Cape Buffalo meat

Somewhat off topic but my boy really wanted to try the meat from his zebra, his first African animal. The fillets were taken out midmorning and put in Coke all day. Later that evening they were put on the braai.......to everyone's surprise they were quite tender and tasty.

I prefer bourbon, Bookers, with my steaks!

Thanks all for your advice.
It seems that the meat is still edible of the cow after a miscarriage. At R15 per kilo ($1.2 for 2.2 pound) I will definitely buy.

Hi all. Thanks for all the info supplied.

Here is just some feedback related to my question. Last night at our monthly club meeting a vet gave us a very good lecture on diseases that can be found in animals and which may infect humans and what symptoms a hunter should look for. I discussed my question with him and he stated if it’s a natural miscarriage the meat is still edible. If the mother is infected with certain diseases precaution must be taken and the meat must be considered as not edible. Freezing of the meat might kill the infection but not recommended.

Upon further investigation on the two specific buffalos and the area they belong too I found it was infected with CA or Bovine brucellosis Synonyms: Contagious abortion (CA); (besmetlike misgeboorte - Afrikaans). So in my case I will not buy any of this meat. Better be safe than sorry. It really pays to ask the stupid (or correct) questions and be properly informed. Here’s a link to some more info.

Happy hunting and enjoy the steaks.

http://www.daff.gov.za/docs/Infopaks/brucellosis.htm

http://www.ais.up.ac.za/vet/tlo/vtd/coetzer2004/godfroid1510.pdf

Attachments

• godfroid1510.pdf
    998.2 KB · Views: 188
Somewhat off topic but my boy really wanted to try the meat from his zebra, his first African animal. The fillets were taken out midmorning and put in Coke all day. Later that evening they were put on the braai.......to everyone's surprise they were quite tender and tasty.

For as often as you hear that Zebra neat is "bad" a lot of people sure like it!!! :)

It really pays to ask the stupid (or correct) questions and be properly informed.

This ended up being a great question and made total sense to me once put in context. Glad you asked it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois