CZ 527 discontinued

Disappointing...

Glad I have mine already. The 550 and now this. Looks like they're giving up that entire line of their business. Not surprising that M98 and classic safari calibers are not their top sellers though.

@spike.t
Indeed they are turning to pistol company, but modern hype si polymer pistol, striker fire. Thus my reasoning. ;) Who needs (expensive) steel for gun production, any more?! God forbid!

It's a darn shame that CZ and other companies change their production to meet market demands! I assume CZ is a publicity traded company, is it not? Any Business 101 course teaches that the role of the board of directors is to increase the shareholders wealth...

Another problem with good hunting firearms is that they rarely need repair and aside from grave operator error, never self destruct. I hunt with 130 year old shotguns that perform just as they were designed to do. I don't have any rifles that old but I know guys who do. They hunt with, and enjoy target shooting with them.

So if making products that don't normally wear out, what is a for profit company to do but change production to more modern, easier to manufacture products?

Strum Ruger is the leader in production of very functional, easily manufactured firearms. Their .22 semi automatic pistols and rifles are in many of our collections. Thanks to their founder the late Bill Ruger they do cater to those of us that demand unique, qualify sporting arms. Those models or calibers within models are for limited production runs. That limited production in turn creates collectors of Ruger firearms. It also amplifies the desire for all things Ruger.

Similarly, Chevrolet keeps the Corvette in production as their flagship model. Everyone wants a Corvette but buy a Camaro or family car that they can afford or need. The business rule for the Corvette is that Chevy must break even on them.

Back to CZ, will their 550 series become like Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters? Highly collectable and still used on African game trails? There was demand for the controlled round feed and perhaps the Winchester brand which brought back the Classic CRF model. Like those sought after rifles, the 550 may well return as a classic offering when there is significant demand. There may also be immatators like the Ruger Model 77 offering some of the Model 70's features.

Of course if only our friends in countries which limit firearms ownership were not limited. Imagine the demand for the 550 in as many caliber as CZ would care to make ...

Last edited:
I just bought a 527 Lux in .223 3 months ago, and I am very pleased with it. I am even more pleased now that I have seen that they are being discontinued.
The rifle shoots fantastic little groups, and does not seem too choosy on ammo brands either. Additionally, and I know that this is subjective, I believe that the 527 has far superior looks than the new offerings. We shall see.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.