Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I have used an o/u 2 3/4 Browning that is actually a repurposed skeet gun. It's actually quite heavy but deadly. This year I used my father's Baretta A400 and I really enjoyed many aspects of it. I am now thinking of a general-purpose shotgun for grouse to geese, turkey, and deer. A flexible workhorse.

I am looking closely at the A5 with 3" chambers - I like the simplicity of design and the weight. It seems like it would be an easy carry for those walks and very reliable for geese hunting. [3" chambers because finding some loads in 2 3/4" is a royal PITA]

I am wondering what the general consensus is on this gun. Also, any others in a comparable range I should take a good look at?

I have used a Benelli SBE for about 10 years. about 15 months ago I got one of the new A5, it seems to fit me a bit better and I seem to hit a few more clays at the range. I enjoy mine a lot. It will shoot the 3inch but not the 3 1/2 like the Benelli. I don't need to shoot 3 1/2 anyway. I would recommend at least trying one out if you can to see how you like it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Are you asking about the old A5 or the NEW A5? The old A5 want to change chokes, you change the barrel. Want to shoot steel, you need a barrel Made in Japan. Mine jams at least once a trip.

I have used an o/u 2 3/4 Browning that is actually a repurposed skeet gun. It's actually quite heavy but deadly. This year I used my father's Baretta A400 and I really enjoyed many aspects of it. I am now thinking of a general-purpose shotgun for grouse to geese, turkey, and deer. A flexible workhorse.

I am looking closely at the A5 with 3" chambers - I like the simplicity of design and the weight. It seems like it would be an easy carry for those walks and very reliable for geese hunting. [3" chambers because finding some loads in 2 3/4" is a royal PITA]

I am wondering what the general consensus is on this gun. Also, any others in a comparable range I should take a good look at?
I am a huge fan of the "hump back" guns,growing up using an old Remington Model 11 (A5 clone). I now own two of the new A5s, one each in 12 and 16 gauge. I have the 3.5" chamber 12 and it is my go-to choice for all purpose shooting. It handles everything from target loads to the big magnum shells, and is great when I go on trips where I may shoot any/all combinations of: targets, dove, upland birds, ducks, geese, turkey, or even buckshot at coyotes. 3" will do the same thing given the range of shells (generally) available and interchangeable choke systems.

The only issue I've had with mine, and it's due to the 3.5" chamber and springs, is it does not always like the lightweight target loads. As long as I use 1 1/8 oz loads at 1150+ fps, I've never had an issue or FTF.

I can't say enough good things about my experiences with the new A5s. I highly recommend them to anyone, and Browning has long been known for their outstanding lineup of Firearms. They have also been phenomenal with customer service in the past (had an issue with the Maxus dura-touch stocks you can easily search online), and I will continue to buy their products without reservation.

Are you asking about the old A5 or the NEW A5? The old A5 want to change chokes, you change the barrel. Want to shoot steel, you need a barrel Made in Japan. Mine jams at least once a trip.
I was looking at the new ones. I hadn't really considered the older ones just because I know squat about them.

Don't do it. I may catch a lot of flak for this but the Browning A5's made in the last 10-12 years have been horrible. Multiple cases of them being sent back to the factory for not cycling, Browning shipping people extractors, etc. If I'm paying damn near $2000 for a gun, it better damn well work out of the box. The old true Belgium made ones are cut from a different cloth. The issue with them is new steel beats the daylights out of the older barrels. The world is moving to bismuth which is more forgiving but it's not an off-the-shelf ammo and if you run out, you may be shooting steel. The Wicked Wings is a pretty gun. Not something I want kicking around in marsh mud.

There are two options: Beretta, Benelli. Assuming you're using this for waterfowl, look no where else. I run an A300 Xtrema which is chambered up to 3.5". It's basically an A400 without some of the bells and whistles like the "Kick-Off" extra mid bead sight, etc. That gun just runs. Low brass upland, 3.5" BB for goose, tungsten, bismuth, etc. She just eats and kills. I have probably 2000 shells through her at this point and she failed to cycle once and it was my fault. The A400 is in the same class as the A5. It's a top-tier gun. You talk to the guys down in Arkansas, they all run either Beretta A-series or a Benelli of some sort. The only downfall to the A-series is the Optima HP choke platform. It's a sport, thin-walled choke system. You'll have issues running high speed, big steel but that stuff is pure crap anyway.

Benelli is your option if you want an inertia gun. They're great. Some guys complain they are a little light. There is, of course, the "Benelli Click." This happens when the hunter accidentally pulls the bolt slightly back out of battery or doesn't run it forward enough, initially. This actually can happen with the Beretta or any gun, for that matter. A simple cursory forward tap of the charging handle is all it takes to fix the issue. Otherwise, they are held in the same regard as the Beretta A-series. In fact, the SBE1 will go down as one of the best waterfowl semi's of all time, next to the original Belgium made Browning A5's.

Waterfowl hunting accounts for about 90% of my hunting every year. I'm in the salt marsh probably 20 times a season, at least. That's not counting about another dozen field hunts for honkers and snow geese. It's some of the worst hunting conditions in the world and the Beretta A300 Xtrema never failed me.

Remember, for waterfowl...the 3 B's

Beretta
Benelli
and Boss ammo.

And please, I apologize if I offended anyone for my dislike of the new A5's. Waterfowlers in my area have very strong opinions on shotguns.

Don't do it. I may catch a lot of flak for this but the Browning A5's made in the last 10-12 years have been horrible. Multiple cases of them being sent back to the factory for not cycling, Browning shipping people extractors, etc. If I'm paying damn near $2000 for a gun, it better damn well work out of the box. The old true Belgium made ones are cut from a different cloth. The issue with them is new steel beats the daylights out of the older barrels. The world is moving to bismuth which is more forgiving but it's not an off-the-shelf ammo and if you run out, you may be shooting steel. The Wicked Wings is a pretty gun. Not something I want kicking around in marsh mud.

There are two options: Beretta, Benelli. Assuming you're using this for waterfowl, look no where else. I run an A300 Xtrema which is chambered up to 3.5". It's basically an A400 without some of the bells and whistles like the "Kick-Off" extra mid bead sight, etc. That gun just runs. Low brass upland, 3.5" BB for goose, tungsten, bismuth, etc. She just eats and kills. I have probably 2000 shells through her at this point and she failed to cycle once and it was my fault. The A400 is in the same class as the A5. It's a top-tier gun. You talk to the guys down in Arkansas, they all run either Beretta A-series or a Benelli of some sort. The only downfall to the A-series is the Optima HP choke platform. It's a sport, thin-walled choke system. You'll have issues running high speed, big steel but that stuff is pure crap anyway.

Benelli is your option if you want an inertia gun. They're great. Some guys complain they are a little light. There is, of course, the "Benelli Click." This happens when the hunter accidentally pulls the bolt slightly back out of battery or doesn't run it forward enough, initially. This actually can happen with the Beretta or any gun, for that matter. A simple cursory forward tap of the charging handle is all it takes to fix the issue. Otherwise, they are held in the same regard as the Beretta A-series. In fact, the SBE1 will go down as one of the best waterfowl semi's of all time, next to the original Belgium made Browning A5's.

Waterfowl hunting accounts for about 90% of my hunting every year. I'm in the salt marsh probably 20 times a season, at least. That's not counting about another dozen field hunts for honkers and snow geese. It's some of the worst hunting conditions in the world and the Beretta A300 Xtrema never failed me.

Beretta
Benelli
and Boss ammo.

And please, I apologize if I offended anyone for my dislike of the new A5's. Waterfowlers in my area have very strong opinions on shotguns.
Thank you for this. Certainly gives me a lot to consider.

Beretta
Benelli
and Boss ammo.

Not the biggest fan of Boss Ammo, impressive shells but I have had mixed results on a few hunts I have used them. But we could debate this forever.

Not the biggest fan of Boss Ammo, impressive shells but I have had mixed results on a few hunts I have used them. But we could debate this forever.

Which choke are you using them with? They are bad with anything Patternmaster with the wad control teeth. They actually recommend factory full. I have used the Carlson's Delta Waterfowl series in full and IM with awesome results. This past season I stoned a black duck that was landing way on the far end of our spread, about 50 yds away, with of all things...#5 shot in 3". Guys are comparing 2 3/4" #5 with the same size lead shot used years ago (and now illegal).

I have an A5 update. I spoke to a fellow I know who licensed to repair Browning. Apparently, Browning had a problem with the new bolt head. But it has been replaced now. It is important to find out whether the particular gun you are buying has the fix I suppose.

This is a great point because I wasn't using factory full, I was using modified. This might have been a strategic mistake on my part but was expecting some close shooting. But I was using #5 shot and was hearing the comparison to lead.

What I didn't like, was that it seems to bit a bit slower and it was hard for me to make the necessary adjustment.

Some may laugh but I have used a Fausti O/U (3.5"chamber) for all of my waterfowl hunting. Most of which being those tough late season geese that do not migrate south from Canada until the weather forces them to do so. Never a failure to feed, fire, or eject regardless of shell length or manufacturer.
You do have to accept the fact that you will most likely not get a "triple" using a double barrel of any kind.
In Argentina I have fired that same same gun so much that I would have to switch it out because the forearm was so hot I couldn't hold on to it. Never a failure of any kind.
I got a lot of opportunities at birds due to problems with autos sitting next to me in the blind. Once some of the guys started using Beretta's and Benelli's not so much.

Some may laugh but I have used a Fausti O/U (3.5"chamber) for all of my waterfowl hunting. Most of which being those tough late season geese that do not migrate south from Canada until the weather forces them to do so.

There's nothing wrong with doing so. There are a couple drawbacks.

- 1 less shell, as you mentioned. I've killed birds on that third shell after missing the first two or hit 1, miss 2, hit 3 (separate bird).
- Weight. The recoil can be downright brutal with an O/U with 3" BB heavy steel loads and I find bismuth to be even worse. Now a lot of guys will say something like "be a man!" It's not even about that, it's control on your follow up shots. It's hard to get the 2nd shot on target when your muzzle jumps 8" vs. maybe 4" with a heavier auto.
- They're just too pretty. Depending where you hunt, waterfowling can be a down right slog-fest through mud, saltwater, weeds, etc. I cut my teeth the Barnegat Bay NJ way of waterfowling which is where the Barnegat Bay Sneakbox originated. I couldn't imagine having a $2000-$6000 beautiful O/U with me in a duck boat. Laying down on the wet grass of the boat, covered in salt spray, mud all over the place from tracking in and out of the boat, to move around, etc.

Other than that, you are right:

- They don't freeze.
- They always cycle.

This is a great point because I wasn't using factory full, I was using modified. This might have been a strategic mistake on my part but was expecting some close shooting. But I was using #5 shot and was hearing the comparison to lead.

What I didn't like, was that it seems to bit a bit slower and it was hard for me to make the necessary adjustment.

I listened to an hour long podcast where they interviewed Brandon Cerecke, owner and creator of Boss. He explained the tight choke constriction. For me, IM is the money choke and full if I'm hunting geese or black ducks that will decoy way off.

I hunted either IM or full prior, though. I didn't find the speed to be much of an adjustment. Certain shots you won't notice it. Flying toward, away, etc. The crossing and any away shots you'll have to adjust.

Try patterning it with the factory chokes and go from there.

There's nothing wrong with doing so. There are a couple drawbacks.

- 1 less shell, as you mentioned. I've killed birds on that third shell after missing the first two or hit 1, miss 2, hit 3 (separate bird).
- Weight. The recoil can be downright brutal with an O/U with 3" BB heavy steel loads and I find bismuth to be even worse. Now a lot of guys will say something like "be a man!" It's not even about that, it's control on your follow up shots. It's hard to get the 2nd shot on target when your muzzle jumps 8" vs. maybe 4" with a heavier auto.
- They're just too pretty. Depending where you hunt, waterfowling can be a down right slog-fest through mud, saltwater, weeds, etc. I cut my teeth the Barnegat Bay NJ way of waterfowling which is where the Barnegat Bay Sneakbox originated. I couldn't imagine having a $2000-$6000 beautiful O/U with me in a duck boat. Laying down on the wet grass of the boat, covered in salt spray, mud all over the place from tracking in and out of the boat, to move around, etc.

