Cast bullets

canuck4570

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I hunt moose
I have been shooting a 458 winchester since the early 70s and alway used cast bullets to hunt
my favourite loads is the Saeco mold 545 gr. wheel weight air cool

shot many moose and they just drop there....

decided to buy a Sako 85 Brown bear in 450 rigby
looking for loads and info on this cartridge I found this forum that I find interesting and full of info
has far has I can see I could be of help with reduced loads and full in the cast department and north american hunter.... cast are effective and permits you to shoot moore with the big bore...
will begin to shoot my 450 has soon has the snow melt
will do my best to post result.....

Welcome to our place @canuck4570 Cast bullets are certainly good killers of game and of course are excellent for practice loads not just in the big bore. I have moulds for a mine from 6.5 up to 40. Had moulds for the 404 Jeffery and 458's but sold the rifles and the moulds.

Welcome to AH canuck4570!

Welcome canuck4570 to AH! Glad to have another neighbor from the fridge north!

Welcome aboard canuck4570. Have you looked into any of the forums that might be of interest to you?

How does the case volume of the 450 Rigby compare to other more established rounds of the same caliber such as the 460 Weatherby or 500/450 3 1/4" (NE/BPE)?

These have been around long enough for a wide variety of loads to have been developed and might give you some good ideas where to start.

You could also use one of the internal ballistic programs. You'll just need to measure case volume via filling it even with the mouth with water and weighing it. Best way to do it is to weigh the case empty, fill with water than weigh again and subtract case weight.

Either method, give yourself a 5-10% starting margin and work up/down in small increments.

Happy shooting!

The 450 Rigby case capacity is about 3.5% less than the 460 Weatherby.

Throat length (freebore) is another matter to consider...

this is the 550 gr cast that I will start with this summer
my goal is to duplicate the normal factory load of 2100 fps
9J9X6ME.jpg

Attachments

• 9J9X6ME.jpg
    9J9X6ME.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 202
Last edited by a moderator:
the bullet above shot good in this rifle
its a Steyr big bore in 450 marlin scope in Night Force 2x10-42
shot at 1600 fps with target....

f68CfOl.jpg

Attachments

• f68CfOl.jpg
    f68CfOl.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois