Custom Built 425 Westley Richards

Here's some pictures of the my older rifle with the extended magazine.

Westley Richards 425WR 012.JPG
Westley Richards 425WR 015.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside I got my rifle from my late step father who swopped it for a .375 H&H, plain Jane rifle, from the original owner whom he was in the BSAP in the old Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) so I am the third owner. It has the original owner's name engraved on the barrel next to the rear sight which matches the WR records.

The box is a magazine, but what are the side clips?? Don't know that one.
The side clips are two little spring loaded "fingers" that jutted out from the top sides of the action and were supposed to stop the uppermost cartridge from raising up too far and causing an issue with the bolt not clasping the cartridge correctly when sliding into battery. More of a gimmick IMHO.

Thank you Wheels.
I really have no idea how many have been made with the extended "box" magazine. They still offer it as an option on current production models. I used to have one (5 round) with a 28" barrel made in the '30's but the barrel was so shot out that I couldn't hit the inside of a barn if I was standing in it.
Some of the "game ranger" models had a smaller box and those held four rounds. Mine with the flush magazine holds three.

Thanks for the education!

See below for "side clips"
Thanks for the picture, very small cant quite tell what the purpose would be other than as a charger or guide? Thanks.

And then I saw your earlier post with description, thanks!!:A Bonk:

OP hasnt posted since January.

The side clips are two little spring loaded "fingers" that jutted out from the top sides of the action and were supposed to stop the uppermost cartridge from raising up too far and causing an issue with the bolt not clasping the cartridge correctly when sliding into battery. More of a gimmick IMHO.

No, no.
Not an gimmick.
These two clipps are very important.
Without them (the special design of the .425 cart.) you will see what jamming means.
The cheaper models dont have them and have mostley all feeding problems.

44254641nt.jpg

This is an great 425 WR (from the 1920thys...?).
For ca. 6.000 Euro (I have nothing to do with the seeling).
(Scroll a little bit down)

Last edited by a moderator:
This rifle has been for sale for years. The seller has a good reputation but no buyer can be found.

The ammunition supply could be a reason.

...I think it is the caliber.
("Very problematic" case design...).
And the costs for the handmade amo.

The rifle is great.
I handelt it, like a dream....

Of corse you should change the scope (it is too big)...
The last owner used it "for night hunting"...

I also think it's mainly the ammo.

I looked in my country to see in case I would buy such a rifle, I could also buy ammunition for it or at least produce it by reloading. It didn't look good.

The scope disfigures the presentation of the rifle, but a change for a more suitable scope would not be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg