Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, 33 US states and counting
As I posted in the Daniel Fraser topic, I had planned to go to Champlins to pick up a double rifle he had on hold for me. It was a new double and not hard to find again so when I saw some scarce treasure in the room, I changed plans. Two things were there that were bucket list items for me...the Daniel Fraser takedown and this Champlin built 458 Lott. As many of you know, Champlin used to build their own actions, octagon barrels with fully integrated sling point, 1/4 rib, sights, etc (incredible barrel), Canjar triggers, Maurice Ottmar stocks, etc. I've wanted one for about 30 years since reading about Ross Seyfried loving the Champlin rifles. He had one built in 338/378 KT like his mentor, Elmer Keith.

When I worked the action on this rifle, my mouth fell open. It's the smoothest son of a gun. There are lugs running full length on the bolt...just amazing. The stock is a working gun stock...not fancy but the inletting to get the square action and octagon barrel to fit is impressive. It will go back to Africa or Australia with me. I had a Ruger Express in 458 Lott that went to Africa as backup on my levergun elephant hunt years ago. This gun is in a whole different category than the Ruger and I love tang safeties on heavy caliber rifles. One owner gun and part of an estate sale due to his passing on. I just worked the bolt again and couldn't help but smile. Any love out there for Champlin built rifles?

Champ458LottJ78.jpg

IMG_9763.JPG

IMG_9764.JPG

IMG_9765.JPG

IMG_9766.JPG

IMG_9767.JPG

IMG_9768.JPG

IMG_9769.JPG

Fine looking rifle! Great choice.

Love it! I was able to handle a few last year and was impressed with them. I had no knowledge of them beforehand but now I really want to own one at some point. Especially as an Okie

Never had the pleasure to handle one, but that is a beautifully built rifle! Congratulations to you! Happy you you finally got a "bucket list" item!

Sweet rifle!!
Bruce

Green Chile, that will make a fine African Hunting rifle. When are you going, and what do you plan to hunt with it?

I first handled a Champlin rifle in 1975 in the "real" Eddie Bauer store in downtown Seattle. I call it "real" because in those days there was only the one store and it was a real sporting where you could purchase not only expedition grade outdoor wear but fine guns, fishing tackle, etc. Today Eddie Bauer is barely a ghost of what it once was - think also of Abercrombie & Fitch and Banana Republic. However, I digress. I agree that the original Champlin magazine rifles were the smoothest action I have ever handled. Every once in awhile I see one for sale, but have never "written the check."

Green Chile, that will make a fine African Hunting rifle. When are you going, and what do you plan to hunt with it?
That's the real question...short answer is not booked yet. I'm looking at returning to Africa (of course) but also at a Australia hunt for buffalo if travel restrictions get back to some sense of normalcy. In the meantime, I keep hunting across the US but this rifle isn't built for the US. If I can get it to Africa, I would love to do a buffalo and hippo hunt. My thought would be to take this iron sighted Champlin and a scoped .416 Rigby as the 2 guns on a hunt like that.

I agree that the original Champlin magazine rifles were the smoothest action I have ever handled. Every once in awhile I see one for sale, but have never "written the check."
I know of one or two more Champlins for sale. It's tempting to get one in a more practical caliber for everyday deer hunting, etc.

I know of one or two more Champlins for sale. It's tempting to get one in a more practical caliber for everyday deer hunting, etc.
Champlin lists a 270 - wonder if it is still there? George is sometimes slow to remove sold guns from the site and listings on GI,

It was there but he doesn't change listings immediately. My 458 Lott is still listed a week later.

It was there but he doesn't change listings immediately. My 458 Lott is still listed a week later.
I noticed that, too. Hence, my comment on the 270. Awhile back he had a vintage 577 BPE I was interested in - called George - It was long gone! Oh well.

I was going to look at the 2 Daly Lindner shotguns he had listed but they were gone too.

I had picked up a 9x57 Mauser double trigger old school from Champlin’s maybe 15 years ago. Your rifle, perhaps in 270, was listed even back then on GI online. Always a bit intrigued on the design. The 9mm Mauser had minor issues and wasn’t quite as described (purchased over phone from afar) and sold it. Sold about 200 rds Kynoch to a local German separately at a German restaurant in Fort Lauderdale of all places. My regret. If I’d seen one of the Champlins I might have bitten the bug! Only critique I could allow to be picky from the image of the bolt underside is some cosmetic machining, on the long portion set in and between the long rails, has a tad chatter and witness mark to end mill entry. The rest of the rifle is wonderfully finished - certainly what wood and barrel yes. I’m curious if you’ve pulled the stock off if there are hidden double cross bolts or how they’ve set it up for recoil, if so? Congrats on the beautiful rifle and enjoy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnswift

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you