COVID vaccination required by Safari Company or not, your suggestion

I would. I suspect, as suggested above, that the issue is going to be resolved as more and more jurisdictions/activities (commercial air travel?) require vaccination. NYC is a good example of what the future may hold.

No I would not. Do research on the shot it’s not a vaccine

No I would not, It’s not a vaccine, research mRNA and see how this works.

The J&J vaccine gives you an option that isn't mRNA.

Hi Die Jäger,

Possibly you should re-read my original posting. I never stated that a company should or should not vaccinate or require vaccination for employees or clients. I have not made a decision based on monetary gains or losses. I simply asked if member advocated or rejected ANY companies requirements on Covid vaccination.

Speaking of financial gains or losses. At the moment we as a company are taking care of the medical costs of a "friend of our companies wife" who has sever Covid". It is costing us about $300.00 a day, with an initial cost that ran several thousand dollars to keep her alive. Medical here is not a socialized system nor is it modern or adequate. We have to take care of our selves, and the people that we care about including our staff.

As a reputable safari company we strive to offer safety in all of our endeavors. If that means asks for wealth of knowledge that is on this forum to help make informed decisions, so be it.

Lon
Hi Lon, I think my English is the cause of my/your misunderstanding. I understood you the first time. And I my reactions to your post trying to show that I understand the dilemmas that you as as business have. If I should come over otherwise than the fault is all on me.

A business that requires a vaccination would be not the first I would consider but also not as definitive deal breaker. I hopes that answers your question. But if another company delivers the same without the requirements I would go for that company.

Last point I think a lot of business should not be in this position. Government policies seem to drive businesses into this direction. And that is concerning to me.

Wish you a lot of wisdom regarding your upcoming decision.

@Tokoloshe Safaris
I think that this is a good thread you started. I also feel it is a way to get a good feel of opinions on what you are asking here in the hunting community.
I think it has the potential to be a heated discussion, if you will, buy hopefully you can weed through and get some of the opinions you are looking for.
We can not see expressions or hear tone when discussing things in this manner and often times, things are mis-understood or not read fully.
Everyone should do what is the right decision for them whether it be choosing a shot required outfit or not...same as taking a covid shot or not.
To each their own. :)

@Tokoloshe Safaris to answer your original question, yes I would hunt at a place that requires vaccinations.

I have lived and worked outside of the US for a total of about 15 years, over the course of my 40 year career in the oil industry. Every single country I worked in or traveled to had shot requirements. The media is playing up the term "Vaccine Passport" to get into a restaurant, bar or whatever. The yellow shot record booklet has been around forever. When I worked in Angola, they checked everyone's shot record upon entering the country. I had to get seven shots, during my pre-assignment medical exam in the US, prior to going to Angola. If you didn't have the required shots, you had two options: Get a shot from some quack at the airport or get a plane and leave the country.

I would. I know 5 people that have died from this virus. If you are trying to protect yourself and your staff then that’s great. Do not let people who object to a simple vaccine put you or your people in danger. You will find that many people are ok with it and some aren’t but you have to keep the safety of your people in mind no matter the opinion of others. So simply put do what you feel is right by your people.

This. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem

Last edited:
@Tokoloshe Safaris From what I can see for any company dealing with the public and possible medical and legal ramifications, count me as being on board with required shots. Like the Godfather said "It's not personal, just business".

I would. I know 5 people that have died from this virus. If you are trying to protect yourself and your staff then that’s great. Do not let people who object to a simple vaccine put you or your people in danger. You will find that many people are ok with it and some aren’t but you have to keep the safety of your people in mind no matter the opinion of others. So simply put do what you feel is right by your people.
Thriller,

Thank you for your input. As you must know HIV and TB are major killers in our part of Africa, it does not take much to bring these people closer to their maker.

This is what brought this discussion about. Yesterday we took a client back to the falls. We had several hours and a few beers that needed killing. Since by trade this gentleman is a "747" pilot who spends his life traveling the world, he gave me his outlook on world travel. Covid occupied a portion of the time and beers. He talked about the difficulties with the different covid testing and rules in different countries. He expressed how his life would be much easier if the world was living with one set of rules. I listened to what he had to say, this led me to asking the forum as to how they felt on the matter.

Lon

@Tokoloshe Safaris From what I can see for any company dealing with the public and possible medical and legal ramifications, count me as being on board with required shots. Like the Godfather said "It's not personal, just business".
Hi Hogpatrol,

Thank you for your opinion and quote!

No problem with all vaccinated, but when I was in South Africa in May and June none of the ph’s or staff said they were willing to take the vaccine. My wife and I were fully vaccinated with no side effects so far and that was about 5 months ago.

It may be a mute point. Onformer govt official floated the idea of putting us unvaccinated on the no fly list.

Your only clients may all he vaccinated.

I will not be getting the shot, so therefore would not select an outfitter who required it, obviously.

28 hours till wheels up on what might be my last safari!

Trigger Warning! Post may offend anti-vaxxers

I would far prefer to hunt with a company that requires it. I wouldn’t want to share camp with someone that cares so little about his fellow man that he refuses a vaccine just to make the point that “you can’t make me”.

I’m all for freedom of choice. I choose to associate with people who accept science and care about others. By science, I mean peer-reviewed science, not YouTube videos, blogs, or the rantings of “experts” who think the vaccine is the mark of the beast and/or will allow bill gates to control you by turning your body into a 5G antenna. And I wish I were making that up as a rhetorical device.

Last edited:
I would. I suspect, as suggested above, that the issue is going to be resolved as more and more jurisdictions/activities (commercial air travel?) require vaccination. NYC is a good example of what the future may hold.
I think you’re correct and the vaccine will soon become a requirement for most international travel anyways

Would you hunt with a Safari Company that required Covid vaccination for all hunters and staff?

After my wife and I having a bad case of Covid we had our entire staff to have Covid Vaccinations. Here is my question, should Safari Companies require all visiting hunters to have had full vaccination for Covid? Believe me I believe in personal rights as much as anyone, but I am asking for everyones opinion.

As the owner of the company, you can definitely require your staff to be vaccinated. Your house, your rules. Now, to require them from visiting hunters is something else. Either way you choose you will find people rejoicing your choice and decrying it.

However, as far as I understand, the vaccine protects oneself only. It does not stop transmission, you can still get Covid, you are just much less likely to need intensive medical care. With this in mind the question on requiring visiting hunters to be vaccinated does change a little.

Whether a visitor is vaccinated or not, will only matter for the visitor. For those around him, already vaccinated, their risk has lowered. So the question transforms from "I need to protect my staff and my business from covid" to "I need to avoid having a customer falling sick from covid while on my property" because apart from the reputational risk, it could still invite government agents to shut down your business, or you simply want to avoid the hassle of managing a sick client. Either way it becomes less a question of health, but purely one of money and business. Which is entirely legitimate of course.

I am vaccinated, but not entirely by choice. It is because I want to be able to travel, visit restaurants, etc. so I have no choice but getting my two (and more) shots. For anyone wanting to travel, mark my words, vaccination will be required by the airlines or upon border crossing, long before a hunting outfitter will need to think about requiring it.

So in your case, I would not require it. Give it a few more months and anyone entering the country to enjoy your services, will have no choice but to be vaccinated.

Yes. I've had enough shots / vaccines / etc. over the years to not worry about having one more. I'm fully vaccinated and all of my friends and family are as well.

I almost forgot. We had a missionary who stayed at our lodge for a couple of days. Last night at dinner we were talking about Covid. He said that he flew into Uganda several months ago. When deplaning all passengers were separated vaccinated against non vaccinated. Those that were not had to take a covid test, they were led into a small room. If I remember correctly he said they arrived early in the day and he got his results just before midnight. Then they could leave the terminal.

He said he was vaccinated upon return to his home in South Africa.

Anybody see the old movie "Raid on Entebbe"? It would make me nervous!

Just as an add on. I believe the calculation of risk is the probability of an event occurring times the impact / cost if the event occurs. I said to many in my circle last year if I were an owner in the travel business I would require all staff, suppliers and customers to be vaccinated to reduce the risk of an outbreak which could significantly affect my business operations.

@Tokoloshe Safaris Lon, Somewhat OT, but in my area there are restaurants requiring their sit-in patrons to be vaccinated. It's the same outcome though, some are buying gift cards and others are sending hate mail. One owner stated that he couldn't afford another lockdown and had twenty emplyees that depended on him being open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErrolKish0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.