Customs Arriving in South Africa

AllPredatorCalls

Reaction score
Recently bid on and won a hunt for plains game in South Africa. It will be my first time hunting or traveling in South Africa. Couple questions regarding customs coming into SA.

I was trying to get familiar with customs coming into JNB. Apparently you either process through the "RED Channel" or the "GREEN channel" line depending on whether you exceed the Duty Free allowances of 5,000 Rand value (of the personal items that you bringing in). 5,000 R isn't that much, it's the equivalent of $325USD.

Since like most hunters I will have some personal items that will far exceed the $325usd value such as bino's, camera, video camera, etc. Do I pay a VAT on my personal items? and process through the "RED Channel?

Or did I miss read the requirements. Any of you experienced SA travelers care to enlighten me.

Last edited:
Recently bid on and won a hunt for plains game in South Africa. It will be my first time hunting or traveling in South Africa. Couple questions regarding customs coming into SA.

I was trying to get familiar with customs coming into JNB. Apparently you either process through the "RED Channel" or the "GREEN channel" line depending on whether you exceed the Duty Free allowances of 5,000 Rand value (of the personal items that you bringing in). 5,000 R isn't that much, it's the equivalent of $325USD.

Since like most hunters I will have some personal items that will far exceed the $325usd value such as bino's, camera, video camera, etc. Do I pay a VAT on my personal items? and process through the "RED Channel?

Or did I miss read the requirements. Any of you experienced SA travelers care to enlighten me.

I too am interested in this!

I'm thinking this must apply to residents of RSA that are returning home with goods they bought while outside the country and are now permanently importing them. It's that or somehow I've avoided paying a bunch of VAT on my rifles that I've taken there for hunting.

You are not going to be paying VAT on personal items.
The threat is the deposit until you prove re export.

http://ortambo-airport.com/travelguide/customs.php

"Personal effects, sport and recreational equipment:
You can bring in personal effects, sport and recreational equipment, either as accompanied or unaccompanied baggage, for your own use during your visit.

In the case of very expensive articles, you may be required to lodge a cash deposit to cover the potential duty/tax on their re-export. The deposit will be refunded on departure after a customs officer has inspected the items and verified that they are being re-exported."

If you are bringing a firearm you are bringing in restricted goods. Hence the requirement for obtaining a permit.

I have never been so much as asked a questions about $20,000 worth of camera equipment on any crossing of the border in RSA.

Last edited:
I didn't have a problem last year and I brought in a lot of camera gear.

If you haven't looked into it yet myself and many others on here would suggest that you do a meet and greet at the Joburg airport to whisk you through along with the SAP's 520 firearm permit. There are a couple of great companies doing this for a fee. Rifle Permits.com is a sponsor on the forum here and while they charge for the service it is well worth the money to get rid of the problems that you might incur.

They wont ask about any cameras, computers, etc. Agree with & JimP, a meet and greet is well worth it plus pre approved rifle permit

Thanks for the info. My PH will be picking us up at the airport. I'm still deciding if I will take my rifles, or use his loaners ($30 per day). I'm leaning toward using his and avoiding the paperwork and hassle.

Thanks for the info. My PH will be picking us up at the airport. I'm still deciding if I will take my rifles, or use his loaners ($30 per day). I'm leaning toward using his and avoiding the paperwork and hassle.

Honestly, the paper work into RSA and Namibia is simple and has zero cost when you do it yourself.
Having a copy completed in your bag awaiting your signature upon arrival is pretty trouble free.
The only time I have seen line ups is when a jet comes in from the US filled with hunters.
If you are running to another plane, it can be a little more interesting.

Have fun planning the final details of your trip.

I'm heading on my third trip next month, due to my work location bringing my firearms from the states is never an option. On my first trip The outfitter supplied CZ 550's in 30-06 and 375, both shot so good that I recently purchased my own in 7x57. Second trip with the same outfit it was a new Winchester in 30-06 and it shot great as well. Both trips the wife used a Ruger M77 in 250 Savage that I also used on jackals. Been looking for one of these ever since thats cheap enough for me to buy. I personally don't mind using the outfitters guns at all, I realize it's not for everyone but in my case it sure makes it easier to travel and I don't have a choice otherwise. Also I've never declared anything traveling through SA or Botswana.

Never even been asked a question! The people are just glad to stamp your passport and move you through.

Never even been asked a question! The people are just glad to stamp your passport and move you through.

been my experience as well

We did not have any trouble with our firearms(had form already filled out) or cameras/computers/tablets etc getting into or out of RSA and on the connecting flights in RSA.
I like to take my own rifles and ammo. No real hassle other than 2 double rifle cases are more work to move. Then I am able to use my rifles with my handloads to take my animals. Which is the reason I own them to start with.
Others may think differently and that is fine. It is their hunt and experience. I di like shooting my PH's rifle since it had a can on it which we cannot own in the screwed up state I live in here in the USA.

I say: Do not let the little and simply paperwork stop you from using your rifles. We did not use a gun service or meet and greet but in 2017 I will at least use the gun service since I cannot stand in lines for very long and will have another flight to catch to Port Elizabeth. The gun service guys just go to the front of the line and even behind the counter to get you done and out fast.

I've never heard of this and been there a few times. If you are worried about it put your expensive stuff on a 4457. Take your gun its not that much trouble! Smile, wait patiently, and all will go well 99% of the time.
Have a great Safari!
Regards,
Philip

I've found them quick friendly and welcome you as a visitor. If your a resident returning to South Africa think of process you go through returning to your homeland

Reactions: lcq
I've found them quick friendly and welcome you as a visitor. If your a resident returning to South Africa think of process you go through returning to your homeland

amen

I have traveled quite a bit, never go thru the red line you are just asking for trouble. I had some flower seeds (the legal kind) that I pick up in French Polynesia on my way to Australia and went thru the Red line to declare them an hour later and complete search of my luggage and the weighting of the suitcase to make sure nothing was hidden, I finally made it out of customs.

You won't have your firearms with you when you go through Customs, assuming you bring them. They will have gone directly to the Firearms Office upstairs. So unless you are a resident who has bought a bunch of stuff, or are planning on leaving a bunch of stuff behind, then you go through the green line.

done it a dozen times and never had a problem. They are actually quite helpful.

Reactions: lcq

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasityNck

Latest profile posts

I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!