Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I'm staying home here on the farm with my wife. We got enough to do around here. Could stay here indefinitely if we had to.

I'm staying home and doing some fishing out back when it's not raining.
Gunbroker and reloading room fills up a healthy portion.
I do take a drive into town just to see what's going on every now and then.

I'm staying home here on the farm with my wife. We got enough to do around here. Could stay here indefinitely if we had to.
I am a rancher so all is about normal for us. The exception being all three kids home doing online school/college.
We have a two week mandate to stay home that just started today. We will see how all this shakes out.

I'm staying home and doing some fishing out back when it's not raining.
Gunbroker and reloading room fills up a healthy portion.
I do take a drive into town just to see what's going on every now and then.
I drive into town to do same thing. I got enough stuff to do here on the farm that I shouldn't be in town.

Working in the yard, taking dogs for runs, playing board games and drinks in evening, getting my old Beeman pistol out teaching my wife and daughter proficiency at handgun shooting, answering work calls and emails. Enough food and drinks for 4 weeks. Not bad just wish everyone was being socially correct and end this sooner than later

Working in the yard, taking dogs for runs, playing board games and drinks in evening, getting my old Beeman pistol out teaching my wife and daughter proficiency at handgun shooting, answering work calls and emails. Enough food and drinks for 4 weeks. Not bad just wish everyone was being socially correct and end this sooner than later

I know you mean "Socially responsible."

I'm kinda stuck in the middle of it. I work in the busiest grocery store in western colorado. About 1,400 customers a day currently.
Wash hands several times per hour, try and follow guidelines.
Not supposed to get within 6ft of other employees or customers but it's rather difficult.
They're talking law enforcement help to limit customers to 50 max in the store due to customers complaints about so many people.
Of course if people would shop alone instead of bringing the whole family it would really help.

@Wade J VanGinkel - Hats off to you and those like you who continue to keep society functioning. I've seen the same sort of thing here in the little town of Armstrong BC, where I do most of my shopping. People stocking up, and butchers, bakers, shelf stockers, tellers, Everyone literally sweating to keep shelves and coolers stocked, despite knowing many are going to be sick. Heroic efforts all.
Thanks again.

We live in the country on an acherage so isolation is normal plus now my wife has a flu with full symptoms so we are on quarantine. I have elk and deer in the freezer, and some stock of chicken etc. Bought flour, and staples. Made easy meals ahead like stews, soups, curry etc. in case we just don't feel like cooking. Stocked up on meds as needed. Picked up some subsonic .22 ammo for plinking in the backyard.
I plan on reading, reloading, walking, doing photography and projects. My wife is knitting, practicing her clarinet, walking etc.
If we get THE virus well, hope for the best I guess. My 27 year old daughter is living in Berlin so that is a concern.

Alaska has been interesting. My employer is a Native health care facility (but I'm not medical).

First we set up a screening checkpoint out front. If anyone had symptoms our staff met them outside. That was last week.

This week most non medical staff are staying home. I will be checking on people we are concerned about using an online platform. We will have Hunter Education and community groups online.

My "favorite" part is that I finally get to learn how video games work. They sent me home with a couple systems. I'm supposed to figure out how they work and then spend time playing with kids in the community online. I'm supposed to lead outdoor adventures, now I'm playing video games. That's a plot twist I never would have expected. But I think it's a good plan and I'm grateful i still have a job. Hopefully it's not to bad here. Some remote villages have basically cut off all access.

I have a lot of reloading stuff so I think I'll spend my down time working up a bunch of loads. Sadly I think my Kodiak bear hunt this spring will be canceled. I'll have to see if I can figure out a local option.

Nothing really exceptional here.

The job side of things are interesting. I am closed by a state order for about 98.7% of what I do, so lots of down time during the week. I am considering this as training for retirement event. I kind of like it so far. More time to fish, read and dream. Much less stress.

As far as life goes, I don't really head out that often. Maybe a trip to the store here and there. Small recon missions to watch how this event changes life in this town.

Generally, it has been fairly pleasant, although I am sorry to read about those that are truly affected by this disease.

I do want to thank all the good folks in the grocery stores for putting up with the hoarding nonsense and stupidity of the public in general during this time!

Last edited:
No more social gatherings, no more shopping, no more church. My social circle is limited to a few immediate family members. Our freezers and pantry are full ( as its our normal practise) , our Netflix account is getting used a lot, and our personal library is busy too. I've finished the odd jobs that I've put off for months, like adding the inside trim to the windows and doors in my 2 yr old workshop/garage. Made a big batch of elk sausage yesterday. I predict my already kinda silly huge stockpile of hand loaded ammunition is going to grow by several hundred rounds.

mmmmm Elk Sausage.

Pretty much just staying at home, cancelling club meetings and functions. Babysitting my 2 year old grandson while his momma works crazy hours, she's a CPA. My wife was scheduled to retire next week but her plant closed down yesterday for 2 weeks so she's now officially retired, that will really help with the grandson.

WFH, working longer hours than I do when I go to the office (worked until 0200 Friday morning, then back up and at it at 0830 after a few hours of good sleep). Church is closed. The Blue Lodge is closed.

At least I don't have to fight Houston traffic for another week or two. We've got lots of food laid by, but we can still get to the grocery.

Had a followup Dr visit Tue for a cholesterol check. All is good, cholesterol down about half, chest and lungs clear, bp normal, oxygen intake 94%. I've been catching up on little details at home, walking the dog (and me) twice a day for about 5 miles and working out in the evenings. Occasional run to the store but I try to time it for off times to minimize contact.
I got to thinking about this covid thing and it reminded me of an old movie about the plague in England in the 1660s called "Forever Amber" starring Linda Darnell and Cornel Wilde. My Mom and I saw it in 1944. I can still remember some parts of it so I watched it last night. I've got another one on tap for tonight called "The Flame And The Arrow" from the early 1950s and is set in Medieval England. I think Burt Lancaster is in this one. This is a good time for old movies.

Well, my folks and I have a grain and livestock farm, so nothing really changed there. We also have a recycling and garbage collection business. We did close the office there to walk in traffic (drop off of recycling aluminum can buying, and electronics drop off). For now, collections continue as normal because we'r ste a public health and sanitation critical infrastructure. However, some recycling may get diverted if there is a big jump in cases (so far, only 4 confirmed in the 11 county area we serve, and all those in one county).

Wife is still watching friend's 1-year old daughter every day.

The big thing missing is social activities. PF banquet fire next week postponed. No Masonic Lodge. Supposed to have a fundraiser whiskey tasting last night that is postponed (small batch and craft whiskeys is the theme this year). Church has moved all services to livestream on Facebook, and added extra things to help us connect and focus on Christ. I actually find myself drawing deeper into my faith.

Oh, and cleaning the house...a lot. We tidy every day, but it needs a good deep clean with the wide and I our 9-month old, the guy l friends 1- year old, and a 70 pound Spinone.

WFH, working longer hours than I do when I go to the office (worked until 0200 Friday morning, then back up and at it at 0830 after a few hours of good sleep). Church is closed. The Blue Lodge is closed.

At least I don't have to fight Houston traffic for another week or two. We've got lots of food laid by, but we can still get to the grocery.

Sgt Zim,
So you are a Brother Mason, also. All Masonic lodges and functions in NV are close til sometime in April. Kind of a forced stand down for those of us who are quite active in Lodge. I'm a PM and Trustee (Douglas 12 in Genoa, NV) and do most of the maintenance work in and around my lodge. What lodge do you attend? We have several transplanted Texans in our lodge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg