Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
Wasn't sure if this would go into the "bow hunting section" but alas I think it's worthy of its own merits. This guy is slightly off I agree and almost killed himself in South Africa several years ago when he speared himself in the leg. You could see the femoral artery pumping blood out his thigh but you'll have to search for that one as this video is of him stalking an apparently wild cape buffalo and spearing him at 5 yards. Hunter is Tim Wells and famous for his spear hunting and shooting flying birds with his bow. When I first saw mention of the hunt I figured it was going to be SA farm buffalo (none the less dangerous) but appears that was not the case.
Ballsy for sure. Not sure what his life insurance rates must run.

Balls of steel for sure. That guy is an incredible story teller! He actually has a video of him spearing a grizzly, as well as killing a black bear with a blowgun from the ground.

Watch him all the time on YouTube. Great personality and a master with bow and spear.

If I remembered correctly this was in Mozambique.

Extreme Sports comes to hunting. I should think it is only a matter of time before one of his exploits goes pear shaped, and no doubt a lot of folks will have to break their routine to sort out the mess. I can't get warm about silly stuff.

Wasn't sure if this would go into the "bow hunting section" but alas I think it's worthy of its own merits. This guy is slightly off I agree and almost killed himself in South Africa several years ago when he speared himself in the leg. You could see the femoral artery pumping blood out his thigh but you'll have to search for that one as this video is of him stalking an apparently wild cape buffalo and spearing him at 5 yards. Hunter is Tim Wells and famous for his spear hunting and shooting flying birds with his bow. When I first saw mention of the hunt I figured it was going to be SA farm buffalo (none the less dangerous) but appears that was not the case.
Ballsy for sure. Not sure what his life insurance rates must run.

This hunt was conducted in Mozambique and guided by a close friend, Russel Lovemore (Safari Trails International/Mozambique)
Definitely a challenging and ground breaking safari.
Best as always
Jaco

We used to guide Tim, Buck & Lynn the Relentless Pursuit/Cold Steel guys all the time on Buffalo, Wild Cattle & Boar, it was always a tough hunt on us, the Boys made for a lot of work, Tim is a incredible Bow shot & hunter, Lynn is a fantastic pistol shot & good bloke when you get to know him & Buck was great fun also, I miss them last few years !

The Boys made several stalks & some Spear kills with us, but one that sticks out was a Bull Tim speared just as it turned & the spear struck the Bull in the head, sunk in, then sticking out like a great Unicorn horn it came straight at him !

The amazing part (aside from him surviving that is) is the spears had cameras on them, well this one flew off the spear & filmed the action upside down from the side, not sure if it made it to the screen as lower qualty footage as I remamber but cool to see !

Extreme Sports comes to hunting. I should think it is only a matter of time before one of his exploits goes pear shaped, and no doubt a lot of folks will have to break their routine to sort out the mess. I can't get warm about silly stuff.
he was stabbed in the leg a while back. He is incredible with a bow bird hunting as well. He does some crazy stuff but clearly knows the risk and loves it.

This hunt was conducted in Mozambique and guided by a close friend, Russel Lovemore (Safari Trails International/Mozambique)
Definitely a challenging and ground breaking safari.
Best as always
Jaco
Probably lucky to find a safari company willing to sign on to the risk

I find it funny, people have a problem with shooting animals at XXX distance. Same people want to get within 30 yards of their Buffalo. Then people complain that Tim gets to close. Tim is a cool guy and takes hunting back to before guns were invented. It is a true essence of hunting, as long as it is ethical distance, spear or bow. Have fun do you, everyone gets something different from the experience. Goal is a fast ethical kill, after that is their really anything to talk about?

Before anyone says it's DG, we all take the risk when we sign up for the hunt.

Last edited:
I find it funny, people have a problem with shooting animals at XXX distance. Same people want to get within 30 yards of their Buffalo. Then people complain that Tim gets to close. Tim is a cool guy and takes hunting back to before guns were invented. It is a true essence of hunting, as long as it is ethical distance, spear or bow. Have fun do you, everyone gets something different from the experience. Goal is a fast ethical kill, after that is their really anything to talk about?

Before anyone says it's DG, we all take the risk when we sign up for the hunt.
True.
My best always.
Jaco

I would not do it, but... I have to admit, this guy has courage :D Cheers:

My first thought was the guy must have serious stalking skills to get close enough to kill stuff with a spear. Would I try it, no, but I can barely throw a baseball across the yard to my kid LOL. But would I get that close if I could with my double rifle backed up by a PH I trust with another rifle, yes. Hunting up close is fun.

First day of my hunt last June I used the 30-06 , scoped on a springbok. Next day hunted and bagged a nice cat with the 470 double rifle with a red dot. I was hooked by getting so close, all other animals I hunted was with the double rifle, stalking up close.

I rather mess up a stalk on a once of a lifetime trophy animal, let's say a record sable, by trying to get real close than shoot it at 300 meters.

They said if you hunt buffalo with a 458 win mag you have a death wish. Here comes Tim!

I can't get behind the guy. Something will probably happen end up being bigger than Cecil for a few months. More bad publicity for hunting and conservation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois