Convince Me I Am Wrong

That's a myth. People talk about it all the time as a possibility, and that is all it is. With the volume of international travel, the odds of your particular luggage not making it are about the same as your plane going down more or less.

I take on an average of four (well used to, canceled two so far ,two more coming up) international trips a year. Have yet to get any luggage lost since I was 15 (when I started traveling alone internationally). Once in Turkey, a few years ago, my Tuffpak got put on a later domestic transfer flight and arrived a few hours later. Not a big deal. That was the only glitch.

Mostly I use wildcat cartridges, I don't sweat the rare possibility that my luggage with ammo won't make it. The firearms have a higher chance of getting stolen.

Now, I do take precautions and try not to do flight transfers in places I don't trust (for example no stopovers ever in Italy). My luggage is also sturdy so it is not going to get ripped up by the luggage systems.

Funny, you’ll never meet a more risk conscious person than me. I measure risk and mitigate it for a living and I spend 100-300 hours preparing for risk contingency plans on my trips. Nonetheless, the scenario you say is unlikely has happened to me twice in the past six trips!

A 450/400 double is an entirely adequate choice for buffalo. If that is the gun that speaks to you and will bring you the most joy on your hunt, then it is the best for you.

Last edited:
It is all about how accurate the rifle is and more importantly, how accurately you can shoot it. As a client, you have exactly one responsibility that actually matters. Put the first shot at a buffalo exactly where it will do the most good - not generally - exactly. For the vast majority of first time buffalo hunters, the best option to accomplish that critical task is not with an open-sighted double of any persuasion.

My previous post notwithstanding, I tend to agree with the above. A properly-scoped bolt gun will give you the best tool for putting that critical first bullet in the right spot. (well, I suppose a properly-scoped Ruger #1 would do it just as well, but that gets into another set of issues) Putting the first bullet into the right spot is THE job of the client.

If your eyes are up to it and your gun is up to it and you know your limitations with the double and are willing to forgo shots that aren't within your parameters, it will work just fine. That may well be exactly the experience you are looking for. But Red Leg is absolutely correct that there are other choices that will allow you to do your job easier and under a broader set of conditions than would any open-sighted double rifle.

It is all about how accurate the rifle is and more importantly, how accurately you can shoot it. As a client, you have exactly one responsibility that actually matters. Put the first shot at a buffalo exactly where it will do the most good - not generally - exactly. For the vast majority of first time buffalo hunters, the best option to accomplish that critical task is not with an open-sighted double of any persuasion.

What he said.....

A scoped 450/400, 500/416 or 375 Flanged Magnum with QD mounts make a lot of sense if choosing a double.....

Very few visiting hunters are competent with a double rifle and even less with open sights.....they simple do not prepare properly before the hunt.....

It is often a one shot affair with an as long as there is lead in the air there is hope scenario after that and man when it is reload time......

Beautiful rifles and a true Africa feel these doubles give but practice practice practice or rather bring a scoped bolt action.....

What he said.....

A scoped 450/400, 500/416 or 375 Flanged Magnum with QD mounts make a lot of sense if choosing a double.....

Beautiful rifles and a true Africa feel these doubles give but practice practice practice or rather bring a scoped bolt action.....

I think it is a sacrilege to put a scope on a big bore double rifle not specifically designed for it. I'd recommend a red dot if you must have an optic for DG.

And I will also submit that scoped rifles require just as much practice as a double rifle. Having a scope is not going to make one a marksman. Many people with scoped rifles have missed that first crucial shot.

Especially Weatherby owners from what I hear on another thread. ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think it is a sacrilege to put a scope on a big bore double rifle not specifically designed for it. I'd recommend a red dot if you must have an optic for DG.

And I will also submit that scoped rifles require just as much practice as a double rifle. Having a scope is not going to make one a marksman. Many people with scoped rifles have missed that first crucial shot.

Especially Weatherby owners from what I hear on another thread. ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Many double rifles are built to accommodate scopes in the medium bores.

It is not only about a scope it is rather the inability or incompetence to be able to handle a double rifle....although most shoot better with a scope....

Bolt or double scoped or not I ques if they cannot shoot they cannot.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvividconsultant

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross