Chapius Iphisi 375h&h

Gina congratz on 2 nice doubles. On the down loading for the 450/400, it will be tricky to get the bullets to shoot to where the barrels are regulated. You are about to step into the science and black magic of reloading for doubles. I would recommend getting a copy of Graeme Wright's Shooting British Double and read it several times before you embark on a rewarding and sometimes very frustrating world of loading for doubles.
Thank you, Dave!
I think we have that book but I will have to double check when I get back home! I really appreciate the recommendation! I am sure when the time comes, I will be asking all the reloading gurus here on AH a few things :)

One thing I have found from owning several DRs is powder type really makes a big difference in recoil at least to me. For example I used H4831SC for one of mine which kicked hard. I worked with Ken Owen and changed to IMR3031 and was just amazed at the reduced recoil. Of course Dave is so spot on with is “black magic” comment. Reloading for a DR getting regulation truly is an art and a science. Looking forward to your successful hunting stories with the new gun!

There is no "black magic" in loading for double rifles. It is a straight forward process especially if one is wanting a lower recoiling combination.

YMMV,

EJ

@Esoteric Junkie I agree with your statement %85 on it being a straight forward process if things go right. However with each double being unique to itself. In 2014 preparing for a buffalo hunt my buddy and I had identical 450NE doubles, literally 12 numbers apart on the ser#. Shot almost identical groups with hornaday factory DGX/DGS bullets. My 500gr Aframe load took two range sessions to dial in. Ane the 480gr CEB solids took one. Working up a basic ladder of powder charges. Now my buddies to 14 range sessions with 7 different powders and 3 seating depths to get the Aframe sorted. and the CEB never happened. so he used the factory DGS's. Have loaded for most rounds from 7x65R to 577 with most being easy and straight forward but on occasion ones that cause my "Black Magic" comment.

I want to share a little Christmas story about Gina's double rifles.... A very good AH friend of @Just Gina and mine is @Shootist43 he called the afternoon of Christmas Eve. We were on the speaker phone and chatted a bit while Gina was doing things around the house then she wanted to talk to Art. After a bit he asked her why she got the 375 double when she already had a 450/400. She simply replied "Well Art, because I wanted it." ;) Now I know too! Thanks for asking Art! :)

There are many who like big bore, just because, and that is great. But there are probably many more that like 'agequate', something that will do everything, that is easy carry, that is cheaper to shoot, easier to find ammo for, more reasonable to purchase and elegant into the bargain. The Iphisi is all of these things, I think Chapuis have a winner.

Hi Gina, Congratulations on your new double. I believe you are getting some great opinions and I would like to add one or two. When making changes on a double rifle only make one change then shoot it. If it works great! If not fix it. If you make two or more changes at the same time you will have a much harder time finding out where the problem lies.

Happy New Years, from Zimbabwe
Lon

I want to share a little Christmas story about Gina's double rifles.... A very good AH friend of @Just Gina and mine is @Shootist43 he called the afternoon of Christmas Eve. We were on the speaker phone and chatted a bit while Gina was doing things around the house then she wanted to talk to Art. After a bit he asked her why she got the 375 double when she already had a 450/400. She simply replied "Well Art, because I wanted it." ;) Now I know too! Thanks for asking Art! :)
Nothing wrong with her answer! Perfect!!!

Nothing wrong with her answer! Perfect!!!
Yup, I loved it. Same answer anyone other than maybe a Dangerous Game PH woukd give. If they are being honest about it;)

Just letting everyone know that a new batch of Iphisis have arrived from France today. I am heading to the warehouse right after I type this to see them--and perhaps to take one for myself since my sample has been "appropriated" by writers.

Just letting everyone know that a new batch of Iphisis have arrived from France today. I am heading to the warehouse right after I type this to see them--and perhaps to take one for myself since my sample has been "appropriated" by writers.
Good luck!! Pics!!

Good luck!! Pics!!
Ah, darn! I saw this only now! The wood is gorgeous on all of them, though. It looks much nicer than the nominal AAA that it's rated. Amazing figure and color.

As of today, the current arrivals are all spoken for. There are 10 more coming towards the beginning of March, and another 10 in May.

As of today, the current arrivals are all spoken for. There are 10 more coming towards the beginning of March, and another 10 in May.

Will there be any Elan’s at SCI?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you