Canted reticle in a Swarovski scope

Ole Bally

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Is there anywhere in South Africa that can fix a canted reticle in a fixed power Swarovski scope for me?

I was given it so I'm not the first owner and don't have the warranty documents for it.

Thanks. ..as I understand it, it'll cost me about 400US $ to get it there and back in about 4 months.
What are your thoughts?

I think it will cost you $35 to mail it to Austria and I think they'll find it is a defect they will fix free. If they want to charge you $400 tell them to keep it. I wager they will opt to stand by it.

I'm have to send it from SA. Embargo on Zimbabwe and all that!
I'll check it out!
I didn't think it would be a tough fix for a competent/experienced person in SA!

I'm have to send it from SA. Embargo on Zimbabwe and all that!
I'll check it out!
I didn't think it would be a tough fix for a competent/experienced person in SA!

I assumed a half ass repair, no nitrogen purge, no correct gaskets to replace those removed during the procedure.

Basically, your garden variety African repair job in lieu of precision work done in Austria by a professional that dedicated 30 years of their life to working on a precision instrument.

Ernie, I assume you have someone is SA that can help you ship the scope.
If not let me know and I'll call in a favor for you.

Stay safe.

Send it back to Swarovski, I had to send a scope back and no paperwork was required

And Ernie, please don't take my slander at lousy African repair skills to heart. America also has half-ass scope repair skills. We gave away our manufacturing base and skilled labor and are now imbeciles. The Germanic people retained theirs.

One scope repair firm in the states charges $200 per scope plus parts and labor (that's a cleaning quote) and they are back logged over a year.

You have an heirloom quality optic and nothing new for under $1000 is superior, I just don't want it ruined by tampering American or African hands!

I'm reluctant to mention this, but is it possible that the scope rotated slightly in the rings? I've never heard of or seen the lenses rotate internally on a high end scope. But then no-one has heard and seen everything.

I'm reluctant to mention this, but is it possible that the scope rotated slightly in the rings? I've never heard of or seen the lenses rotate internally on a high end scope. But then no-one has heard and seen everything.

You're assuming the reticle is etched to the lens and that moved. It may be a freestanding reticle that rotated...or the glass.

Chances are the seals leaked and it needs cleaning, nitrogen purge, repair and new seals. Piece of cake for Swaro, likely a botch job for anyone else.

Swarovski has great warranty service and they stand by their product. I would send it to them. Had an issue with brand new binocs a couple of years ago. I called them and boom they sent what I needed within a week. And really it was no questions asked.

And Ernie, please don't take my slander at lousy African repair skills to heart. America also has half-ass scope repair skills. We gave away our manufacturing base and skilled labor and are now imbeciles. The Germanic people retained theirs.

One scope repair firm in the states charges $200 per scope plus parts and labor (that's a cleaning quote) and they are back logged over a year.

You have an heirloom quality optic and nothing new for under $1000 is superior, I just don't want it ruined by tampering American or African hands!

You overestimate the "skills of the Germanic peoples" After the 5 years in Germany the myth of "German engineering" is fully busted. Drive a BMW/Mercedes/Audi out of warranty then let me know about those Germanic skills....

Why the need to insult Americans as imbeciles to prove your point?

You overestimate the "skills of the Germanic peoples" After the 5 years in Germany the myth of "German engineering" is fully busted. Drive a BMW/Mercedes/Audi out of warranty then let me know about those Germanic skills....

Why the need to insult Americans as imbeciles to prove your point?

Because every guidance counselor in America for the past 30 years told us all we're losers if we don't go to a four year degree or more and learn a white collar profession. Now there is no gen X or Gen Y employment base to service a Bridgeport, rebuild a Heidelberg printing press, calibrate a rifle scope or build an octagon to round rifle barrel.

We've become imbeciles and can no longer make anything. Show me a carpenter under 50 that can even cut risers for a staircase.

Well, I can't disagree about about college, it has ruined a lot of lives with college debt and a lack of marketable skills. Not sure what a Heidelberg printing is but if it was built in Germany chances are it is needlessly complicated. I have no idea what the state of US Rifle Scope repair is but I ave many Leupold rifle scopes and the one that did need reapir came back functioning perfectly.

So maybe not everyone in America is an imbecile.

For excellent examples of Germanic skills look up the recall and issues with the Walther CCP and go change the oil on a 2005 BMW GS650 motorcycle (assuming you have all afternoon)

The germans ain't all they are cracked up to be, including their optics

Is there anywhere in South Africa that can fix a canted reticle in a fixed power Swarovski scope for me?

I suggest very strongly to send to Swarovski
Personally I have never heard of that problem before
I have heard of cross hairs on a cheap scope detach because of heavy recoil
I have sent a scope back to Leupold and it was fixed w no issues
I also have Swarovski on my 270 - magnificent
The chanting of the reticle is a true mystery

I assumed a half ass repair, no nitrogen purge, no correct gaskets to replace those removed during the procedure.

Basically, your garden variety African repair job in lieu of precision work done in Austria by a professional that dedicated 30 years of their life to working on a precision instrument.
Why make an assumption that? No one has opened it nor fiddled with its guts that I can see. its still in its original box and wrappings. It has been on a gun though. The reticle is just canted is all.

Maybe it was just a Monday build !

The scope is not mounted anymore. The Crosshairs are not lined up with the turrets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg