Considering a Browning A5

I have used my o/u on geese and ducks. I really never felt disadvantaged by the 2 3/4" chamber nor the 2 shot limit. It was very accurate. It is heavy and doesn't kick but I stopped enjoying handling it in hunting situations. Also, getting ammunition for it is a drag.

I never thought I would switch to a semi-auto but here I am [emoji3
May your decoy spread draw many birds and your new scattergun be true no matter the action type or brand! :D Cheers:

I've posted already, but will post again in slight disagreement with @HookMeUpII ... my Maxus and new A5 are 100% equal to (or in my opinion better) the other B's, Benelli and Beretta. Maxus is gas, A5 is inertia driven so you have options for either style if you have a preference. I've hunted with both of mine in 100+ degree heat with low brass Dove loads, in below 0 duck/goose blinds and fields using standard and magnum steel loads, and everything in between. They've been used heavily in blowing, dusty winds, sleet, rain, sunshine, snow, and every type of terrain and weather. Both have well over 10,000 hunting and target rounds through them and counting. The only times I've ever had a hang-up or FTFs (with a reasonably clean gun) are when using light target loads - as long as I feed standard target loads of 1 1/8 oz shot and 1145+ fps speed or better, they keep shooting. I've seen all three brands, my own included, fail when run hard and not properly cleaned/maintained at a reasonable level; but a simple wipe down of the bolt and receiver and a little dab of Rem Oil gets them all back on track.

As with any product out there, you can find dozens of examples of all brands having one issue or another. One can easily search the internet for issues with all 3 brands noted here, and no one is better nor worse than the others. On the whole, they are all great guns. I will not say that you shouldn't buy a Beretta or Benelli if you have a preference to one of those over Browning for fit/feel or some specific feature. But I will absolutely encourage giving Browning's options a good look because I can attest to the phenomenal performance I've experienced with my own purchases.

My best advise is to go handle all of them and pick the one that fits you best.

Absolutely no ill-will towards your disagreement. The waterfowl heritage here in NJ is storied (yes, hard to believe). It's a religion here for waterfowlers and waterman and shotgun preferences are deep-rooted. One thing I will say, problems usually occur when guns are not cleaned/maintained, misused, or the user doesn't understand the operation of the firearm.

My uncle and cousin whom I am close with (they introduced me to hunting) are Browning to the core. Citori's, Gold/Silvers, and we actually just all bought matching X-Bolts. My uncle shoots an older Gold auto and I've always loved the gun. However, early last season on a field goose hunt. His gun wouldn't feed. His motto (along with my cousin's) was always "Clean it? I just shoot it clean." Well, that is probably the issue behind a lot of internet posts claiming they have a problem.

My A300 gets a bore snake after every hunt. Every 2-3 hunts it gets the bolt/carrier pulled from the gun along with the barrel and cleaned. Half way through the season everything gets disassembled. End of the season, full disassembly and the gas piston gets de-carbed and she's put away until September. The only issue I've ever had was the safety getting stuck off because some dried marsh mud from my hands got wedged in the safety plunger detent ball. Couple sprays of cleaner, followed with a dab of SLP oil, not a problem since.

With all that maintenance and cleaning...she always goes boom. Goes without saying, treat your equipment right and it will treat you right.

Absolutely no ill-will towards your disagreement.

That's one of the refreshing and best features of this site. Many will disagree, but it's generally in respectful terms.

You summed it up perfectly at the end. Take care of equipment and it will take care of you.

I am a huge fan of the "hump back" guns,growing up using an old Remington Model 11 (A5 clone). I now own two of the new A5s, one each in 12 and 16 gauge. I have the 3.5" chamber 12 and it is my go-to choice for all purpose shooting. It handles everything from target loads to the big magnum shells, and is great when I go on trips where I may shoot any/all combinations of: targets, dove, upland birds, ducks, geese, turkey, or even buckshot at coyotes. 3" will do the same thing given the range of shells (generally) available and interchangeable choke systems.

The only issue I've had with mine, and it's due to the 3.5" chamber and springs, is it does not always like the lightweight target loads. As long as I use 1 1/8 oz loads at 1150+ fps, I've never had an issue or FTF.

