Continued Contact with Professional Hunter

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by BJONES, Dec 27, 2017.

1. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    You been talking to Simon? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    siml and sierraone like this.

2. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Among others :E Big Grin:

siml likes this.

3. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    Free world, free market, but a PH should never try and solicit business from an outfitters client while on safari. A PH has inside information on an outfitters business, prices etc and easy to under cut. Outfitter has gone to the cost of getting the client.

Yes, I have heard the point, if I treated the client right, he will keep coming back, but often it's to do with the price and people will book where they can save money.

I have never stopped one of my ph's staying in contact with a client.

Going back to the OP original post, maybe the outfitter was just tired of hearing the PH was trying to "steal" clients, who knows.

Timbo, ROCKET and cem rona ergin like this.

4. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    It would be a huge turn off to me if someone told me I couldn’t contact my ph that I just spent a week or better with. Some of my best friends in the world are people that have have hunted with as a client or were my clients.
    Seems to me if a particular ph was such a problem that this “rule” needed to be imposed that the ph needs to kick rocks and find another one. I think it’s horrible business practice to tell a client they can’t further communicate with someone they have just become friends with and shared the bond of hunting with.

Hogpatrol, ActionBob and SafariA like this.

5. buck wild

buck wild SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Brush Country Chapter
    Hunted:
    Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong as an Outfitter as I do think it's a big problem with PHs attempting to lure clients over to something else the PH has access to. Of the 3 times I have been over, on two occasions a PH contacted me later to solicit me to hunt with them on their own properties. I haven't taken them up but agree with TMS that often clients leave to go with the cheaper price regardless of how well the original Outfitter treated them.

siml likes this.

6. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    From the outfitter's perspective, he has spent perhaps a great of money to develop a client, so would be unhappy of a contract PH were to try to steal the client. I get that - understandable and fair enough. But the solution is not to try to control who the client can communicate with. It's to let the outfitter community in the relevant country know that this is a PH who tries to steal clients. That would likely be a career limiting move for any contract PH.

I have developed long term relationships with two of the PHs I have hunted with, and they book my hunts where they know I will get the type of hunting I want. It works better for me than to try to guess which outfitter will be best and then deal with a new PH.

7. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    I would think that if a free lance ph developed a reputation for stealing or trying to steal clients, at some point in his working career, he'd be looking for another line of work.
    As far as trying to prevent a hunter from communicating with a PH, considering facebook, whatsap, linkedin, email, blogs, and other forms of contact, I'd classify that outfitter as terminally stupid.

jeff, salesman, sierraone and 2 others like this.

8. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    An outfitter preventing communication with a PH ? In todays world, this guy must be joking,.

I have the phone numbers of those PH´s I want to be in contact with.

And yes, on the other hand, trying to steal clients from your employer is not very ethical.

salesman and Hogpatrol like this.

9. siml

siml AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
    @spike.t, would like to hear your opinion. o_O

K-man likes this.

10. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    Well we like our PH to have full interaction with our client.....as @patsyzambia and @bluey can confirm...... :whistle:.....:E Rofl:

Pheroze, ROCKET, K-man and 5 others like this.

11. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Maybe you will start a new trend in the industry.

sierraone likes this.

12. Odinsraven

Odinsraven AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
    Hunted:
    UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
    Have had an outfitter ranch ... try to pinch my clients ......that was funny I booked them with a different lodge the next year he was on the email to them .....

But on the whole I stay in touch with everyone ..... and never had an issue actually emailed a lodge to get a Ph's email to wish him a happy Christmas .........have hunted with a young PH when he got his own consession spoke to the lodge and said do you mind if I hunt with him ....there was not a problem

13. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Well that certainly takes "staying in contact" with your PH to a whole new level...

Ragman, Mekaniks and Royal27 like this.

14. Mekaniks

Mekaniks GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
    I have only been to SA once so I am far from an expert on this subject but here is my 2c anyway...

In the world of freelance PH's, where a PH may only sign on for only one hunt or maybe one season, and the reality of the Outfitter business needs to have repeat clientele to survive, I can see where there would be potential for some real heartburn if PH's poach their previous Employers clients behind that Outfitters back.

In today's world of instant communication there is realistically no way for anyone to prevent two people who want to communicate from doing so. And I think foolish to even attempt, potentially leaving a bad taste for everyone involved.

At the end of the day the PH and the Outfitter are all in the same same business and we as hunters are their customers. And as
    long as there is open, honest, communication between everyone involved it will work.
    But, if the Outfitter attempts to somehow restrict that communication, or a PH attempts to poach customers, or even a hunter attempts to poach a PH, it has all the potential for a least hard feelings and probebly the end of business relationships.

With all of that said, if I was planning to go back on another hunt with a PH that I hunted with before, separate from the Outfitter I used before, I would be in contact with that Outfitter well in advance to let him know what we are up too. I may even want to stop by and have a beer with him if possible.....Heck it's really just sport hunting and supposed to be fun for everyone involved. I still may want to hunt with that Outfitter again someday and have a good time. As the paying customer there is no sense in building bridges just to burn them behind me, I may want to use them again....

Hank2211 likes this.

15. Kowas Hunting Safaris

Kowas Hunting Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAPHA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
    This is indeed a great thread. Thank you to all taking the time to share and air your views. It is many times unknown how others conduct their business and what their policy's are - surely interesting.
    There is no replacement for ethics, professionalism and good services. Open communication is essential to allow the right hand know what the left hand is doing. You are together in it as a team with the main aim of reaching a mutual goal and to deliver a service. At the end of the day, it is the choice of the client with whom he/she wants to keep contact and where he/she want to hunt.
    With the technology today, it is almost impossible not to "trace" someone.

Timbo and Hogpatrol like this.