Other than that, you are right:

- They don't freeze.
- They always cycle.
I agree that there have been times that if I had a 3 shooter I would have used that third shell.

When talking about price most of these semi-auto's being discussed are probably pushing the $1500+ mark. Not a lot price difference between an O/U or auto that was made to hunt waterfowl. Neither of which are pretty.

Patterning a shotgun with heavy loads during the summer in light clothes is not what I call fun. I have never noticed recoil in the blind but that is most likely due to the fact that the clothing being worn is much heavier. Not much need to set up if the weather ain't right and seldom is the temp much over 0 Fahrenheit, usually much colder. The OP resides in Canada if I am not mistaken so he knows something about freezing temps.

Point taken about shot recovery.

The point I wanted to make was to not to discount a solid O/U as a water fowling gun. The double gives up very little and most of the discussion I hear about semi-autos is about function or lack of. I like to save the malfunction drills for my tactical shotguns.

Since the OP has been using an O/U it may be worth considering. :D Cheers:

Randy Wakeman writes about and uses a lot of shotguns.

I agree that there have been times that if I had a 3 shooter I would have used that third shell.

When talking about price most of these semi-auto's being discussed are probably pushing the $1500+ mark. Not a lot price difference between an O/U or auto that was made to hunt waterfowl. Neither of which are pretty.

Patterning a shotgun with heavy loads during the summer in light clothes is not what I call fun. I have never noticed recoil in the blind but that is most likely due to the fact that the clothing being worn is much heavier. Not much need to set up if the weather ain't right and seldom is the temp much over 0 Fahrenheit, usually much colder. The OP resides in Canada if I am not mistaken so he knows something about freezing temps.

Point taken about shot recovery.

The point I wanted to make was to not to discount a solid O/U as a water fowling gun. The double gives up very little and most of the discussion I hear about semi-autos is about function or lack of. I like to save the malfunction drills for my tactical shotguns.

Since the OP has been using an O/U it may be worth considering. :D Cheers:
I have used my o/u on geese and ducks. I really never felt disadvantaged by the 2 3/4" chamber nor the 2 shot limit. It was very accurate. It is heavy and doesn't kick but I stopped enjoying handling it in hunting situations. Also, getting ammunition for it is a drag.

I never thought I would switch to a semi-auto but here I am

I love my “new model” A5. Bought my first one when they came out in 11 or 12. Hunted with it ever since. Have a couple more in the safe but the first one is going strong. I have the 3” and it cycles dove loads as well heavy duck/goose loads great. Only cycling problem I’ve ever had is when I go to long between cleanings. Once or twice a season keeps it running well. I used to shoot Benelli but feel the A5 fits me better and I hit more with it. I have easily put over 10,000 rounds through it with no problems.

I've posted already, but will post again in slight disagreement with @HookMeUpII ... my Maxus and new A5 are 100% equal to (or in my opinion better) the other B's, Benelli and Beretta. Maxus is gas, A5 is inertia driven so you have options for either style if you have a preference. I've hunted with both of mine in 100+ degree heat with low brass Dove loads, in below 0 duck/goose blinds and fields using standard and magnum steel loads, and everything in between. They've been used heavily in blowing, dusty winds, sleet, rain, sunshine, snow, and every type of terrain and weather. Both have well over 10,000 hunting and target rounds through them and counting. The only times I've ever had a hang-up or FTFs (with a reasonably clean gun) are when using light target loads - as long as I feed standard target loads of 1 1/8 oz shot and 1145+ fps speed or better, they keep shooting. I've seen all three brands, my own included, fail when run hard and not properly cleaned/maintained at a reasonable level; but a simple wipe down of the bolt and receiver and a little dab of Rem Oil gets them all back on track.

As with any product out there, you can find dozens of examples of all brands having one issue or another. One can easily search the internet for issues with all 3 brands noted here, and no one is better nor worse than the others. On the whole, they are all great guns. I will not say that you shouldn't buy a Beretta or Benelli if you have a preference to one of those over Browning for fit/feel or some specific feature. But I will absolutely encourage giving Browning's options a good look because I can attest to the phenomenal performance I've experienced with my own purchases.

My best advise is to go handle all of them and pick the one that fits you best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross