HookMeUpII

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, Georgia, RSA
I am extremely green as it comes to Africa hunting. I've been basically filling my spare time reading books like the "Perfect Shot II: African Game" and watching YouTube videos. Practicing at the range as well. Obviously reading the forum as well. I am going to be bringing a 300WM shooting Barnes TTSX 180gr. Trip will be in another month or so, May 2023.

My definite list: Impala, Blesbok, and Warthog.
My maybe list: Springbuck, Gemsbok, and Wildebeest

I plan on having a convo with the PH and making sure I am in line with my selection and not over my head. However, last night while watching a YouTube video, it made me really re-think even considering a Wildebeest. The woman in the video seemed to be an otherwise great shot. Downed several animals on the spot or a short track later. I don't know what she was shooting. Didn't look like a 375 but it definitely didn't seem sub-30 cal. Well, the 2 Wildebeests she shot:

Blue Wildebeest: Shot, gone, never recovered.
Golden Wildebeest: Shot, bolted, had to be recovered and then dispatched by the PH and another hunter the next day.

This sort of made me re-think even having them on my list of "possibles." I keep hearing over and over they are tough as nails and will give you a hell of a time if you don't hit them right in the boiler room. Additionally, it seems like Gemsbok come close to that reputation as well.

Obviously this is all opportunity driven but I really want to make sure I don't go seeking out something that is going to come with a high level of disappointment and regret when I pull the trigger.

I got both black and blue, one shot was enough to bring them down, they are no tougher than other PG, just have to shoot them in the right place.

By the way, I have seen a zebra take several shots with a .375HH before it went down, just sloppy shooting.

dont cross wildebeest off the list...

I havent seen the video... but there is clearly something wrong (insufficient caliber? poorly constructed bullet? poor shot placement?)... wildebeest are notoriously tough.. but they arent tanks.. Ive taken 3 and my wife has taken 2.. none have strayed far other than the one I took with a bow.. and that was on me (shot a little too far rear and broadhead likely not sharp enough).. we did recover that one too though..

For me, a blue wildebeest is one of my favorite PG hunts..

a 300 WM shooting a 180gr TTSX is PLENTY of gun.. 3 of the wildebeest listed above were taken with a 308 shooting 165gr TTSX at moderate speeds (about 2700 fps)..

I don't believe that either the blue wildebeest or gemsbok are any harder to kill than any other animal.

Make a bad shot and you are going to be in for a long day. Put the bullet where it is suppose to go and you'll have a dead animal, perhaps not a bang flop but they will go a very short distance.

YOUR FIRST SAFARI, WHAT A WONDERFUL TIME TO BE ALIVE! WE HAVE BLACK AND BLUE WILDEBEESTE AND ZEBRA ON THE WALL TAKEN WITH A 30-06. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, USE GOOD BULLETS AND HAVE FUN.

Don't cross off your list!

Black Wildebeest are a blast hunt, and Blue are an iconic African animal. Yes they are tough but not bullet proof. My son (age 13 at the time) took a Blue with one shot from a .243. I took and Blue and Black with a 338 federal.

Just go have fun and don't over think it!

Took my blue wildebeest with a 375H&H, 150 yards quartering towards me. Aimed through the chest at the far side shoulder. Second shot as it was running away was quartering away, through the ribs and into the off side shoulder. Both shots got the lungs. Ran 50 yards and done.

Keep it on the list. Do your practice. Enjoy the safari and don’t try to do too much hunting. Remember to stop and smell the roses along the way. After all, you will be going back.

I think the blue wildebeest has been called the poor man's buffalo on occasion. The are tough animals, they are not indestructible. My son killed his with a 300wm using a 180gr paragon at 3000fps. It was a one shot and done deal. He shot it, it ran in a 40 yards circle fell over tried to get up and collapsed. Of the 11 animals taken with that combo, the blue was the only one to capture the bullet.

I would not take it off the list, it is an iconic animal of Africa. Place the bullet and it will fold him up. Just remember they are not deer and you have to shoot them (African game) more forward than you are probably accustomed.

Do not take it off the list! 300 win mag with 180 Barnes will do the job. Took this one with a frontal shot. Went only 40 yards and was down stone cold dead. 300 win with Barnes. Shot placement is the key. Blue is one of the most fun animals for me to hunt. Plan on hunting some culls this year with 6.5 PRC. 156 Berger. It's all about shot placement.
IMG_3736.jpg

The blue wildebeest that I shot in SA was taken with one shot from my 30'06. The bullet was a 180gr Nosler partition and the shot was about 80-100 yds facing me so it was shot in the chest, ran about 75 yds and piled dead. Your 300WM will be plenty!
I got both black and blue, one shot was enough to bring them down, they are no tougher than other PG, just have to shoot them in the right place.

By the way, I have seen a zebra take several shots with a .375HH before it went down, just sloppy shooting.

I am extremely green as it comes to Africa hunting. I've been basically filling my spare time reading books like the "Perfect Shot II: African Game" and watching YouTube videos. Practicing at the range as well. Obviously reading the forum as well. I am going to be bringing a 300WM shooting Barnes TTSX 180gr. Trip will be in another month or so, May 2023.

I plan on having a convo with the PH and making sure I am in line with my selection and not over my head. However, last night while watching a YouTube video, it made me really re-think even considering a Wildebeest. The woman in the video seemed to be an otherwise great shot. Downed several animals on the spot or a short track later. I don't know what she was shooting. Didn't look like a 375 but it definitely didn't seem sub-30 cal. Well, the 2 Wildebeests she shot:

Golden Wildebeest: Shot, bolted, had to be recovered and then dispatched by the PH and another hunter the next day.

This sort of made me re-think even having them on my list of "possibles." I keep hearing over and over they are tough as nails and will give you a hell of a time if you don't hit them right in the boiler room. Additionally, it seems like Gemsbok come close to that reputation as well.

Obviously this is all opportunity driven but I really want to make sure I don't go seeking out something that is going to come with a high level of disappointment and regret when I pull the trigger.

You're asking a wonderful question. I think you're observing two phenomenon:

1.) In America, any bullet will do. In Africa, the bullet needs to be exceptional as they are tough animals in general. A swift A-frame or other very durable bullet reduces the long recovery woes.

2.) Shot placement. Continue studying the perfect shot because the biology of African animals is a lot different than where we think they should be shot. In general, for efficient cooling their organs are closer to the skin to deplete heat rather than retain it. On top of that, there are many families of animals with much diversity, not all Cervidae that are as closely related to our antlered species.

Regarding your animal list, I think they are all great. I would suggest you add Gemsbok and Springbok to your list because they are regionalized species. You may not get another attempt on them if you hunt somewhere else in Africa. Impala are delicious (a favorite of mine) but you will have many opportunities to kill impala in your life if you visit several African nations.

Like other have said, do not take it off the list, and like @Inline6 said, it is considered as the Poor Man Buffalo. It is so for a reason. It is a beautiful animal, and make great mounts. Mine took two shots from my 300 Weatherby using 180 grs Accubonds. First shot was in the front, and this thing ran, second shot was through the hind quarter as it was running away.

Here is mine.

BW.jpg

I disagree. I took my Black one with a 7 MM just fine. Shot placement is everything. Looking at your list I would do a Black Wildebeest (poor man’s buffalo) easily over a blesBok

Practice from the sticks until you have the ability and Especially the confidence to keep all shots within a 4" radius of POA. You will find your max distance. Include lots of low recoil practice (I have a 22 and 308 that go to the range every trip).

My BWB was a frontal chest shot, somewhat left of center, at last light - and was my worst shot of the hunt (30-06 180 gr AF). He needed a follow up, but did not go far.

Finding him was another story, but that's a different topic. :censored:

Pretty much what everyone else has said. I shot my Blue Wildebeest with a 30-'06 under a 100 yards, 200 grain Grand Slam on the shoulder. it went 60 yards and was stone dead.

I’m doing RSA in 2024 with a 270win or 308win , the outfitter says shot placement is key.
I am renting a 375 for zebra and wildebeest, buffalo , because I have doubts a 308win or 270 is enough for zebra

We are fortunate to have hunted many of them.
A good friend always say shoot the wildebeest low and in front. Rule number one, low and rather on than behind the front leg.
The spine of the blue wildebeest is just above the middle of the wildebeest on the front leg line. Any shots that would be a spine shot on a different antelope, for the wildebeest, is through the vertebrae spines and not through the spinal column. This often leads to a animal that drops on the spot only to jump up and run away when all the high fives are done. Got that tshirt aswell.
So second rule, if a wildebeest drops on the spot from a body shot, reload and shoot another shot if you can see it, if not take aim and wait for at least a few minutes in that position.
Third and most difficult to adhere to, try not to shoot it last light because you often need to track it a few hundred metres. If it gets dark it can make for a lost animal.

Enjoy the hunt. It is not a push over but worth it!

Ps
Never take a head shot.
Pps
If you really want to take a head shot, you have to shoot it above or at minimum eye line, anything slightly lower only leads to a mild case of sinusitis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois