Cape Buffalo meat

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by BigJohnx13, Jun 1, 2015.

1. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Somewhat off topic but my boy really wanted to try the meat from his zebra, his first African animal. The fillets were taken out midmorning and put in Coke all day. Later that evening they were put on the braai.......to everyone's surprise they were quite tender and tasty.

Velo Dog likes this.

2. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    I prefer bourbon, Bookers, with my steaks!

siml and Velo Dog like this.

3. BigJohnx13

BigJohnx13 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Thanks all for your advice.
    It seems that the meat is still edible of the cow after a miscarriage. At R15 per kilo ($1.2 for 2.2 pound) I will definitely buy.

4. BigJohnx13

BigJohnx13 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hi all. Thanks for all the info supplied.

Here is just some feedback related to my question. Last night at our monthly club meeting a vet gave us a very good lecture on diseases that can be found in animals and which may infect humans and what symptoms a hunter should look for. I discussed my question with him and he stated if it’s a natural miscarriage the meat is still edible. If the mother is infected with certain diseases precaution must be taken and the meat must be considered as not edible. Freezing of the meat might kill the infection but not recommended.

Upon further investigation on the two specific buffalos and the area they belong too I found it was infected with CA or Bovine brucellosis Synonyms: Contagious abortion (CA); (besmetlike misgeboorte - Afrikaans). So in my case I will not buy any of this meat. Better be safe than sorry. It really pays to ask the stupid (or correct) questions and be properly informed. Here’s a link to some more info.

Happy hunting and enjoy the steaks.

http://www.daff.gov.za/docs/Infopaks/brucellosis.htm

http://www.ais.up.ac.za/vet/tlo/vtd/coetzer2004/godfroid1510.pdf

Attached Files:

Royal27 likes this.

5. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    For as often as you hear that Zebra neat is "bad" a lot of people sure like it!!! :)

This ended up being a great question and made total sense to me once put in context. Glad you asked it!!