roverandbrew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
I am looking to either pick up or build a CRF 7x57 mm rifle. The lightly used CZ 550 in 7x57 in a local gun shop sold while I was deployed on my last trip for $450! I kick myself for not sending the wife to pick it up. The rifle I’m looking for will be used for hunting and am not looking for a safe queen. In your opinion do I continue to look for a used production rifle or purchase a surplus rifle action and do a budget build. By budget I’m looking $800 or below. If so what action do you recommend? I do own a CZ 550 in .243 (detachable magazine fed) that has only been shot a dozen times I would be willing to re-chamber if that makes sense. I appreciate the advice.

Zastava manufactures an excellent 7x57 mm Mauser calibre variant of their Model 70 control round feed platform bolt rifles .

Voere manufactures an excellent 7x56 mm Mauser calibre bolt rifle ( with a option to choose a 5 cartridge detachable magazine ) .
My friend and fellow forum member , @Kawshik Rahman owns a beautiful pre 75 BRNO ZKK 600 chambered in 7x57 mm Mauser . However , these are no longer manufactured .
IMG_20200103_001444.jpg

You can either purchase a new Zastava Model 70 or a Voere rifle .
If you find a 2nd hand BRNO ZKK 600 chambered in 7x57 mm Mauser calibre ... then do not let it escape .

If you can find a BRNO ZKK 600 action ...
then that is what I would highly recommend for building your 7x57 mm Mauser calibre rifle on .
You could also have 1 built on a control round feed Winchester Model 70 action.

All the best .

I’m going down that road right now. If you’re not looking to do any significant stock work, or have a desire for a custom barrel contour, I would try to find a post 64 model 70 with the “classic” CRF action. If you rebarrel to the same barrel contour, you should keep your costs down.

I’m upgrading a stock, getting the action trued, and bluing the gun, which adds a bit more cost.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.26.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.26.21 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.26.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.26.25 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.26.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.26.26 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
Are you in any particular hurry? If not, just keep on looking. Unless you are capable of doing most of the "project rifle" work yourself that route could wind up costing more than you want to dish out.

Are you in any particular hurry? If not, just keep on looking. Unless you are capable of doing most of the "project rifle" work yourself that route could wind up costing more than you want to dish out.

I am not in a hurry. I am also not capable of doing any of the true machine work myself. I agree on a tendency for builds to get out of hand. I have a Land Rover defender in my driveway that’s proof of that. I think it’s called ship fitters disease. A motor swap led to a full restoration. I just retired from the Army after 25 years and coupled with the Coronavirus quarantine am looking for projects to occupy my time that I just recently found. My wife will either kill me for pestering her as I now have more time on my hands or kill me for spending money to occupy my time.

I agree with @Shootist43 on the GB rifle you are looking at.
It's more than just a little rough, you can easily do much better.
Check out this Ruger.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865361059

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.02.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.02.40 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.02.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.02.41 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.02.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.02.43 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
I would highly recommend having your 7x57 millimeter Mauser built on a Springfield Model 1903 Receiver. It is a strong , robust receiver to build a reliable rifle on .
C46EA1B9-E21E-4AAB-AC99-CA2FEE5B43DC.png

I had an American master custom rifle maker ( Mr. Jim Zahm of Oregon, USA ) build me a custom 7 millimeter Remington Magnum in 1976 on a Springfield Model 1903 receiver , with a classic stock of Turkish walnut and a Douglas barrel. In the last 44 years , it has never once let me down .

If that was a 24” CZ 550 for $450, it was a steal! I found one NITB on Gunbroker several years ago and think it was around $850 . They only made 200 or so of those in the 550 American and have only seen two come up on GB in the last six years or so. I also have a Ruger Hawkeye African 275 Rigby but you won’t find one of those under 1k used unless you’re really lucky. Good luck with the build.

There are a few of us on here who picked up limited run M70 crf’s over the past couple of years. These are a little over your stated price range but are absolutely stellar rifles. There tweener as respect to grade with some super grade and some std grade features. If you can find one you will not be disappointed and I’ll bet you a beer that it will cost less than the build you are contemplating.

There are a few of us on here who picked up limited run M70 crf’s over the past couple of years. These are a little over your stated price range but are absolutely stellar rifles. There tweener as respect to grade with some super grade and some std grade features. If you can find one you will not be disappointed and I’ll bet you a beer that it will cost less than the build you are contemplating.
I own one of 2 M70’s in 7x57 here in South Africa, beautiful rifles and i am in agreement with you to try pick one of them up in the US.

I also own a CZ550 in 7x57 that i also am very fond of.

Beautiful rifle @Panther Shooter , I love the rear aperture sight.
Wyatt Smith
Thank you ! I find that there are several relatively obscure custom rifle makers in America who can actually turn out some pretty marvelous rifles , according to their customer’s specifications with 100 percent satisfactory results . I personally prefer the rear aperture sight over telescopic sights for my general Chital Deer hunting in Nijhom Deap ( where careful stalking and close up shooting are considered to be the standard practice) .

I would look for a win. Fwt model 70 post 64 gun, beautifull litte schnable forend fwt gun.
A Ruger fwt. or a Brno mod 21 but the Brnos used bring $1000 to $1500 depending on condition,,I picked up one for $900, slightly rough but it shoots fantastic..and Im a hunter, no use for closet queens..My all time favorite 7x57 is my RJ REmmer Ruger he redid for someone it has a schnable, forend, panal sides, iron sights and light as a feather with my 2.5 Leupold Alaskan in QD rings..7 lbs. of pure joy..

I agree that post 1964 Winchester Mod 70 Classic (CRF) version would serve you well. I have a LH Win M70 CRF in 7X57, a very practical hunting rifle. The Ruger 77 mark II would also be a good choice and within your budget.

Do you live in the States

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg