Cheetah Spotted In Djibouti For The First Time In Over 30 Years

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Team headed by Cape Town researcher makes exciting discovery during a biodiversity survey of this little-studied country

Good news tends to be scarce in the international conservation arena, so the recent confirmation of the presence of a wild cheetah in Djibouti after an absence of more than 30 years from this Horn of Africa country had wildlife researchers smiling broadly.

But one cheetah doesn't necessarily make a population, they warned.

Cheetahs are one of the three species that make up the continent's iconic "big cat" triumvirate. And, like their lion and leopard counterparts, cheetah numbers have been plummeting and their current geographical range has shrunk dramatically.

Formerly widespread through much of Africa and south-western Asia, cheetahs are now found in only about 9% of their historical range. Researchers suggest that this recent rapid contraction and other factors, such as their low genetic variability, warrants a change in conservation status - on the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List - from "vulnerable" to "endangered".

Screenshot_3.jpg

I wasn't aware of plummeting Lion numbers? In fact I thought that many countries were seeing Lion populations surge as hunting has diminished either based on cost or due to the fear of negative publicity.

I'm happy to be corrected but either way great news if cheetah populations are rebounding in other countries!

I wasn't aware of plummeting Lion numbers? In fact I thought that many countries were seeing Lion populations surge as hunting has diminished either based on cost or due to the fear of negative publicity.

I'm happy to be corrected but either way great news if cheetah populations are rebounding in other countries!
That is what the greenies woukd like you to think and hope happens.
You stop hunting and suddenly it will be paradise for all game.

The fact of the matter is if it pays it stays.
If the animals have no valus then Goats, Sheep and Cattle that have monetary value will replace wildlife that doesnt have value.

Hunting is a far better way of conservation method and its renewable and 80% of the rest of Africa or wild areas are not suited for photographic safaris.

Team headed by Cape Town researcher makes exciting discovery during a biodiversity survey of this little-studied country

Good news tends to be scarce in the international conservation arena, so the recent confirmation of the presence of a wild cheetah in Djibouti after an absence of more than 30 years from this Horn of Africa country had wildlife researchers smiling broadly.

But one cheetah doesn't necessarily make a population, they warned.

Cheetahs are one of the three species that make up the continent's iconic "big cat" triumvirate. And, like their lion and leopard counterparts, cheetah numbers have been plummeting and their current geographical range has shrunk dramatically.

Formerly widespread through much of Africa and south-western Asia, cheetahs are now found in only about 9% of their historical range. Researchers suggest that this recent rapid contraction and other factors, such as their low genetic variability, warrants a change in conservation status - on the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List - from "vulnerable" to "endangered".

View attachment 549338

Does anyone know where in the area this Cheetah was spotted ?

I ask because I know the area well. I was in this country as a French soldier for several months.

Are leopard really plummeting? How do you count secretive and nocturnal as leopard?As for lion, when you get out from parks and controlled hunting areas lion and leopard have no value so they are poisoned snared and shot, no value at all. As others have said if it pays it stays.

Does anyone know where in the area this Cheetah was spotted ?

I ask because I know the area well. I was in this country as a French soldier for several months.
On March 30, at 1:59 a.m., a camera on the rugged and remote Digri Plateau recorded six images of a cheetah

The area is a desert.

Game is there not very much, but overall there is not a lot of wildlife on the territory of Djibouti.

Dik-dik's could be sighted several times, few warthogs, one time a Gerenuk, but once we had the opportunity to see from the helicopter in the west of the country on the border with Ethiopia a small herd of Oryx Beisa.

Drug dealing Pirates pet Cheetah got loose?

Who knows !

In any case, it will not stay a long time. If it's still like it was then, there is not much to eat for it.
You will be surprized wat they can live from, mice, rats, rabbits, toads, pets and so on.
I'm not saying that this is what they do live on maybe they are checking out new territoty.

Leopards on the other hand adapt very well close to humans I know in Windhoek on the outskirts of town there is as well as on the outskirts of Pretoria even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheAngloPrussian

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.