Cultures & Calibres: An In Depth Analysis

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Most excellent Major Khan! I think this is the best article yet but, whenever I read a new article from you I always think the same.;):LOL: If I may be bold enough to ask, where is your new restaurant located?
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Joe . It is my utmost privilege that you have enjoyed this article , so much .
And please ... No subject is ever taboo with me . My newest restaurant is located in the Chittagong Division of Bangladesh .

WebleyGreene455

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
American Calibres ( 1961 - 1970 )
View attachment 348331
Major, this photo intrigues me. You said these tigers were taken with .30-06 bullets, yes? Sometime last week I happened on a picture on the site's front page (as one does) and at the moment I can't find it again (as one does), but it was of an American serviceman in India with a tiger he'd killed. In his hands was his .30-06 M1 Garand battle rifle, so I'd reckon it was during WWII. Going up against a tiger with a .30-06 sounds scary enough, from what I've heard from you and others, but to use standard military ammunition instead of something tuned for taking down something larger and stronger than a human being, even in a semi-automatic rifle, must've been one hell of a thing!

Wyatt Smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Could it have been somewhere other than India? I know a few tigers were hunted in Vietnam by US servicemen. I don’t know if any of our pacific theatre battles were fought in land that contained tigers or not. The British were in Burma, they could have probably ran across a tiger there.
I do not wish to sound like an expert, I’m not, but I am very curious.

WebleyGreene455

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Could it have been somewhere other than India? I know a few tigers were hunted in Vietnam by US servicemen. I don’t know if any of our pacific theatre battles were fought in land that contained tigers or not. The British were in Burma, they could have probably ran across a tiger there.
I do not wish to sound like an expert, I’m not, but I am very curious.
The photo was captioned as being in India and it was definitely an American serviceman. The uniform and M1 would suggest WWII, unless he was very early in Vietnam with MACV or MAAG or whichever the advisors were at that point. But I agree it might have been mislabeled as India because I cannot recall US personnel in India unless maybe they were on leave from activities in Burma, or just after the war? It's devilishly hard to find photos again on here but I'll try!

WebleyGreene455

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
@Major Khan & @Wyatt Smith Okay it wasn't so hard. Just used my address bar to find it! Here you are:

Original thread here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/hunting-days-india.2980/

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
@WebleyGreene455 and Master @Wyatt Smith , actually ... I have had the good fortune to take a look at that photograph , as well . The photograph was taken in rural China during the 2nd World War ( It has been mis labeled as India ) . The brute dispatched by the service man ... Was not a royal Bengal tiger, but rather an Oriental tiger . These weigh a maximum of 400 pounds ( A full 100 pounds lighter , than our royal Bengal tigers ) .

As a side note ... I used to have countless of my American clients come to India for shikar ... With military surplus M1 Garand semi automatic rifles , chambered in .30-06 Springfield calibre . Loaded with 220 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point cartridges ... this weapon was an absolute beast of a tool , against royal Bengal tigers.

Multiple 220 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point bullets , quickly fired at a royal Bengal tiger’s vital organs could easily bring it down ( Most of my clients armed with these weapons , invariably had to give the royal Bengal tiger 3 - 4 shots ... In order to successfully dispatch it ) .

Using .30-06 Springfield calibre military ball ( 168 grain spitzer tipped solid metal covered cartridges) is ill advised against game animals ( Especially royal Bengal tigers ) . They have their place in the battle field , to be sure . However , a place in the shikar field ... They do not . They lack the ability to penetrate reliably in a straight line ( And in the case of soft skinned game animals ... They lack absolutely ANY expansion , whatsoever) . However, unfortunately during the 1960s ... Countless of my American clients used to bring .30-06 Springfield calibre military surplus cartridges to India , for shikar . These were quite widely available during the 1960s in America ... And for extremely reasonable costs . They used to be available in green plastic tins , and some of them had black tips ( These were “ AP “ or “ Armor Piercing “ cartridges ) . Countless of my American clients used to bring these , for their .30-06 Springfield calibre rifles ( No doubt , to save costs on sporting ammunition ) . Fortunately , today ... Modern sensibilities have made it imperative for all modern sports men to source proper sporting ammunition , for their rifles .

That said ... A few of my clients did have a moderate degree of success with them , by shooting the game animal repeatedly in the head . However , generally speaking ... When ever a client used to show up with a .30-06 Springfield calibre rifle and military surplus spitzer tipped cartridges ... I knew that our entire party would be in for a hellish shikar. Unfortunately ... Most of the time , I was correct in my prediction .

WebleyGreene455

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
@WebleyGreene455 and Master @Wyatt Smith , actually ... I have had the good fortune to take a look at that photograph , as well . The photograph was taken in rural China during the 2nd World War ( It has been mis labeled as India ) . The brute dispatched by the service man ... Was not a royal Bengal tiger, but rather an Oriental tiger . These weigh a maximum of 400 pounds ( A full 100 pounds lighter , than our royal Bengal tigers ) .

As a side note ... I used to have countless of my American clients come to India for shikar ... With military surplus M1 Garand semi automatic rifles , chambered in .30-06 Springfield calibre . Loaded with 220 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point cartridges ... this weapon was an absolute beast of a tool , against royal Bengal tigers.

Multiple 220 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point bullets , quickly fired at a royal Bengal tiger’s vital organs could easily bring it down ( Most of my clients armed with these weapons , invariably had to give the royal Bengal tiger 3 - 4 shots ... In order to successfully dispatch it ) .

Using .30-06 Springfield calibre military ball ( 168 grain spitzer tipped solid metal covered cartridges) is ill advised against game animals ( Especially royal Bengal tigers ) . They have their place in the battle field , to be sure . However , a place in the shikar field ... They do not . They lack the ability to penetrate reliably in a straight line ( And in the case of soft skinned game animals ... They lack absolutely ANY expansion , whatsoever) . However, unfortunately during the 1960s ... Countless of my American clients used to bring .30-06 Springfield calibre military surplus cartridges to India , for shikar . These were quite widely available during the 1960s in America ... And for extremely reasonable costs . They used to be available in green plastic tins , and some of them had black tips ( These were “ AP “ or “ Armor Piercing “ cartridges ) . Countless of my American clients used to bring these , for their .30-06 Springfield calibre rifles ( No doubt , to save costs on sporting ammunition ) . Fortunately , today ... Modern sensibilities have made it imperative for all modern sports men to source proper sporting ammunition , for their rifles .

That said ... A few of my clients did have a moderate degree of success with them , by shooting the game animal repeatedly in the head . However , generally speaking ... When ever a client used to show up with a .30-06 Springfield calibre rifle and military surplus spitzer tipped cartridges ... I knew that our entire party would be in for a hellish shikar. Unfortunately ... Most of the time , I was correct in my prediction .
Ah that would make much more sense, the soldier in question being in China rather than India. I had also wanted to ask if you'd had any clients use M1s or semi-autos in general, since I've noticed a ban on semi-automatic rifles for hunting in most African countries I've looked at and wondered if there were any rules to that effect in India. I guess that answers my question!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qingshiheng

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J