I can't say enough good things about my experiences with the new A5s. I highly recommend them to anyone, and Browning has long been known for their outstanding lineup of Firearms. They have also been phenomenal with customer service in the past (had an issue with the Maxus dura-touch stocks you can easily search online), and I will continue to buy their products without reservation.
@Tbitty
If the new A5s are like the old ones to cure your problem with light loads you have to pull the forend off and readjust the spring and brass rings. I forget the order but that what you had to do with the old A5s when changing from light to normal or vicky verka.
Bob.

@Tbitty
If the new A5s are like the old ones to cure your problem with light loads you have to pull the forend off and readjust the spring and brass rings. I forget the order but that what you had to do with the old A5s when changing from light to normal or vicky verka.
Bob.

One other thing I'd like to add: I think OP might be better off with a gas-gun vs inertia for versatility of shooting different loads. Gas seems to be a little more forgiving in cycling smaller loads like 2 3/4" game/target loads.

One other thing I'd like to add: I think OP might be better off with a gas-gun vs inertia for versatility of shooting different loads. Gas seems to be a little more forgiving in cycling smaller loads like 2 3/4" game/target loads.
I've debated going with an inertia gun before, but the gas just seem to be more dependable with a wide range of loads.

As far as the old recoil operated A5, I have the one my father bought new around 1962, but I've never been a big fan of them. They were about the only dependable automatic when they first came out, but the humpback design just never felt natural to me.

He's also accept pay from some gun companies, so he's opinions aren't always the most honest.

I didn't read the article until you actually mentioned it. There are literally 2 guns on that list I actually agree with him. The M2 and the older Browning. Retay...maybe...little too "unestablished" for my liking.

I agree with you. Seeing his mentions on there, I wonder if money was accepted.

Then again, auto shotgun preferences among wingshooters are deep rooted.

I shot my Browning Superposed on Bay ducks for many years. With proper care it did OK - except an O/U is really a poor tool for shooting from the confinement of a blind or small boat because the deep drop on the barrels make it a pain to reload. I went to a Model 21 Winchester (SxS) and liked it much better... easy to load in the boat or blind. Shot a lot of cans, sprig, mallard, widgeon, and bluebills over my mixed pread of divers and puddle duck decoys. I pretty much gave up waterfowling when my last Lab died.

Only one question in my opinion. Does it fit you? If it does that’s all that matters with a shotgun

I bought one of the new Browning A5s a few years ago, and I've been very pleased with it. It cycles everything I've ever put into it, from heavy goose loads to buckshot to very light field loads, with no adjustment. Being inertia operated, it kicks a bit more than a gas operated gun with heavy loads, but I'm usually wearing heavy clothes when I'm shooting heavy goose loads anyway, so no big deal. Browning has the best guarantee on the market, and the gun is lightweight and (in my experience) 100% reliable. I bought it because it just "points" better and faster than any other gun I've picked up in a long time.

Ya, well, I kinda lost my sense of balance - bought an A5 Ultimate with beautiful wood. Totally paid twice as much as I intended to. Now I am weathering the periodic glares of disapproval from my wife. (Fully justified I might add) Fortunately, I am moving through the guilt I felt pretty quickly. :Shamefullyembarrased:

@Tbitty
Bob.
Bob,
With the newer A5s you don't have to. When growing up, I hunted with a man that had two older ('60s) A5s. He had to turn a screw to adjust between dove and waterfowl loads. With my Remington 1100, I could shoot everything without any adjustments.
CEH

I ditched my Remington 11-87 12ga. (8.2lbs) for a 12ga Remington V3 (7.2lbs). Big difference when walking pheasant fields all day.

Only one question in my opinion. Does it fit you? If it does that’s all that matters with a shotgun

For OU's, yes.

Like I said, I waterfowl hunt 20-25x a year. I have heard all manners of crazy stories with autos. I recently met a guide from Arkansas who was doing some guiding for a hunt I was on in NJ for snow geese. In asking him about his gun, he said it was a Winchester SX4. I asked him how he likes it and he said he loved it, but couldn't get the barrel off any longer. Known issue with the SX3 and SX4, the barrels get seized into the receivers. That's a big problem in my logic. Brand new guns too.

For me, if it fails me in the field, it's no use to me. I've met so many guys who said "Boy the gun fit me great but it wouldn't cycle, jammed, FTF, etc."

Best of luck to OP with his Browning. Enjoy it! Keep her clean and I'm sure it will treat you right.

For OU's, yes.

