Choke preference

Lots of discussion on patterning boards here. If you want a very out of the box approach to assessing patterns, get a copy of Bob Brister’s book, shotgunning, the art and the science. This is a much more insightful approach to assessing shot charge performance on a moving target than shooting at a static plate.

The choke is just one piece of the system, and not the most influential one when it comes to terminal performance.
I read Bob Brister, and he opened my eyes to the 3 dimensions of Shotgun Patterns. And why some guns (my grandfather's vintage Remington 870, 30" Full) kill more birds (waterfowl in this case), than my later model 870 with the same specs.

The vintage 870 just shoots. Mine sucks as a Full Choke shotgun. Thats the reason I changed the barrel to a 26" barrel with a Remchoke. It wears a modified tube, shoots well, I haven't changed it in 30 years.

@RedLeg comments about struggling with a Poly-Choke mirrors the same experience I had in high school, with my Dad's 20-gauge Remington Model 11. I could never get that gun to pattern consistently, using different loads, and many twists of the Poly- Choke.

Now I see the light (actually a while back). I'll just send the barrel to Briley, cut off that damn Poly-Choke, install a Modified choke tube, and just go hunting.

But my overall hunting preference is a SXS, two trigger double.

Anyone have a preference between Beretta's house brand of extended choke tubes verus the Briley variety? I noticed that the Berettas have no teeth for a wrench, which may be a good or bad thing. Just kind of curious, since I have other choke tubes on other systems that tend to shoot loose if you don't wrench them puppies in there.
Thanks!

Anyone have a preference between Beretta's house brand of extended choke tubes verus the Briley variety? I noticed that the Berettas have no teeth for a wrench, which may be a good or bad thing. Just kind of curious, since I have other choke tubes on other systems that tend to shoot loose if you don't wrench them puppies in there.
Thanks!
I like extended chokes simply because I can change them by hand without tools.

I like extended chokes simply because I can change them by hand without tools.
@Daisy: agree, only positive of extended chokes = easy to change by hand plus look at and know “what choke” (IC, M, F etc..) is in. Some give a better pattern but Not all. Other then that “costly” and UGLY and make the barrel look like a “Plumber fixed a pipe”

Thanks!
I’ve found that most stock chokes are incredibly inconsistent with their measurements vs what they are supposed to be. This has included several Beretta, Benelli, Browning and a few other shotguns. Most recently I had a new Beretta show up with three of the five chokes egged to the point they can’t be installed without damaging the shotgun. Absolutely ridiculous.

The only stock chokes that have been good out of the box came with my Blaser F3 and those were made by Briley specifically for this shotgun. No surprise they were good.

Companies that I would trust are Müller, Carlson’s, Briley and Teague. I have used them all except the Teague, but I know they are a quality product.

Personally, I prefer an extended choke to be able to check to make sure it’s tight without putting my fingers in the line of fire. I tend to check this after shooting a stage or when walking between stations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NataliaBos

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross