Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Matt;
Have you considered a laminated stock? Resist warping and much stronger than standard wood but still the feel of wood, and the classic look can be maintained with some of them....

Anyone remember the name of the company that is making the 3 piece laminate that does not look like a laminate? I recall reading about it.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
ive seen some nice looking laminate stocks. however, in my experience laminate stocks are very heavy. Id like to keep my 416 RM under 10.5 pounds which might be tough with laminate.

now with a heavy DG rifle such as a 505 Gibbs, I wouldn't be against a laminate stock as long as it looked proper (none of those bright colors).

-matt

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Wish I could remember the maker of those 3 piece laminates. Supposed to get most but not all the strength of a "plywood" type laminate but not add anywhere near the weight and maintain the classic looks of a regular one piece stock.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
i have never seen a plastic stock that felt "right". i just prefer the feel of wood and steel.

-matt

Agreed. Unless I am in the Tanana River Flats or some equivalent, it is wood and steel!

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
ActionBob,
Are you referring to the stealth lamination that Kilimanjaro Rifles of Montana use? 3 piece lam from the same blank to keep the grain symmetry the same. Very cool idea.

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
ActionBob,
Are you referring to the stealth lamination that Kilimanjaro Rifles of Montana use? 3 piece lam from the same blank to keep the grain symmetry the same. Very cool idea.
Yes;
Wondering if those stocks are available to anyone for any gun or now only on a Kilimanjaro?

If I had to to re-stock a gun, wanted wood and wanted to really do it to last on a valuable gun... That is the stock I would want!

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
I would add, after my elephant hunt with my "stock" Winchester M70, going through a couple days of rain and lots of jungle, blowing sand, etc.... And after taking it all apart to clean it after getting home, and seeing how much crud got into it and the moisture trapped in there, already starting to rust the metal, etc...

"When" (rather than "if"!) I go to Alaska and seeing how tough the conditions can get and possibility of salt water, etc. I plan to take the Ruger Guide Gun with stainless steel and laminated stock.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
For wood stocks here in Alaska, including laminated ones, I strongly recommend the following:

Take it apart from the metal and remove the buttplate, sling swivels and any other gadget that it has on the wood.

Put your stock then into the driest environment possible for several months (beside the water heater is what I have used many times).

On a warm, sunny, windless day, take it outside and cover the finished areas of your stock with newspaper and masking tape.
Then with Verathane or Urethane or Marine Sparr Varnish or similar product, festoon all areas left exposed from your having removed the parts and pieces, including the bolt holes that hold it to the metal.

However care must be taken to not over-do the sling stud holes or they can split the stock when replaced.

This method has worked very well for me and I have hunted many times in some very wet/windy conditions indeed.

AkMike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
Get a can of Johnson's automotive paste wax and go over everything a couple of times prior to the hunt. It works fine.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Pretty well explained but here's the quantifiable:

Stocking costs from $2000 to $10,000 in labor.

Wood costs from $200 to $2500.

Average cost all-in is $4000 for a good stocking job and usually it takes 1-2 years. I've waited 4+ years for one very special sticking job of which perhaps <10 people in the states are qualified to perform properly.

Bottom line, throw the gun away and buy a new one that has a stock you like better or drop the coinage to get the stock you want. Good stock work isn't cheap.

Big5

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
For wood stocks here in Alaska, including laminated ones, I strongly recommend the following:

Take it apart from the metal and remove the buttplate, sling swivels and any other gadget that it has on the wood.

Put your stock then into the driest environment possible for several months (beside the water heater is what I have used many times).

On a warm, sunny, windless day, take it outside and cover the finished areas of your stock with newspaper and masking tape.
Then with Verathane or Urethane or Marine Sparr Varnish or similar product, festoon all areas left exposed from your having removed the parts and pieces, including the bolt holes that hold it to the metal.

However care must be taken to not over-do the sling stud holes or they can split the stock when replaced.

This method has worked very well for me and I have hunted many times in some very wet/windy conditions indeed.

Get a can of Johnson's automotive paste wax and go over everything a couple of times prior to the hunt. It works fine.

'Velo Dog's' suggestion is a terrific way to weatherize a wood stock.

Call me lazy, but I've just heavily waxed the entire stock and metal as 'AkMike' suggests for all Alaska and other foul weather hunts for many years now. Works for me.

Last edited:

ack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a Boyd's laminated a while back and gun fit perfect..Maybe they can do some alterations for you.

WildRose

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.texasquail.com
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
U.S Inletting and Gun Stocks out of Marysville CA makes some excellent stocks for the M70.

http://gunstockinletting.com/

They work with all woods and can provide you a blank of whatever quality and grade you want.

I actually prefer laminates over natural wood for their weather resistance and strength. Moisture simply doesn't penetrate them since the wood used is infused with epoxy under pressure as part of the laminating process. There's no more than perhaps a couple of ounces difference in a modern laminate and a hardwood stock of the same dimensions.

I appreciate the beauty of a great piece of hardwood but I don't pamper my guns and don't want to have to shed a tear over every scratch or nick.

If I wanted to go with a true craftsman work of art in a stock I'd call Joel Russo. I know Joel and have seen a lot of his work and he is truly a master craftsman.

http://www.russoriflestocks.com/

Desert Dog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Look no further than these guys: http://accurateinnovations.com/

They did several pre-64 M70s for me. The aluminum block fits perfect to the action and never needs to be bedded or messed with again, huge accuracy improvement, and you can have wood without any of the drawbacks of wood. Their craftsmanship is fantastic and prices are decent.

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
ÌI have both synethic and wood stocks ...Both I love however the synethic are on my cull rifles I just find them so much better for an everyday rifle ...

However the walnut burr on some of my rifles I also love ..

Synethic on a double ....sir or madam you have offended me without apologies possible

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I haven't done any business with this outfit (yet) but their website looks interesting and extensive. I've seen several comments (some good, some not so good) on them. Negative comments are mainly due to time required for a semi-custom stock. Some of their bargin bin stocks look like a good deal if someone wanted to try their hand at finishing a stock themselves.

Richards Microfit Stocks, Inc.
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I would add, after my elephant hunt with my "stock" Winchester M70, going through a couple days of rain and lots of jungle, blowing sand, etc.... And after taking it all apart to clean it after getting home, and seeing how much crud got into it and the moisture trapped in there, already starting to rust the metal, etc...

"When" (rather than "if"!) I go to Alaska and seeing how tough the conditions can get and possibility of salt water, etc. I plan to take the Ruger Guide Gun with stainless steel and laminated stock.

ActionBob I think you will be glad when you take the Guide a Gun to Alaska!

Desert Dog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
When they were making the special run of Model 70 Alaskans with stainless and laminate stocks, I bought two! Glad I did.

Attachments

• 375 HampH.jpg
    375 HampH.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sir Eddie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.