Crimping 404 Jeffery, options

roklok

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Joined
Dec 12, 2023
Messages
692
Reaction score
1,996
Media
11
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
1
I just received a Lee factory crimp die for 404 Jeffery. I was shocked that it was threaded 1.25 inch. I don't have a press that will work for this die. I already have two presses on my bench, seems a bit ridiculous to have to buy a different press just to crimp 404. I went on Lee's website and they don't offer a 404 7/8 inch crimp die, though on the custom crimp die page it looks like the 404 case dimensions would work in a 7/8s custom crimp die. Anybody just have a custom crimp die with a 7/8" body made by Lee for the 404 ? Anybody have any other ideas for crimping the 404 ? Here is the 404 Lee crimp die next to a 458 WM Lee crimp die.

404 crimp die.jpg
 
You might check to see if your press simply has reducer bushing from 1-1/4 to 7/8. My RCBS RockChucker does as does the Lee Classic (iirc). Easy to simply remove the bushing and install the larger die.
 
The things I do….
Well, I had to go over to the shed for something else…..it’s a 230 ish yard walk in the sun…
Anyway,


IMG_2640.jpeg

7/8 thread Lee crimping die for 404, fitted into a hornady quick change locking bushing, I bought it second hand from a friend who never used it
Gumpy
 
Wow, thanks. So they exist or did exist. Thanks !!
 
Wow, thanks. So they exist or did exist. Thanks !!
One of our members recently informed me that CH4D makes tapered crimp dies. I have not tried them as most of my seater dies for the big bores have a decent crimp so I just use a dedicated die with the seating stem removed for the last step. I have tied Lee Crimp dies and on some calibers especially with mono bullets they can be quite hard on the cases. On 577's the cases where breaking off after about two firings right at the bottom of the crimp. I need to call and see if they have a taper crimp for it available.
 
You might check to see if your press simply has reducer bushing from 1-1/4 to 7/8. My RCBS RockChucker does as does the Lee Classic (iirc). Easy to simply remove the bushing and install the larger die.
Appreciate it, but no my presses dont have that feature. I have a RCBS partner press that I started handloading with in 1992, and a Forstner CoAx press, neither of which will accept 1.25 inch dies.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,293
Messages
1,571,844
Members
169,429
Latest member
AnnaDonagh
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top