Curious about Euro Mount

Tucketed

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
This picture was posted by Life Forms Taxidermy a sponsor here. My question is if there is a name understood by taxidermist for mounts.It’s not a typical full euro with most of the skull. It’s cut further into the skull leaving less bone which I kind of like.
D825107B-46F5-4DD2-A047-80AB492B366D.jpeg

I guess they cut it like that so it sits flat on the plaque. I personally use the skull hooker system that hooks into the spinal cord cavity on the few euro mounts I have. ( feral pig, bushpig, Javalina, baboon and whitetail) bottom of the picture.

9F3B4813-48CE-4361-BE5E-BC66522F6755.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As @frankdes said, that is a typical European or skull mount as it's done in Europe. In the US the teeth are often left on. Mine from Namibia were done like this and I prefer it that way, but my caribou from an Alaskan taxidermist and my latest skulls from South Africa were done with the teeth remaining.

Thank you, I have a number of euro mounts I just found this more pleasing. I guess the removal of the teeth and the end of nose bone removed. I didn’t notice the upper teeth missing. Now I know how to describe if I need this look.

This picture was posted by Life Forms Taxidermy a sponsor here. My question is if there is a name understood by taxidermist for mounts.It’s not a typical full euro with most of the skull. It’s cut further into the skull leaving less bone which I kind of like.View attachment 458702
Good day @Tucketed. I hope all is well. We classify this as a European Shieldmount. I will post a Full skull Shieldmount below. Let me know if there's anything I can help with. Kind regards. Guy

@Tucketed That Sable may have required the skull modification to increase the forward angle to allow this wall mount. Horns sweeping back to far may have contacted the wall.

kudu-fullskull-shieldmount-ff-038-jpg.458854

A kudu Full Skull Shieldmount...

Attachments

• Kudu Fullskull Shieldmount - FF 038.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 425
Last edited by a moderator:
Guy @LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY thank you, I have looked at a bunch of euro mounts and that one caught my eye. I was glad to be pointed out by @Ryan the teeth being removed and @BRICKBURN comment about tilting away from the wall. All my whitetail and elk euros I did not remove the upper teeth and I believe I like without. My wife and I recently moved back to Florida and downsized the home quite a bit so limited wall space due to size and lots of windows on the water. I have a trip to Africa this year and was looking for options primarily euros and I saw Guys Sable mount which I enjoyed. Thank you for all the help. As usual all you guys on AH are the best resources in the world and I sincerely appreciate.
Ed

As you can see by Life-Form's own samples, some skulls are cut, some are full upper skulls as in the kudu example. I agree with Brickburn's assessment about the sable and angle also BTW. I don't think there is a certain name/label to describe the cut skull option. In the US, Euro is normally accepted as the full upper skull. If you want them cut, just let them know.
For a slight history lesson, which you didn't ask for :). the "Euro mount" label is taken from the style of horn/antler mount that was common in Europe. Interestingly, that style was the exact way you are requesting. A half upper skull normally attached to an adorned carved wood plaque. As it become popular in the US, the Euro tag was associated with a full skull, not the cut version. Maybe not a surprise, but the US bastardized the name and style :LOL: . That is my understanding of the Euro Mount history for what its worth.

This picture was posted by Life Forms Taxidermy a sponsor here. My question is if there is a name understood by taxidermist for mounts.It’s not a typical full euro with most of the skull. It’s cut further into the skull leaving less bone which I kind of like.View attachment 458702
Actually, this is what a "typical" Euro actually looks like - in Europe at least. ;) I think it looks great. I personally do not care for the full skull done so often in the States.

I do all my antlered and European game that way.

trophy room2.jpg

This Fallow stag was done by my Austrian taxidermist.

plaque1.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see by Life-Form's own samples, some skulls are cut, some are full upper skulls as in the kudu example. I agree with Brickburn's assessment about the sable and angle also BTW. I don't think there is a certain name/label to describe the cut skull option. In the US, Euro is normally accepted as the full upper skull. If you want them cut, just let them know.
For a slight history lesson, which you didn't ask for :). the "Euro mount" label is taken from the style of horn/antler mount that was common in Europe. Interestingly, that style was the exact way you are requesting. A half upper skull normally attached to an adorned carved wood plaque. As it become popular in the US, the Euro tag was associated with a full skull, not the cut version. Maybe not a surprise, but the US bastardized the name and style :LOL: . That is my understanding of the Euro Mount history for what its worth.
And still is the primary way trophies are displayed in Europe. To me, the full skull looks like something found on the side of the road. Maybe they should be called "North Americo's?" :unsure:

And still is the primary way trophies are displayed in Europe. To me, the full skull looks like something found on the side of the road. Maybe they should be called "North Americo's?" :unsure:
I've seen a skull mount (with the teeth in and stuck directly to a wall) referred to as a "Texas Mount" a lot.

@Tucketed
@LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY should be shipping mine any day now. Three of my nine are Euro Shield Mounts (No Teeth), and five are shoulder mounts. ( I haven't seen a freight quote yet, which should be the final step.)

They have examples of most (but not all) of the different types of mounts/animals on their web site - identified by name and number.

In communicating with them I selected what a wanted for one animal and requested the other Euros be done the same way. Adding the words "No Teeth" hopefully keeps us on the same page. Communication is always a challenge.

Wouldn’t we know Americans bastardized what was already beautiful. @Red Leg I have always loved your displays and trophy room. Certainly if I ever get a large wart hog I would do the European tusk plaque like you have done. Hippo would also work well. Always loved the old Black Forest mounts

@Tucketed
@LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY should be shipping mine any day now. Three of my nine are Euro Shield Mounts (No Teeth), and five are shoulder mounts. ( I haven't seen a freight quote yet, which should be the final step.)

They have examples of most (but not all) of the different types of mounts/animals on their web site - identified by name and number.

In communicating with them I selected what a wanted for one animal and requested the other Euros be done the same way. Adding the words "No Teeth" hopefully keeps us on the same page. Communication is always a challenge.
Good day @shootist~ .Is there anyway that I can assist with communication difficulties with my company? Happy to help. Kind regards. Guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmelyCantr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani