CZ 550 Lott feeding issue?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by CoElkHunter, Mar 25, 2020.

1. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I took my recently acquired CZ 550 rechambered from WM to the Lott cartridge to the range today. When cycling cartridges through the action from the magazine, sometimes the Lott cartridge rims aren’t captured fully into the bolt face before the cartridge enters the chamber. The cartridge then hangs up on the side of the chamber before entering it? Doesn’t seem to happen when loading WM cartridges? Stiffer magazine follower spring needed? Thanks!

2. USMA84DAB

USMA84DAB AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    MO, CO
    COElkHunter -

Things I could think of:

- Length of cartridge/catching the projectile - the feeding geometry is off (which probably leads to the next possibility)
    - Feed rails now need work - if the bolt face is not capturing the head of the cartridge, that tells me it is not coming up out of the magazine correctly. Stronger follower spring is what I would try first - I was taught that one should not play with feed rails in a cavalier manner.

I bet the reason the projectile is hitting the side of the chamber is because it is not being captured on the bolt face, which would hold it straight for loading into the chamber. Try the spring first - least possible damage to rifle if it isn't needed. Does it do this on the last round, or the next to last (ones fed from the right or left of the magazine)? Have you played with COAL/verified it is proper? Is it the first round out the magazine (when it is lifting the most weight), or is it the last cartridge?

I fear it will be the feed rails though.

Hope this helps. Perhaps someone with better expertise will diagnose things for you?

CAustin and CoElkHunter like this.

3. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for your reply. The WM cartridges feed smoothly, so I’m thinking with the longer Lott cartridge, a stiffer magazine spring might be needed to jam (assist) the cartridge rim into the bolt face quicker before the cartridge attempts to enter the chamber? Don’t know for sure? These are factory Nosler 500gr. Partitions so I don’t think the COAL is an issue? So, I just ran two cycles of ten Lott cartridges through it with no feeding issues? What’s up with that? Maybe it hasn’t been shot much?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020

4. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Taking your last note into consideration......you may be causing the malfunction by not being forcefull in your recycling. Slow or hesitation in cycling can cause pickup problems ,particularly in new rifles

CoElkHunter likes this.

5. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    That could very well be? The last two five round cycles I tried after the OPs post were fast and smooth. This rifle was bought used, but it doesn’t appear it has been shot much? The rails have very little visual wear to them. That also brings up another point. Who would have a rifle rechambered and then not shoot it much or at all with the new chambering?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020

6. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Maybe someone who failed to recognize the added recoil altho as in many things the reasons for selling are endless.
    Will add my Lott started to have feed problems after several years of usage and as suggested above the follower spring was replaced and the problem disappeared.

CoElkHunter likes this.