Chapuis Brousse 470 NE Double Rifle

@deewayne2003 Thanks for the info, I'll keep looking around at what's available and have a bit of a think about it. I've been in touch with the Chapuis product manager here and he has advised that Chapuis make a small weaver style rail for the doubles, so I have got one of those on order, should arrive in around a month or so. Also he was recommending a full size red dot, the Aimpoint Micro H-2 over an RMR. I think mostly because a red dot like this is more designed for hunting rifles which makes sense but they are significantly bigger/bulkier than an RMR which is obviously a down side.

@Aussie_Hunter Congrats on a beauty of a rifle. Did you ever get your weaver rail? I have a 450-400 and I bought the weaver rail recently and I have absolutely no idea how it would work. It's longer than both slots that are in the rib and it is the short rail #66010 that's in their brochure. Looks just like the picture of it.

At first I thought that relief cut in the back was to slide over the rib for some odd reason, but that just seemed like an absurd way to go about things and the thickness of the mount and rib didn't make that even possible if you were to remove that base plate, which so far I can't because I can't get the screws to come loose. If anyone has any insight on how this mounts, I'm listening. Maybe it sits on top which is even more absurd but the screws that came with it wouldn't be long enough to do that? Maybe I'm just a moron and have no idea how that is supposed to mount. It would be great if there were some pictures online about this for reference but there is absolutely nothing. All red dots I have seen installed on these have been milled into the rib.

I was really hoping to get this to work because I found a picatinny mount that works with most red dots as it has a bunch of mounting patterns. It is made by Strike Industries. It is super super low. I'd need to modify it only slightly to work with the weaver rail but it would make the trijicon rmr sit very close to the rib for a better cheek weld. If you go with the rib mounted trijicon mount, it sits quite a bit higher than this. I think it's about twice as high. The last photo is the weaver rail with the mount to show how much lower this would be compared to the trijicon rib mount. Ideally, it'd be great to just mount the red dot to a custom plate so it's as low as the rib but that'd require a bit more money to do.

PXL_20230428_233216692.jpg

PXL_20230428_233329766.jpg

PXL_20230428_233311627.jpg

PXL_20230429_001708254.jpg

So I'm guessing you take the plate out and then the long part without the screw holes slides over the rib? Hmmmm not even sure that would work? Yeah seems like a bit of an odd design.

Yeah the screws in mine were really tight too, make sure you have a screwdriver that fits perfectly and then give it a tap with a hammer while putting pressure turning and they should come loose.

Unfortunately I no longer have this rifle, really sucky story! I was so happy with it, but when I took those plates out of the rib I discovered really bad corrosion, so bad at first I couldn't get the plates out of the rib because they were corroded in, I had to belt them out with a soft hammer.

So I have sent the rifle back for a refund, I actually just got the refund a week ago and have been meaning to update this post just hadn't got around to it. All though there was an issue with rifle and the outcome is me ending up with no double rifle which is definitely not the outcome I wanted, I do have to commend Beretta Australia on how they have handled the issue. They have been absolutely fantastic to deal with, they more than happy to provide a replacement they just didn't have any more Brousse models in 470 available, they offered me several Jungle models in other calibres as replacements, offered me a refund etc. I can't say enough good things about how they handled the situation, unfortunately all the doubles they had in stock as potential replacements were not what I was after so in the end I opted for a refund.

Really disappointing as I hunted around for a double that suited me for years and finally landed on the Chapuis and I was super happy with it.

Where I go from here I don't know, I can order a new one as a replacement but as we all know the lead times on these rifles in any brand is usually no less than 12-18 months and I really wanted the rifle for hunts I am doing this year so that doesn't align for me.

Anyway since the double didn't work out and I have been looking at Rigby Highland Stalkers for a long time and could get one at a good price I decided now was the time to get one, also it will be in my hands in only a few weeks which means I'll be able to use it on the hunts I have planned this year.

After this hunting season I might start to consider a double again and I also may not.......

Sorry to hear that mate! Must be so disappointing. Hope you find something else soon

Don't give up on a double AH. You know me, I am going to punt the Heym, no such issues to worry about. If you ordered now it may just be ready for next season.

Ouch that is no good that happened. Too bad they couldn't get you another. My gun came from bass pro and it was the one on display but it was a new gun. There are quite a few dings in the stock. That's too expensive of a gun to let people do what they have done to it. You'd think they'd tell everyone, you damage it, you buy it. That part kind of baffles me. I picked it up yesterday from my local Cabelas. I was fully aware of the dings in the stock and so forth and I did get a discount for that. Essentially I was buying a new, but used gun. The regulation is decent.

PXL_20230429_010855812.jpg

What I didn't notice was that the front bead was also busted off. The flip over sight is there and works fine but the brass bead is broken off down to the base. So I'll have to replace that. Not sure if that is something I'm willing to try on my own or not. The bass pro guys when they were sending me photos of the rifle did not catch that and did not mention it. When I did my inspection of it when I picked it up, I didn't notice it either unfortunately. I would have passed on it at that point and just bought from Champlin as I'm sure it would have been flawless from them, but that ship has now sailed and I'm stuck with what I have.

I also still can't get the screws undone, and I've now bent 4 screwdrivers trying to get them out. I can get one of the screws from the far back plate undone, it was super easy, but the other 3 won't budge even a tiny bit. That still doesn't help though as I still can't fathom how that weaver plate is supposed to work anyway. At this point I want to look underneath the built in removable plates and to see what the condition of the screws are in to see if there's a bigger problem like corrosion or if they are all stripped and that's why they are impossible to move. All of these are minor issues in the long run but stuff you really don't want to run into when you pay that kind of money since I am near certain it's going to have to go to a gunsmith to get those screws out. Just more money out of my pocket. I didn't save enough of a discount on this new gun for these headaches compared to buying from another source so that's just another lesson learned.

Maybe @Tom Leoni can help out and tell us how those weaver bases are actually supposed to work. Maybe the base I got is messed up or my gun is an older design and I just need to have someone mill in a spot on the rib to mount the red dot to. Also, maybe let me know what height of the front sight comes standard so I can track down a new one. I will probably just reach out to their customer support and see if I can just buy a new front sight and see what they will do about the screws not coming undone. Not sure why I should have to pay for a gunsmith to get them out for me.

Don't give up on a double AH. You know me, I am going to punt the Heym, no such issues to worry about. If you ordered now it may just be ready for next season.

Yeah I’m now thinking I just except the fact that maybe I just order a double and if it takes 2 years then so be it. I’ve currently got the Rigby importer in Australia getting me a price on the new Rigby boxlock but I’m pretty sure it will come back at more than I want to spend so there is a good chance I’ll start looking at Heym but also Verney. A mate of mine has a near new Verney in 470 he is selling so I’m considering that as well.

Ouch that is no good that happened. Too bad they couldn't get you another. My gun came from bass pro and it was the one on display but it was a new gun. There are quite a few dings in the stock. That's too expensive of a gun to let people do what they have done to it. You'd think they'd tell everyone, you damage it, you buy it. That part kind of baffles me. I picked it up yesterday from my local Cabelas. I was fully aware of the dings in the stock and so forth and I did get a discount for that. Essentially I was buying a new, but used gun. The regulation is decent.

View attachment 530810

What I didn't notice was that the front bead was also busted off. The flip over sight is there and works fine but the brass bead is broken off down to the base. So I'll have to replace that. Not sure if that is something I'm willing to try on my own or not. The bass pro guys when they were sending me photos of the rifle did not catch that and did not mention it. When I did my inspection of it when I picked it up, I didn't notice it either unfortunately. I would have passed on it at that point and just bought from Champlin as I'm sure it would have been flawless from them, but that ship has now sailed and I'm stuck with what I have.

I also still can't get the screws undone, and I've now bent 4 screwdrivers trying to get them out. I can get one of the screws from the far back plate undone, it was super easy, but the other 3 won't budge even a tiny bit. That still doesn't help though as I still can't fathom how that weaver plate is supposed to work anyway. At this point I want to look underneath the built in removable plates and to see what the condition of the screws are in to see if there's a bigger problem like corrosion or if they are all stripped and that's why they are impossible to move. All of these are minor issues in the long run but stuff you really don't want to run into when you pay that kind of money since I am near certain it's going to have to go to a gunsmith to get those screws out. Just more money out of my pocket. I didn't save enough of a discount on this new gun for these headaches compared to buying from another source so that's just another lesson learned.

Maybe @Tom Leoni can help out and tell us how those weaver bases are actually supposed to work. Maybe the base I got is messed up or my gun is an older design and I just need to have someone mill in a spot on the rib to mount the red dot to. Also, maybe let me know what height of the front sight comes standard so I can track down a new one. I will probably just reach out to their customer support and see if I can just buy a new front sight and see what they will do about the screws not coming undone. Not sure why I should have to pay for a gunsmith to get them out for me.

I suggest taking it to a competent gunsmith, let a professional suss it out for you. Im confident A decent gunsmith will soon answer all your questions. I hope you don’t have corrosion issues the same as I did. Get it checked out ASAP mate.

View attachment 530810

I would just send it to JJ and have him correct the problems and have him Mount your optic for you!

I had already reached out to JJ as I had a list of items I wanted worked on but I sent my gun back to Benelli USA for them to figure out most of the items on the list. Everything that should be covered under the warranty. Once I get it back and they address the issues, I will be sending it to JJ to shorten the LOP and put the sight on.

One additional thing that I ended up not liking at all that needs addressed by their gunsmith was the top lever was super hard to disengage the action. You'd push to the right and it'd take a considerable amount of force to open the action. It makes a loud pop noise once the top lever breaks free instead of smoothly opening. At the shop I was pretty gentle with it and closed the action fairly softly. It was a little sticky then as well but once you closed the action with a bit more force like you would during normal use is when it got really bad.

Again, another lesson learned and I should have run as fast as I could to another rifle. I'm hopeful Benelli will do what they can to make it right. I hope to have the gun back before I leave to Africa on the 31st. I'm guessing it will be after that date before it's shipped back to me though. I was not planning on taking it to Africa so that's not a problem. If it comes after I leave, it will be the first part of July before I'll be able to review any work they did to see it's satisfactory or not.

You went for a discount deal and I hate to say it, but you walked right into this. Not meaning to rub your nose in it Mike, but instead of sending it to JJ you again take the other route. If it were me, when something has soured to this extent sell the wretched thing at whatever you can get and chalk it up to experience. Move on, buy a really new double like a Heym and be happy. Life is too short.

You went for a discount deal and I hate to say it, but you walked right into this. Not meaning to rub your nose in it Mike, but instead of sending it to JJ you again take the other route. If it were me, when something has soured to this extent sell the wretched thing at whatever you can get and chalk it up to experience. Move on, buy a really new double like a Heym and be happy. Life is too short.
My experience as well! I know first hand it is an expensive lesson but one I’ve learned

You are absolutely right on walking into it, and I had the option of walking away when I inspected the rifle. It wasn't a done deal at that point. The only reason it went back to Benelli instead of JJ first was because JJ was 4 months out on doing any work, and he doesn't do warranty work on chapuis rifles any longer. The stuck screws have me more worried about corrosion than anything, although that might not be the case. It might be more simple than that. That's why I went the warranty route first because if it is something worse, then it gets taken care of straight from Benelli and I'm not waiting for up to 4 months to have JJ do his thing just to look at the stuck screws first, and then have Benelli doing their thing if it's a bigger problem. Benelli can look at it sooner and fix the warranty items, and then I can have JJ do the sight and stock work. I'm still out the rifle for the same amount of time but it's more of a calculated plan in case Benelli finds something more serious with the rifle. It can then either be repaired or replaced by Benelli where JJ would have just said now you need to send it back to Benelli.

You are absolutely right on walking into it, and I had the option of walking away when I inspected the rifle. It wasn't a done deal at that point. The only reason it went back to Benelli instead of JJ first was because JJ was 4 months out on doing any work, and he doesn't do warranty work on chapuis rifles any longer. The stuck screws have me more worried about corrosion than anything, although that might not be the case. It might be more simple than that. That's why I went the warranty route first because if it is something worse, then it gets taken care of straight from Benelli and I'm not waiting for up to 4 months to have JJ do his thing just to look at the stuck screws first, and then have Benelli doing their thing if it's a bigger problem. Benelli can look at it sooner and fix the warranty items, and then I can have JJ do the sight and stock work. I'm still out the rifle for the same amount of time but it's more of a calculated plan in case Benelli finds something more serious with the rifle. It can then either be repaired or replaced by Benelli where JJ would have just said now you need to send it back to Benelli.
Makes sense. I feel for you, a new double rifle is meant to be a special experience, I hope it all works out well.

If it were I, my view would be a first hand course on double rifles. I tend to view things as an education so that I don't get so discouraged I sell the thing off and never want anything to deal with it again.

We have all paid for an education, it could be schooling, relationships, business or business partners. No matter what some form of payment was made(time, emotion, or money). Nothing has an entry price of free, how we deal with it defines who we are and how will will deal with things later in life.

Just my .02, that is not worth the .02 haha

I guess if it was my rifle I'd get it fixed and take it hunting!

Mate as long as yours doesn't have the corrosion issues mine had I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. The tight action doesn't sound unusual to me, mine was extremely tight from new, which to be honest I would rather see that than it being loose, I'd be surprised if it doesn't free up nicely after a bit of use like mine did. I hope yours doesn't have any corrosion and it works out for you, the one I had was a fantastic rifle, without the corrosion issue it definitely would have been one I would have held onto forever.

I will be taking it or a Merkel that I have for my hunts in 2024, so I'm hoping everything is easily fixed. Preferably the Chapuis. I have no idea what kind of pressure it was taking to push the top lever over. I didn't think of it at the time but I should have used my trigger pull measurer to get the weight in lbs it took to move it. It was an large amount of force. My experience in break action guns is quite limited but no gun that I have ever owned was ever that hard to move the top lever. Tight on some, but nothing like this.

I will be taking it or a Merkel that I have for my hunts in 2024, so I'm hoping everything is easily fixed. Preferably the Chapuis. I have no idea what kind of pressure it was taking to push the top lever over. I didn't think of it at the time but I should have used my trigger pull measurer to get the weight in lbs it took to move it. It was an large amount of force. My experience in break action guns is quite limited but no gun that I have ever owned was ever that hard to move the top lever. Tight on some, but nothing like this.

Yeah ok fair enough, that doesn’t sound like it’s right then.
Only think I can say is really push the issue with Benelli for answers ASAP which I’m sure you are already doing

Re display guns at Cabelas/Bass Pro: There must be a trend. I was looking at a Chapuis Chasseur 12 bore that was listed and priced as brand new by Bass Pro. You should have seen the dings and scratches on that gun! Chatter up the bottom of the buttstock like it had been dragged across the edge of something hard and sharp, dents throughout the wood, including in the checkering, and scratches in the bluing. Couldn't believe it!

I asked the salesman how they could consider that "factory new" and list it for full price, and he said that it was unfired and just had some "slight handling marks" from being displayed. He then offered to take a couple hundred bucks off the list price for me. I passed (lord knows what else that gun has seen!), but I noticed they kept it listed as factory new and full price. I told them they should probably update the listing to reflect the significant blemishes, but I suppose they're hoping some sucker will buy it sight unseen for full price.

That and another very frustrating incident with Bass Pro/Cabelas have completely soured me on the stores.

Congratulations!
I think you’ll like the Chapius and .470NE is a classic caliber, it’s been around for 100+ years for a reason. I bought one 15 years ago, found it to be a good value and research I did indicated it was good quality - also liked “the look”.. and it’s surprisingly accurate: 1” @ 50 yrds. and under 2” at 100 yrds. Recoil was manageable and I later added a mercury recoil suppressor and that helped also. I’m No expert and many others on this forum have much more experience with double rifles and can offer more insight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross