Clothing for spring arctic grizzly hunt

Pole Pole

AH veteran
Reaction score
I plan on hunting arctic grizzly in the spring. I’m from flip flop country and may hunt Alaska once or twice. If you would not mind please share a necessary but short list of clothing mid-layer through rain gear. Some of the gear list provided by guides seem over the top. Last hunted cold weather was in Wyoming when duofold, blue jeans and wool was the way to go so I’m out of touch with this new clothing. Thanks

Share your outfitters list with us.

What are the expected temps? -20F to 10F is very different than 10f-40f. Rain/snow and 32-38F is about the most difficult weather in my opinion. I hunt in the above temp ranges every year in MN and MT.

I'd adhere to your outfitters list, they have been there.

That time of year you can have huge temperature swings, and that is in just one hour. Not to mention the possibility of spring freezing blizzards.

That is unless you want to sit in camp freezing.

Will go as you advise. Will discuss with guide and work it out. Brickburn, I will try to cut and paste the list, thanks

I'd adhere to your outfitters list, they have been there.

That time of year you can have huge temperature swings, and that is in just one hour. Not to mention the possibility of spring freezing blizzards.

That is unless you want to sit in camp freezing.
I agree with Jim. I live and hunt in Alaska. Just last month on an 8 day moose hunt, the temperature ranged from 28’F to 60’F, sunshine to rain to sleet. As for hunting clothing, I personally like Kuiu products for their layering system.

Lance over at Freelance Outdoors has what seems to be a very comprehensive KUIU list Seems like a lot of gear but like you says “he is there”.

Dates and locations are important to. But I'm guessing you'll spend a lot of time sitting and glassing. That can get cold.

General Principles

Fleece is good for moving insulation. It doesn't soak up water. Good under a rain coat for when you get soggy in the rain.

Puffy layers are more efficient. I wear them when I'm not moving.

I prefer pretty much everything else nylon so it dries faster.

Think about boots carefully. I've hunted in trail runners but I also backpack in those. I switched to light boots just to be more waterproof. My latest upgrade are La Sportiva Trango boots. Some guys go for significantly heavier boots. But going from tennis shoes to high stiff boots will be an adjustment for your muscles. Figure out out before the trip.

Last edited:
If you go the route of a system like KUIU, this won't be a concern. But if you put together items yourself it should go without saying (he says, as he says it) that everything from top to bottom should be non-cotton. Good synthetics or naturals like wool for everything are the way to go. And like yhc mentioned, it can change uber-fast. Have enough layers. Also, be super sure about what footwear, depending on the where and specific when of your hunt. Warm, comfy feet --> happy feet --> much better experience.

I will be in the southern slopes of the eastern Brooks range in springtime. Yes, lot of glassing.

In the end, you will get what you pay for...and at the cash register you might cry a little. But I've never heard anyone complain about the money they spent when the top quality gear they have is performing at it's best. Buy once, cry once is a saying for a reason.

The KUIU and Sitka gear is some of the best out there. I've had long conversations with @Scott CWO who is a guide and outfitter in CO and also guides in AK for Costal Brown Bears. KUIU and Sitka base & mid-layers are at the top of his list. Personally, I like the KUIU stuff, but other brands are out there for a reason.The initial investment is high, but you will be rewarded with being warm and dry when lesser gear fails.

The only non-KUIU/Sitka gear he recommended is the bottom outer layer can be a set of chest waders (like the Simms G3) with a set of hard sole wading boots. At least you can use these again for fly fishing and Duck/Goose hunting.

I don’t have experience with a bear hunt like this, but I’ve hunted Alaska and Yukon and have worked in some extreme cold temperatures. I would be more worried about wet than cold. 0 degrees with dry clothes you are fine. 40 degrees with wet cotton clothes is a different story. I’d follow your outfitters list and forget about blue jeans unless you’ll be at a permanent lodge where you can thoroughly dry your gear each night.

BeeMaa, the irony is I have the Simms waders I use duck hunting in Texas which I purchased for a trip to Alaska fishing. Flew out to the Wildman lake area; had a great time. I will bite the bullet and get what I need. Financially it not an issue. It is that I may only use it once maybe twice.

Good advice given by those who have done it. Brooks foothills, glassing... sounds like rocky tundra on the slopes to willow choked bottoms with small streams in some bottoms... then be prepared to hot foot it to intercept :) Spring can be anything- bluebird to really crappy day to day. Layers and footwear that works in multiple terrains. Kind of depends on snowpack from the previous winter and timing. You could have to cross or go around snow banks with rotten holes or tunnels :) Outfitter or guide should know as time approaches and what to plan for.

Key on small looking heads, long looking necks and small looking ears all on big bodies. Expect, especially subadults, to have light colored bodies and darker legs :) good luck!

I lived in Wyoming for 9 years before moving to Alaska. There is no comparison. Alaskan conditions will sort your gear out in a hurry. I like a base layer of ultralight wicking t shirt and pants. From there I go to waterproof soft shell pants. Uppers will be micro fleece followed by soft shell. Boots better be waterproof and broken in and I highly recommend waterproof gaiters. I personally use a ball cap and a Wool cap and switch based on activity level. Hiking w a breathable ball cap, glassing w the wool cap. I prefer top quality taped soft shell to gore Tex rain gear. Try both before you go. I think your personal level of heat generation and perspiration will be the determining factor.

Another consideration is the terminal conditions. When I am packing back to camp or our boat and I know that I will arrive to a heated dry environment, I may just pack in a t-shirt and let it rain/snow on me. If I am arriving to a cold camp I can’t afford to do that, I’ll be hypothermic before I can get warm.

BeeMaa, the irony is I have the Simms waders I use duck hunting in Texas which I purchased for a trip to Alaska fishing. Flew out to the Wildman lake area; had a great time. I will bite the bullet and get what I need. Financially it not an issue. It is that I may only use it once maybe twice.
Yeah, the wife and I talked extensively about this purchase and the same thing kept coming up...how often would we use all the gear. For now we put off the AK Costal Brown hunt and associated gear purchase. However we both have Simms waders and the special wading boots for multi-purpose use. They will be getting a workout this upcoming Spring in the West Branch of the Delaware River with some 5# rods and Trout flies.

Good luck on your AK hunt.

I’m a kuiu fan. The merino wool base layers are great. My favorite is the merino t-shirt. They don’t smell bad after multiple days.
An item I bring everywhere is a silk scarf. Think cowboy style square of silk wrapped around your neck twice and tied. It works in lots of weather and makes a big difference when windy.

Clothing for spring arctic grizzly is a bit different from that for coastal brown bears but there is a lot of crossover.

I like the lightweight Simms or Cabelas’s DryPlus breathable waders for the AK Peninsula where we have wet weather and a lot of river crossings when stalking bears but I probably wouldn’t wear them when hunting arctic grizzly unless there’s a lot of river crossings there. Ask your outfitter.

Kuiu or Sitka layering systems are the way to go. Get some of the zip off long johns. Those are the bomb! Can take them off when you get too warm without taking off pants or boots. I don’t know why it took so many years for someone to make them. You simply drop your trousers, unzip the long john from your waist on down the outside of your leg, put them in your pack and keep moving. It takes just seconds.

I like the Kuiu layered system. With wind chill last November it got to about 14F in South Dakota. I was fine with 3 layers (long johns (smart wool), Attack pants, Kutana Storm pants(rain gear)) and corresponding tops plus a hunting vest. I would also get a hat that covers the ears.

full

I like the Kuiu layered system. With wind chill last November it got to about 14F in South Dakota. I was fine with 3 layers (long johns (smart wool), Attack pants, Kutana Storm pants(rain gear)) and corresponding tops plus a hunting vest. I would also get a hat that covers the ears.

full

I like the double! What is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross