Crocodile Rug

Huntforever

AH fanatic
Joined
Jul 13, 2022
Messages
742
Reaction score
1,826
Media
41
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Mex/S.Amer
2
I have a crocodile rug that is rotten and smells like death! I figure my only option is to throw it out.

Is there a way I can save the skull? I assume the original skull is in the rug?
 
That’s terrible, where was it mounted, in the US or Africa ?

Can you show a photo ?

Most of the time on Crocs the original skull is used, as it’s very tricky to get the skin off the skull, but in these times I bet a good modern Taxidermist cut cut off the head/skull & use a repo from a taxidermy supply house ?

Now sometimes if the original skull is used the taxidermist might chop off the back end to tie it into the form but as I’m thinking bad taxidermist here & most likely lazy you might be lucky & find a nice skull in there.

Most likely will have to soak in a tub for some days or weeks to get skin off, maybe a job for your local taxidermist ?
 
Africa a number of years back

No way to save the rug?

Yeah I could take it to a local guy.
 
Thanks for the link!!

I was wondering is it still possible to take the rest of the hide to get tanned?
 
Thanks for the link!!

I was wondering is it still possible to take the rest of the hide to get tanned?

I think it might help to know more detailed info about what is going on.

Was it not tanned in Africa?

Does the hide/rug itself smell, or just the head area?

If the hide is rotting as well, just cutting off the head isn't going to help.

On a crocodile and alligator, they have "scutes". Those are the bony plates on their back. Those are actually bones inside there between layers of flesh. Sometimes, those can be tricky to tan correctly. because it's a lot of sections of flesh that aren't really being opened up. So I wonder if that is also adding to the rotting issue.

Typically the skulls are preserved with the hide on, so there should be a head in there you could try and save. I don't know how hard it is to get the flesh off once it's been preserved. I'd love to know how it turns out though for future reference.
 
I was tanned in Africa but a small taxidermy shop that the outfitter owed. It was a horrible decision. I also have a nayala cape that was ruined as well.

I will look more into the smell and post my findings
 
That’s terrible, where was it mounted, in the US or Africa ?

Can you show a photo ?

Most of the time on Crocs the original skull is used, as it’s very tricky to get the skin off the skull, but in these times I bet a good modern Taxidermist cut cut off the head/skull & use a repo from a taxidermy supply house ?

Now sometimes if the original skull is used the taxidermist might chop off the back end to tie it into the form but as I’m thinking bad taxidermist here & most likely lazy you might be lucky & find a nice skull in there.

Most likely will have to soak in a tub for some days or weeks to get skin off, maybe a job for your local taxidermist ?
Baaaaarrrrrrfffff!
That's "Low Tide" smell, wherever you soak it! GL and keep our morbid curiosity up to speed, Brother!
 
I have a crocodile rug that is rotten and smells like death! I figure my only option is to throw it out.

Is there a way I can save the skull? I assume the original skull is in the rug?
I really don’t like seeing these posts. I feel for you. So many variables and another example why I did photos only. Not going to get bent over with shipping, storage fees and import money. I miss the hell out of having horns here, but the lack of headache and money spent quickly makes up for it.
To each their own of course.
 
I was tanned in Africa but a small taxidermy shop that the outfitter owed. It was a horrible decision. I also have a nayala cape that was ruined as well.

I will look more into the smell and post my findings

Any update on this? How's it going?
 
You need to sun dry it a lot till the smell goes away then whatever state it is will determine if it is usable. Africa has a of sun so that should help you.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,670
Members
169,813
Latest member
Yheikjhrya
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top