You have to cut, mill smooth, spin round in a lathe, choose your anchor spot and reweld. This would be an un-fun thing to do to your CZ.

I am a full time gunsmith. 35 years. Just my .02 pard..:cook: Cheers Ornery!
 
My 500 Jeffery with Talley QR medium height rings and a Leupold 1.5-5x scope. The scope comes up effortlessly for me as well as do the iron sights when the scope is removed. That being said, I can see why you might want it a tad lower ...

500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
    500_Jeffrey_1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 398
onery-thanks from your point of view. I can cut metal but I'd never be confused with a journeyman machinist My Dad was not me.
colorado- thanks also but man what a pretty rifle! My 1st PH had a custom 500 Jeff and loved it for elephants.
Thanks to others also. I've done it on a Springfield many many years ago but now probably won't on a CZ I'd use a smaller scope anyway as I don't like big headlites on top of my rifles. Just a personal thing. 30mm is about as big as I ever want to get in glass.
 
If push comes to shove, you could always exchange the English style stock for an American one which has less drop on the heel and allows a better cheek weld on a scoped rifle...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,192
Members
169,929
Latest member
KuhuCamka
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top