Like I said, I waterfowl hunt 20-25x a year. I have heard all manners of crazy stories with autos. I recently met a guide from Arkansas who was doing some guiding for a hunt I was on in NJ for snow geese. In asking him about his gun, he said it was a Winchester SX4. I asked him how he likes it and he said he loved it, but couldn't get the barrel off any longer. Known issue with the SX3 and SX4, the barrels get seized into the receivers. That's a big problem in my logic. Brand new guns too.

For me, if it fails me in the field, it's no use to me. I've met so many guys who said "Boy the gun fit me great but it wouldn't cycle, jammed, FTF, etc."

Best of luck to OP with his Browning. Enjoy it! Keep her clean and I'm sure it will treat you right.
It also doesn't matter if it shoots if you can't hit anything with it because it does not fit you...... but I am going to let the OP decide what he wants and works for him.

I was interested in the inertia system as an alternative to a gas one. I did consider a Benelli (A fellow we hunted with once had one) especially as the Browning system seems to be based on the Benelli one. I like Browing as a company. The advice here was very helpful. Ultimately, it came down to minor differences. Cosmetics played a role for sure in the end. I have hunted geese a lot but I am now very interested in duck hunting. So, that is my new area of exploration. I am quite excited about all of this actually. Thanks guys for all of the feedback!

It also doesn't matter if it shoots if you can't hit anything with it because it does not fit you...... but I am going to let the OP decide what he wants and works for him.

Unless you are outside the general bell curve in terms of height, weight, length of arms, etc; the majority of hunters will learn to hunt with the shotgun of their choosing. Women, children, smaller stature it becomes more critical. A 5'2" woman who weighs 112 lbs is going to have a hell of a time with a big auto 12. LOP becomes an issue there as does overall fit. To be quite frank, most people missing with a shotgun and blaming the gun have

1) Never patterned their gun
2) May have the wrong choke
3) Have ammo that doesn't work with the choke and/or wrongly matched ammo for the job
4) Don't know the unique characteristics of how the gun shoots
5) Haven't learned to follow through, lead certain shots properly, haven't learned the fundamentals of certain angle shots, etc.

The whole "shoot the gun that fits you" is more an upland coined term. I get that. You have ALL high-quality OU's with minimal moving parts where intricacies become a factor. Cosmetics are more desirable. Fit of the gun overall becomes a deciding factor.

For me I'm strictly concerned with how gun performs, the choke platform design, vulnerability of certain moving parts in the field, reliability, and overall general design. Overall, your hunting conditions make these things more or less critical or susceptible to failure. If you're hunting on private land from a covered blind in Arkansas, well, that's a different story. You could probably bring a $10,000 vintage OU into the blind and it will still look like a $10,000 gun when you leave. Bodyboot on the Susquehanna Flats...the guns shortcomings are going to be exposed quick. Hunt from a 50 year old glass over cedar Barnegat Bay Sneakbox in the salt marshes of NJ...kiss cosmetics good by.

I was interested in the inertia system as an alternative to a gas one. I did consider a Benelli (A fellow we hunted with once had one) especially as the Browning system seems to be based on the Benelli one. I like Browing as a company. The advice here was very helpful. Ultimately, it came down to minor differences. Cosmetics played a role for sure in the end. I have hunted geese a lot but I am now very interested in duck hunting. So, that is my new area of exploration. I am quite excited about all of this actually. Thanks guys for all of the feedback!

I absolutely support you in your decision to buy that gun! I hope she treats you very well and you get a lot of good use out of it. You are right, Browning service is top notch. I recently bought an X-Bolt White Gold Medallion Maple edition. I called up Browning and they were super helpful. Better than Beretta USA, in my opinion.

Do yourself a favor and do some research on Boss Ammo. For any waterfowl gun, I highly recommend Carlson Chokes. Their Delta Waterfowl series is hands down the toughest and highest quality choke on the market.

I absolutely support you in your decision to buy that gun! I hope she treats you very well and you get a lot of good use out of it. You are right, Browning service is top notch. I recently bought an X-Bolt White Gold Medallion Maple edition. I called up Browning and they were super helpful. Better than Beretta USA, in my opinion.

Do yourself a favor and do some research on Boss Ammo. For any waterfowl gun, I highly recommend Carlson Chokes. Their Delta Waterfowl series is hands down the toughest and highest quality choke on the market.
Thank you for the advice and support! I will certainly see if I can find Boss here. I also tried to find an Italian brand that uses copper instead of steel but it is not available in Canada, sadly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.