Chapuis Brousse 470 NE Double Rifle

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I have gone back and forth with the idea of a double for alot of years, I owned a secondhand Merkel 140ae in 470NE for a couple of years, I went down the road of a secondhand Merkel purely because of the price, I wanted to spend some time on the range and in the field with a double to see if I liked it before spending 2 or 3 times the money on one.

After hunting with the Merkel I decided I love doubles, I really like how they are quick to point like a shotgun and the quick one two punch of the double was very appealing, I can see why PH's love them. Since selling that Merkel around 12 months ago I have been looking at all brands of doubles in all chamberings, finally I found the most appealing to me was the Chapuis brand. Not that I don't like other brands, Heym has always been at the top of my list, the Merkel itself was a fine working rifle, I have looked at a lot of Verney's I have also recently been looking at an older William Douglas 470 but the Chapuis doubles are what I keep going back to.

I have loved the idea of the 500/416 chambering, it is a really interesting cartridge to me not to mention I don't have a 416 in my safe but I finally made the decision to go with the trusty old 470, when I had the Merkel the 470 cartridge provided outstanding performance and I just couldn't look past it.

Today I ordered this Chapuis Brousse in 470NE, I couldn't be happier with my choice, attached below are some photos the importer sent through today when I was enquiring about the rifle. From what I have seen and read Chapuis doubles have an outstanding reputation and I really do feel Chapuis are one of the best value for money double rifles on the market, the weight, barrel length and LOP are exactly what I am looking for, I also absolutely love the aesthetics of this double, it has a really nice straight grain through the wood which I always like to see on big calibre rifles, the engraving isn't over the top (I'm a simple man I don't need anything too fancy). Not to mention from the factory it has the removeable plates in the rib so either a dot or scope can be mounted, I'm considering an RMR but will spend some time with the open sights first before making a final decision on that.

Did my permit to acquire tonight, which are taking around 3 weeks at the moment so in less than a month I should have the rifle in my hands.

1674213781179.jpeg

1674213808279.jpeg

1674213871082.jpeg

1674213893755.jpeg

1674213952124.jpeg

1674213976032.jpeg

1674214007374.jpeg

1674214034579.jpeg

1674214056258.jpeg

I have gone back and forth with the idea of a double for alot of years, I owned a secondhand Merkel 140ae in 470NE for a couple of years, I went down the road of a secondhand Merkel purely because of the price, I wanted to spend some time on the range and in the field with a double to see if I liked it before spending 2 or 3 times the money on one.

After hunting with the Merkel I decided I love doubles, I really like how they are quick to point like a shotgun and the quick one two punch of the double was very appealing, I can see why PH's love them. Since selling that Merkel around 12 months ago I have been looking at all brands of doubles in all chamberings, finally I found the most appealing to me was the Chapuis brand. Not that I don't like other brands, Heym has always been at the top of my list, the Merkel itself was a fine working rifle, I have looked at a lot of Verney's I have also recently been looking at an older William Douglas 470 but the Chapuis doubles are what I keep going back to.

I have loved the idea of the 500/416 chambering, it is a really interesting cartridge to me not to mention I don't have a 416 in my safe but I finally made the decision to go with the trusty old 470, when I had the Merkel the 470 cartridge provided outstanding performance and I just couldn't look past it.

Today I ordered this Chapuis Brousse in 470NE, I couldn't be happier with my choice, attached below are some photos the importer sent through today when I was enquiring about the rifle. From what I have seen and read Chapuis doubles have an outstanding reputation and I really do feel Chapuis are one of the best value for money double rifles on the market, the weight, barrel length and LOP are exactly what I am looking for, I also absolutely love the aesthetics of this double, it has a really nice straight grain through the wood which I always like to see on big calibre rifles, the engraving isn't over the top (I'm a simple man I don't need anything too fancy). Not to mention from the factory it has the removeable plates in the rib so either a dot or scope can be mounted, I'm considering an RMR but will spend some time with the open sights first before making a final decision on that.

Did my permit to acquire tonight, which are taking around 3 weeks at the moment so in less than a month I should have the rifle in my hands.

View attachment 512211
View attachment 512212
View attachment 512213
View attachment 512214
View attachment 512215
View attachment 512216
View attachment 512217
View attachment 512218
View attachment 512219
Congratulations!

View attachment 512211
View attachment 512212
View attachment 512213
View attachment 512214
View attachment 512215
View attachment 512216
View attachment 512217
View attachment 512218
View attachment 512219
Congratulations! Beautiful rifle!!! I had one in 450-400 NE. Chapuis indeed makes a fine DR

Wonderful rifle! As a fellow Chapuis Brousse in 470NE owner, I know you will be very happy with your decision!

Very nice! Is there a restriction on how many rifles you can own in Australia? Just curious of what the current laws are there.
I owned a Merkel 470 as well. I'm hoping your Chapuis shoots as well as my Merkel did. I've heard nothing but good things about the Chapuis doubles.

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing. Will you scope or leave as is?? Love those sights!!!

Agree the sights look amazing! I love that the rear fixed express sight actually has a notch in it not I’m a big fan of that. Open sights for now, I shoot big calibres with open sights pretty well but I’m also thinking since I’ve got my Rigby with open sights I might put a red dot on this rifle at some point.

Very nice! Is there a restriction on how many rifles you can own in Australia? Just curious of what the current laws are there.
I owned a Merkel 470 as well. I'm hoping your Chapuis shoots as well as my Merkel did. I've heard nothing but good things about the Chapuis doubles.

I think when you get up to 30 rifles you have to get a collectors license.

Yeah the Merkel I had was really accurate as well, I’m hoping for the same out of this Chapuis.

Wonderful rifle! As a fellow Chapuis Brousse in 470NE owner, I know you will be very happy with your decision!

Actually that’s one thing I forgot to ask, do you know what ammo is used to regulate the Chapuis doubles? Or does anyone reading this thread know? I’m assuming my dealer should be able to get that info for me from the importer.
I’ve got several different powders and load data I can use but at this stage I only have Woodleigh projectiles.

I actually love the process of working up loads in a double to see what regulates best I really enjoy it, expensive and hard on the shoulder but good fun!

Developing a load for a bouble requires a lot of ammunition I am finding. I think the initial sighter number is 12, being four rounds in each of three charges. If you need to test different bullets too it increases geometrically from there.

Developing a load for a bouble requires a lot of ammunition I am finding. I think the initial sighter number is 12, being four rounds in each of three charges. If you need to test different bullets too it increases geometrically from there.

I’m hoping it regulates well with 2209 and Woodleighs as I have plenty of both that powder and projectile. But I will also try RL15 and RL19 powders, RL17 was the most accurate out of the merkel I had but I don’t have any of that powder left. However I do still have 30 loaded rounds in my ammo box with Woodleighs and RL17.

Actually that’s one thing I forgot to ask, do you know what ammo is used to regulate the Chapuis doubles? Or does anyone reading this thread know? I’m assuming my dealer should be able to get that info for me from the importer.
I’ve got several different powders and load data I can use but at this stage I only have Woodleigh projectiles.

I actually love the process of working up loads in a double to see what regulates best I really enjoy it, expensive and hard on the shoulder but good fu
My Chapuis Elan was regulated with Federal premium 500 grn Woodleighs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross