Custom stock maker?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I recently purchased a Win M70 in 416 RM and absolutely love the action and balance of the rifle. however, I am not overly fond of the stock design. for what ever reason Winchester stocks always seem to be less comfortable to me and seem to exaggerate recoil. I suspect its a combination of the LOP being a little too short for me and the stock having almost no drop to it. the rifle was inexpensive enough that spending a little more for a different stock wouldn't be unreasonable.

can you recommend a stock maker that can produce a new stock for this rifle that would be made to fit me?

im not looking for something really fancy, just a field grade stock with serviceable checkering that fits me better.

thanks
-matt

I recently purchased a Win M70 in 416 RM and absolutely love the action and balance of the rifle. however, I am not overly fond of the stock design. for what ever reason Winchester stocks always seem to be less comfortable to me and seem to exaggerate recoil. I suspect its a combination of the LOP being a little too short for me and the stock having almost no drop to it. the rifle was inexpensive enough that spending a little more for a different stock wouldn't be unreasonable.

can you recommend a stock maker that can produce a new stock for this rifle that would be made to fit me?

im not looking for something really fancy, just a field grade stock with serviceable checkering that fits me better.

thanks
-matt

Matt85,

My limited experience with Stock Makers is that the cost of their labor far out weighs what an extra well figured walnut blank costs.

In other words, for what it's going to cost you to have a stock made, you may as well pick out a fine and fancy grained blank to deliver to your Stock Maker, along with your down payment.

Comparatively speaking, the fancy blank will not be a huge percentage of the total price.

If your Model 70 stock is synthetic, you cannot do much to reshape it.

I would look at some of these mostly inletted stocks available at any one of several gunstock and stock blank companies on the internet (Dressel's is a good one).

Then you could either reshape it yourself or, perhaps a stock maker would be affordable to complete the inletting and reshape it, as opposed to starting from a flat blank.

Then perhaps you could put on the oil finish and buy yourself some checkering tools.

Good luck with it all,
Velo dog.

Matt85

Where do you live?

I would suggest you contact Wenig out of Missouri as they make great stocks for both rifles and shotguns.

You will have to go through a fitting process, which usually takes a day. And that includes shooting the stock before you leave. if you need there e mail or phone number let me know. They have built 3 stocks for me. Your wood selection is based on how much you are willing to pay. They have drop dead wood.
http://www.wenig.com/

In Texas have you considered looking at Todd Ramirez, I have not used him however the stocks i have seen are simply great. again your wallet will be your guide on the wood you select.
http://customgun.com/

I have Phil Simms from Colorado that does great work and i have stock from him also...

In Ohio there is Dennis DeVault who builds stocks. He also built a stock for me.

In Montana there are a few also.

In Oregon there is Stocker John who builds good stocks, he is out side Portland.

thanks for all the suggestions! ill send out some emails and get some quotes.

I tried http://www.canyoncreekgunstocks.com but they wanted $2200 for the stock. :eek:

im new to buying custom stocks, is that price normal? I was hoping for around $800-$1300.

-matt

I tried http://www.canyoncreekgunstocks.com but they wanted $2200 for the stock. :eek:

im new to buying custom stocks, is that price normal? I was hoping for around $800-$1300.

-matt

Matt the last rifle stock blank cost me $1,100 and that was very nice... With fitting the stock and inleting , checkering you are looking at about 2,000 to 4,000 total price.

Have you checked with the following
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
The stock will come almost as a drop in with a little fitting work , checkering and finishing work you will be on your way.

Just follow their easy steps to see what is available for your rifle. You should know that they make stocks for different gun companies. So you could call them for up graded wood and see what the cost will be.

-matt

I looked at the sites suggested and all are $3000-4800.nice but not that nice imo

Do you have a stock that you like and fits you properly, If so I know of a guy who can duplicate it

Rob44, i did but unfortunately the rifle is back with Mr. Searcy for an unknown length of time. my 500/416 NE double was pretty much perfect except for being a little long on the LOP.

so i dont have one at the moment.

-matt

You will have to go through a fitting process, which usually takes a day. And that includes shooting the stock before you leave. if you need there e mail or phone number let me know. They have built 3 stocks for me. Your wood selection is based on how much you are willing to pay. They have drop dead wood.
http://www.wenig.com/

good news, Wenig just sent me an email saying they could make a stock for $1220.00. this price will include checkering, finish, pillar bedding, and glass bedding.

-matt

Wenig does a great job...

Did you get the length you were needing?

Did you go with the standard checkering or a different design, they have many to chose from. The checkering group have all done a good job for me.

And will they get the comb the correct height for your eye to align with the iron sights?

i responded with an email asking about such details. i also asked if there was someone in WA state who could take my measurements so the stock would properly fit me.

-matt

I will be interested to see how the final results turn out(y)

i responded with an email asking about such details. i also asked if there was someone in WA state who could take my measurements so the stock would properly fit me.

-matt

That is one reason i usually drive there. However they do travel around the country with a trailer and will be at Tucson for the spring grand trap-shoot in February... which reminds me i will have to call a friend to see if we are pre-squadded.

I got a response today and they said they don't usually fit rifles other then for LOP.

-matt

Are there any stock makers attending SCI where you might be able to get a deal and get fitted?

Are there any stock makers attending SCI where you might be able to get a deal and get fitted?

i was just thinking about this aswell. ill check around while im there.

-matt

i was just thinking about this aswell. ill check around while im there.

-matt
They were at DSC last year. I can't imagine they won't be at SCI.

Matt , have you considered a synthetic stock ?

I am looking for one for my Winchester and I am not sure of which ones are the best in the USA.

i have never seen a plastic stock that felt "right". i just prefer the feel of wood and steel.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg