Cancellation Leopard Hunt Zambia

A couple of baits in May this year, Lion, Leopard, Hyena.
05210017.jpg

05290435.jpg

hyena-mbizi.jpg

Michael;
I'm actually breathing a sigh of relief that your deal is not quite what it seemed in the first post... I was seriously thinking I had to find a way to fit this into my schedule at that original price, even though I just got a leopard last fall and really don't have time.... I agree that for Zambia this is still a great price, however not the super fantastic deal it first appeared to be.

Respectfully and for your future reference, I do believe the rules for posting an ad are that all costs need to be included and it should be spelled out clearly what is and is not included and what extra costs are... It is very frustrating for a client to conclude his safari only to be told there are additional fees due at the end that were not expected... and especially if they are brought up after tips are paid... The good thing about ads on AH are that they are required to spell this all out so there are no surprises. Better for clients and much better for outfitters.

As soon as I saw the ad, I went to your web site looking for those trophy fee prices for bait, but could not find them. And just because it is normal to add trophy fees in Zambia, many of us don't know that.

So thanks for clarifying all this now and best of luck selling this hunt, I hear you have a fantastic place and I'm sure whomever is able to take you up on this deal will have success and a great time!

All in ALL it's a pretty good price to hunt Zambia , you can't always say it but Leopard success if pretty much 100% in Zambia. Better than Zim, Nambia or others. Daylight hunting is good there. Lots of CATS. Zambia is a beautiful place and if your looking for MR SPOTS. This is good not a huge deal but worth it of your thinking of going there. Mbizi is correct going rate for Leopard hunt, trophy fees and dip pack is running 30K in Zambia right now and mots outfitters are only getting 4-6 leopard tags or less a season.

Thank's ActionBob for your input, always interesting to hear your point. But the final price = the price for the safari it's never including trophy fee. Regarding rules for posting I can tell you that Sonja at AH was helping us to creating this offer for Mbizi, and it's for me very clear that the price was NOT including trophy fee in the final price. Now I have asked Sonja to put it there anyhow.

Furthermore I can guarantee you that we are extremely serious and in normal case we only fallowing the price list and don't give any discounts, we did a special buffalo package for 2017 that including trophy fee in other wise it's never happens. I don't know if there is any leopard package that include trophy fee in Africa ? There is probably and then some of them asking for a high price including the cat, and when no cat is taken = the outfitter say "cést la vie" that's hunting ....

The main reason that I don't like to go that line to including game is because there is so many different clients with different way of hunting experience, so what happens when a client got a cat on bait within perfect conditions, but for some kind of reason he/she can't take the shot ? Or even take the shot but missing and with a leopard included it will most probably be a discussion.

In Zambia it's not possible to get a lion or leopard included, and for me it's a proper offer that you pay what you shooting, no shooting = no trophy fee.

All the best,
Michael

In Zambia it's not possible to get a lion or leopard included, and for me it's a proper offer that you pay what you shooting, no shooting = no trophy fee

Perhaps the habit here in Zambia should change with the times? I'm not an international hunter but if I was one I would want to know the full amount of money that I would have to part with for a safari/hunt before I booked. I see lots of offers on this forum and they mostly (if not all) include all fees; daily rates, trophy etc.

Just looking at the number of AH members hunting in South Africa compared to Zambia I'm thinking that perhaps changing "the way we do it" may go some way to realigning the imbalance. I understand that due to logistical costs and government fees etc Zambia will probably never be as "cheap" a hunting destination as South Africa (nor should it necessarily strive to be as the product on offer is quite so different) however altering some conventions, such as including trophy fee in a "final price" should IMO be considered.

In Zambia it's not possible to get a lion or leopard included, and for me it's a proper offer that you pay what you shooting, no shooting = no trophy fee.

@ActionBob @Mbizi Safaris I think there is a comms break down.
There is NO need/rule to include the trophy fee in the price as an "inclusive" offer.
ie. "Package" or "All Inclusive offer."
Listing the trophy fee in the offer lets the hunter know it is to be added upon success and how much.

Adding trophy fees is common practice and knowledge across southern Africa. (We all know that)

I'm not knowledgeable about these hunts but it appears you also have to pay to shoot game for bait?

Of course you pay for bait animals. When is hunting free?

I normally stay out of conversations like this however I think most of the people that read this post were under the same impression as Bob. I certainly was and like him I was seriously considering trying to fit the hunt into my schedule and budget.

Perhaps a simple way to avoid this type of confusion in the future would be to add a statement regarding the additional trophy fee as well as any other fees that are not included in the rate quoted. Most outfitters that post here on a regular basis do this, I believe, in the spirit of full disclosure.

I don't think anything was purposefully omitted here and glad to see that no rules were broken (I honestly thought same as Bob, so thanks for clarifying Wayne).

That being said, it definitely makes it easier to know all prices upfront in an offer, both ways. How many times have we seen the question "what's the refund if I don't get cat?" in an "all inclusive " offer? It's the same thing here, just in reverse.

Regardless, this is still a good deal for a Zambian cat and if someone can make it last minute they should have a great hunt.

Of course you pay for bait animals. When is hunting free?
Well I would have assumed it was included in the cost of the leopard hunt since it's obviously a required part of the hunt to bait them in. Never occurred to me that they would charge you fees to shoot an animal to use for bait.

Well I would have assumed it was included in the cost of the leopard hunt since it's obviously a required part of the hunt to bait them in. Never occurred to me that they would charge you fees to shoot an animal to use for bait.

Very, very common for bait to not be included. An outfitter might include X baits as part of an offer, but not just "give" them. Same for a lion hunt by the way, or anything else that is baited. I hunted honey badger and paid for the baits.

Reactions: cls
Very, very common for bait to not be included. An outfitter might include X baits as part of an offer, but not just "give" them. Same for a lion hunt by the way, or anything else that is baited. I hunted honey badger and paid for the baits.
My only experience with baited hunts is a couple of Canadian bear hunts and there was no extra charge for bait so it's new to me.

My only experience with baited hunts is a couple of Canadian bear hunts and there was no extra charge for bait so it's new to me.

Understood.

It's why this place is so awesome. You can learn a LOT and avoid some pitfalls by having conversations just like this one. :)

I thinks it's just a little wording issue. I believe the majority of people who first looked at the ad saw the wording "final price"

To me when you say that, you think total, complete costs.

If it said "hunt cost" and then trophy fee right below it that would clear any confusion I would have.

Best of luck selling the hunt!

I have spoken with Mike for almost 2 years about Leopard hunts. I can promise you he is not trying to deceive anyone, the all in package is taxes, transfers, etc etc. He has shown be a bunch of leopards in the daytime. Like many of you thought this was the deal of a lifetime as Zambian leopard hunts are easily 30k+.

It is pretty standard to have to shoot bait and hunting in July is a good time as it is cooler and the bait will keep longer.

This is a good price, with a good outfitter in a brand new camp that looks 1st class. Hope someone can take advantage of it.

Regarding the baits it was from the start written that the baits is discounted with -50 % on non trophy game, and the error with the trophy fee is corrected from Sonya at AH yesterday.

In the meantime if someone have any questions you are most welcome to PM me, thanks.

M

Last edited by a moderator:
MEMBERS: Michael references Sonja and I doubt many of you know that Sonja is the "AH Assistant". She is a behind the scenes member of the moderating team that tries to assist Sponsors. Evidently, she is not perfect. It's a cultural language issue, get over it. This is a WORLD WIDE forum.

I have to point out just a few of the read between the lines points here:

1. This is the FIRST year that Mbizi has been open to hunting!

2. This hunt is to be conducted in a 49,000 acre private reserve that is a wild area, not on a cattle ranch where the Leopard has his choice of domestic animals (Donkey,Goats and Cattle). It is not a communal area, etc.

3. Did you notice, one of the trail cam pictures is in the day light? Leopard in the daylight! Did you notice the date of the baiting? May.

4. Have a look at the daylight pictures of WILD lions. http://www.mbizisafariszambia.com/gallery.html

I expect that like Bruickburn says its a communication/cultural thing going on. The good part is that it is all cleared up before someone decided to take it. For the hunter that wants a leopard this is a great one to take. Sure you could go to Namibia for 40% less, but the odds of taking a leopard drop noticeably. I have read of some hunters going 3 and even 4 times to get a cat. If you can shoot at all then this should be a slam dunk! I'd always rather pay a little more for a almost certain opportunity. Some of the other places are maybe 50%.
Wish I could go.... Just had both knees replaced last week so a July hunt is not in the cards......Good luck. Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg