Chapuis Brousse 470 NE Double Rifle

Can't wait to get this thing to the range and find a load it likes
1675410140954.jpeg

I have gone back and forth with the idea of a double for alot of years, I owned a secondhand Merkel 140ae in 470NE for a couple of years, I went down the road of a secondhand Merkel purely because of the price, I wanted to spend some time on the range and in the field with a double to see if I liked it before spending 2 or 3 times the money on one.

After hunting with the Merkel I decided I love doubles, I really like how they are quick to point like a shotgun and the quick one two punch of the double was very appealing, I can see why PH's love them. Since selling that Merkel around 12 months ago I have been looking at all brands of doubles in all chamberings, finally I found the most appealing to me was the Chapuis brand. Not that I don't like other brands, Heym has always been at the top of my list, the Merkel itself was a fine working rifle, I have looked at a lot of Verney's I have also recently been looking at an older William Douglas 470 but the Chapuis doubles are what I keep going back to.

I have loved the idea of the 500/416 chambering, it is a really interesting cartridge to me not to mention I don't have a 416 in my safe but I finally made the decision to go with the trusty old 470, when I had the Merkel the 470 cartridge provided outstanding performance and I just couldn't look past it.

Today I ordered this Chapuis Brousse in 470NE, I couldn't be happier with my choice, attached below are some photos the importer sent through today when I was enquiring about the rifle. From what I have seen and read Chapuis doubles have an outstanding reputation and I really do feel Chapuis are one of the best value for money double rifles on the market, the weight, barrel length and LOP are exactly what I am looking for, I also absolutely love the aesthetics of this double, it has a really nice straight grain through the wood which I always like to see on big calibre rifles, the engraving isn't over the top (I'm a simple man I don't need anything too fancy). Not to mention from the factory it has the removeable plates in the rib so either a dot or scope can be mounted, I'm considering an RMR but will spend some time with the open sights first before making a final decision on that.

Did my permit to acquire tonight, which are taking around 3 weeks at the moment so in less than a month I should have the rifle in my hands.

View attachment 512211
View attachment 512212
View attachment 512213
View attachment 512214
View attachment 512215
View attachment 512216
View attachment 512217
View attachment 512218
View attachment 512219
Stunning rifle; congrats on your acquisition, off to Afrika you go ...

Rifle arrived at my dealer today, photos don't do it justice! Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my permit to acquire, will hopefully have it in the next few days. The documentation with the rifle shows it was regulated with Federal ammo loaded with Woodleighs.

@Aussie_Hunter

I just got my .470 back today after having the rib milled for an RMR sight QD mount in preparation for hunting the NT in September.
07A8D059-1E58-4ECD-B6AC-7A0B023859F9.jpeg

I decided to go with the RMR with 1 MOA dot and while I haven’t been to the range yet I couldn’t be happier with my choice of sight and mount.

FYI my gun is regulated with 500gr Woodleighs also.

@Aussie_Hunter

I just got my .470 back today after having the rib milled for an RMR sight QD mount in preparation for hunting the NT in September.
View attachment 517788

I decided to go with the RMR with 1 MOA dot and while I haven’t been to the range yet I couldn’t be happier with my choice of sight and mount.

FYI my gun is regulated with 500gr Woodleighs also.
I'm literally online right now shopping for red dots for my new double. What's that rifle of yours? And you are happy with the RMR? I'm concerned they look a bit delicate compared to a normal red dot sight, I was considering an Aimpoint Micro H-2. How's the sight picture with the RMR are you still able to get a decent cheek weld on the stock or do you need to lift your head up a bit?

@Aussie_Hunter

My rifle is a Sabatti- my profile pic is a L&R group from it at 50yds when it was regulated and I am hoping the RMR sight will extend the effective range of my .470

The RMR may look delicate- but once in hand it’s actually rather impressive; and after looking at every model of sight I could get my hands on I decided on the RMR 1moa.

Durability - the first R in RMR stands for Rugged and I believe it, I looked all over for negative reviews online and could find none - With the exception of the “Dual illuminated model” that has both fiber optic and battery- apparently the clear top that allows light in can be delicate and either crack and become discolored …… but this is only 3 reviews out of hundreds.

Cheek weld - I have to raise my head ever so slightly but still have more that comfortable cheek weld and don’t foresee any issues with it, but if needed the thinnest of cheek pad on the stock would solve it

Also as far as sight picture, it's perfect for me.... before deciding where to mount it I used painters tape to hold it in position close to the breach and then again where you see it now behind the rear sight block.

I obviously preferred behind the rear sight block and in this location I can see the dot without the bottom half of the target being obstructed as with iron sights. With the rifle mounted to my shoulder and right eye open it points perfectly and as you increase the brightness the dot appears bigger, if you can shoot with both eyes open the dot seems to float in mid air.

@deewayne2003 Thanks for the info, I'll keep looking around at what's available and have a bit of a think about it. I've been in touch with the Chapuis product manager here and he has advised that Chapuis make a small weaver style rail for the doubles, so I have got one of those on order, should arrive in around a month or so. Also he was recommending a full size red dot, the Aimpoint Micro H-2 over an RMR. I think mostly because a red dot like this is more designed for hunting rifles which makes sense but they are significantly bigger/bulkier than an RMR which is obviously a down side.

Finally received the approval email for my permit to acquire this morning, 37 days it took! That's the longest I have ever had to wait for a permit, ridiculous.

Anyway should have the rifle in my hands in a couple of days and will be able to take it to the range next weekend.

So the rifle came with the factory target which states the load used for regulating which is always handy and also what looks to be some sort of proofing certificate. I measured the factory target the group is 1.7 inches which is not bad for 50 metres. Also a couple more snaps of the rifle, photos just don't do it justice, they really are a fine rifle.

1677474035557.jpeg

1677474086295.jpeg

1677474408091.jpeg

1677474480470.jpeg

1677474563310.jpeg

1677474600861.jpeg

Actually that’s one thing I forgot to ask, do you know what ammo is used to regulate the Chapuis doubles? Or does anyone reading this thread know? I’m assuming my dealer should be able to get that info for me from the importer.
I’ve got several different powders and load data I can use but at this stage I only have Woodleigh projectiles.

I actually love the process of working up loads in a double to see what regulates best I really enjoy it, expensive and hard on the shoulder but good fun!

Hello, Aussie--they regulate it for Federal Woodleigh 500gr solids. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Tom

Hello, Aussie--they regulate it for Federal Woodleigh 500gr solids. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Tom
Hey mate, the documentation that came with the rifle shows Woodleigh soft points were used

Hey mate, the documentation that came with the rifle shows Woodleigh soft points were used
Hi, Aussie, this is what the factory in France has confirmed for me: (emphasis theirs). They probably changed from softs to solids at some point.

Hi Tom,

La plaisir était partagé !!

For the 470 NE: Federal Woodleigh SOLID in 500gr

Kind regards

Pierre

Hi, Aussie, this is what the factory in France has confirmed for me: (emphasis theirs). They probably changed from softs to solids at some point.

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

Pierre

Maybe just using whatever they can get at the time? They probably ran out of softs now Woodleigh has been out of production for over 12 months

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

Pierre
My Chapuis Elan's paperwork also states Federal premium Woodleigh 500 grain Weldcore!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross