Custom work

SoVa

AH senior member
Joined
Mar 16, 2024
Messages
84
Reaction score
139
Media
3
If you had a Winchester m70 or ruger Hawkeye and wanted to have it rebarreled and express sights installed or have the front sight moved back and barrel shortened and threaded where would you send it?

Has anyone done this? Have a cost estimate?
 
Are you wanting to make it African looking?

There’s a fellow who specialises in M70 and Ruger conversions to make them more English looking but I can’t recall his name. Someone will know the name and be along shortly.
 
It all depends on how much your wanting to spend on the build and the type of rifle you want to build?
 
Definitely RJ Renner your donor rifle and $3k
I found mine on GI for $1450

He will work on your rifle too without the full conversion
IMG_7502.jpeg
IMG_7503.jpeg
IMG_7504.jpeg
IMG_7505.jpeg
 
I’ve used RJ Renner, Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks (yes for metal work too), and Arctic Gunworks, all with excellent results.
 
$3k is adding old Rigby style irons, barrel band, blueing and a custom stock.
 
I can attest to the quality of work that RJ Renner and Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks do! Either would be a good choice.
 
What did the 3k include? All I want is to have the front sight moved back and the barrel shortened slightly and threaded for a suppressor.
I had similar work done on my .375 Ruger Alaskan by a local gunsmith. He didn't shorten the barrel though, as I liked it a 20." The work included glass bedding, installing a 1" Pachmayr pad without cutting the stock for a 14" LOP, removal of the front sight, threading 5/8"-24, installation of a new factory Ruger sight, and bead blasting. Price was $500-$600, but I don't remember exactly how much. Less costly than I anticipated considering the amount of work he had to put into it. He had quite the struggle removing the old front sight since he was trying to reuse it. Eventually he had to give up on that and order a replacement.
 
I had similar work done on my .375 Ruger Alaskan by a local gunsmith. He didn't shorten the barrel though, as I liked it a 20." The work included glass bedding, installing a 1" Pachmayr pad without cutting the stock for a 14" LOP, removal of the front sight, threading 5/8"-24, installation of a new factory Ruger sight, and bead blasting. Price was $500-$600, but I don't remember exactly how much. Less costly than I anticipated considering the amount of work he had to put into it. He had quite the struggle removing the old front sight since he was trying to reuse it. Eventually he had to give up on that and order a replacement.
Thank you, also good to know I can get sights from ruger.
 
John McLaughlin of Helena MT has done the metal work on three of my Model 70 rebarreling, profiling, truing actions, chambering, crowning. He is an excellent metalsmith.
 
What did the 3k include? All I want is to have the front sight moved back and the barrel shortened slightly and threaded for a suppressor.
A buddy had this done with a factory 375. Cut, crown, and thread for suppressor ~350$. New NECG front sight and install another ~$300. No bluing or coating work was added.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,516
Members
169,576
Latest member
Teresa7277
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top