Crimp for 375 H&H

I crimp for 300 win mag up, and do not crimp any of the lessor recoiling rounds. My Redding bushing dies provide plenty of neck tension, but I crimp the bigger recoiling rounds for piece of mind (I have seen loads from a very experienced loader set back on 338 mag during a bear hunt).

Only use the Lee FCD to do the crimping on bottlenose loads. I have tried the rest and they are crappy and inconsistent. Use a light crimp, where the crimp is barely visible, and you are set. Be mindful that a crimp usually increases pressure and MV, so start with milder loads when working with a crimp. I also wipe the edge of the case where it meets the bullet to remove any small shavings that may be present from seating the bullet; this will provide a very consistent surface for the crimp die to work on.

Living in California, I have been loading and using Barnes bullets for many years (because of the lead ban). There are several tricks to getting them to shoot perfectly, and I have grown to prefer them over any lead bullets.

Ironically, to achieve the proper bullet jump, all of my TSX/TTSX/LRX loads seem to be seated just bellow the first groove from the top. You ABSOLUTELY can crimp anywhere you want on a Barnes copper bullet, they state this in all of their literature. The grooves on the Barnes bullets are NOT cannelures, and in fact are almost too large to be utilized as one unless you crimp very aggressively (which will cause other problems). The grooves on the Barnes are so large because they are actually designed as "friction reducers" rather than cannelures, in order to make these long bullets function better and foul barrels less.

Just set your OAL to ogive where your rifle like it, them experiment with a light FCD crimp. Don't worry about where the grooves end up.

I have noticed what looks like Carbon/powder Residue/soot whatever you want to call it on some of my cases and wonder if I'm losing some energy and wonder if a light crimp may cure that regardless if it has a cannelure or not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettS67

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair